We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Oils and low porosity hair

SGWavySGWavy Posts: 15Registered Users
Just wanted to hear your feedback re: using oils in your hair?

Do you use hot oil treatments with any success? Anytime I've done it with EVOO my hair is a hot mess!

And putting coconut oil on my ends after showering resulted in dry ends.

I want to try steaming with coconut oil as a pre-poo, but am afraid!

Comments

• crimsonpeachcrimsonpeach Posts: 50Registered Users
    My hair doesn't absorb coconut oil. It sits on the top forever. It does better with jojoba and grapeseed oil.
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users
    SGWavy wrote: »
    Just wanted to hear your feedback re: using oils in your hair?

Do you use hot oil treatments with any success? Anytime I've done it with EVOO my hair is a hot mess!

And putting coconut oil on my ends after showering resulted in dry ends.

I want to try steaming with coconut oil as a pre-poo, but am afraid!

You should try it, I bet it would work much better as a pre-poo. Try using a lighter, breathable oil on your ends after showering (like almond, jojoba, or grapeseed).
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    I've actually been using coconut oil.

Jen :D

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FAfroCurls.wordpress.com" class="Popup
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • famus_darlingfamus_darling Posts: 85Registered Users
    I use a little grape seed oil in my prepoo. It's not really a hot oil, but I do set under a plastic cap and my body heat does make it warm. I'm thinking of trying avocado oil agin, but my hair does not like coconut oil. I think it's the protein for me.
    Me: 3c, very thick
    BC- May 2010
    Current routine:
    pre poo: avacado, banana babyfood, grapeseed oil, and silk amino acid. Cleanser: DC No Poo 1x a week and BC 1x a week. DT: GVP Cond balm and grape seed oil
    Co-wash: GVP CD, TJ tea tree
    Leave-in: GVP CD, TJ tea tree, and grape seed oil
    Styling: HETT and castor oil
    DD (8 & 6 yo): both4s (1 thick, 2 thin) – keep in 2strand twists
    DD (4yo): 3b (very thin, hard to grow) – keep in single braids with lots of beads for protection
  • SGWavySGWavy Posts: 15Registered Users
    Hey y'all, so I'm sooo happy I found something that works for me (finally!) :D

I applied grape seed oil on DRY hair from mid-shaft to ends, then hot towel + plastic bag + t-shirt around my hair every 20 minutes for an hour...then I co-washed it with suave cond., then conditioned as usual and VOILA beautiful hair the next day :) :) :)

The next time I co-washed my hair first (so hair was wet, not dry), then applied the oil to ONLY the ends. Today, my hair is a hot, crunchy, oily, tangly mess! Lol this is no different then when I used coconut and EVO oil. So I think I know what I was doing wrong.

Side note...do you use a lowpoo to get the oil out, or have you had luck just co-washing?? How do you avoid build-up for the oil? (Or is build up a non-issue?)
  • Libra_MoonLibra_Moon Posts: 255Registered Users
    My hair loves coconut and argan oils!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlTalk App with accidental obvious autocorrect errors throughout.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing out Pixie since 5-10-2008 with some trims and anxiety chops along the way...
    hair details: BSL(c)/MBL(s) - 2b/2c (MPD if truth be told) - f/m, iii, porosity med-low.
    Please feel free to follow my FB blog page as I go through Cosmetology school abd beyond
    what else do you need/want to know? Blame all spelling mistakes on me, my fat fingers or autocorrect.
    oh yeah, and I'm newly gluten free...thanks to celiac
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It would take my hair a few days to absorb that much oil--even if I sat under my hard hat dryer for the entire time! I use minute amounts of really rich products most of the time, in addition to frequent haircuts.

Most of the time, it takes my hair a while to absorb my styling products even after my hair drys. My hair just gets better as the day goes on.

I'd be careful of using oils and butters in copious amounts if your hair is truly low porosity.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Leigh'07Leigh'07 Posts: 183Registered Users
    My hair loves coconut and olive oil. Those are the only one I've tried that my hair absorbs. I've tried jojoba, grapeseed, almond, and avacado. They just sit on my hair.

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App
    hair properties: low porosity, coarse, dense and predominantly 3b I guess

current products:
    conditioner - suave professionals
    leave in - suave naturals
    stylers - shea moisture smoothie and xtreme gel
    I tried using coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment today. It was ehh...I did it because I wanted to use ABBA Pure Moisture (i.e. a sulfate-free shampoo that lathers quite a bit) and didn't want my hair to feel rough or tangly. Well, the shampoo got most of the oil out and my hair was kind of tangly, so that was disappointing. I think this is one of those things you have to do on a consistent basis in order to see results. Not sure if I'm up for that just now.

I still like applying a small amount of argan oil to my hair in between rinse/condition's...that works fine in conjunction with my frequent use of CJ Daily Fix.
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • SistapopdemcurlSistapopdemcurl Posts: 225Registered Users
    My hair loves coconut oil too as a prepoo. I can only use jojoba and sweet almond oil to seal in the moisture. Avocado oil makes my ends knotted.
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    Leigh'07 wrote: »
    My hair loves coconut and olive oil. Those are the only one I've tried that my hair absorbs. I've tried jojoba, grapeseed, almond, and avacado. They just sit on my hair.

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App

The same for me!
    And my hair likes wheat germ oil mixed with conditioner in a DT.
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • JoJoFreeJoJoFree Posts: 110Registered Users
    I pre-poo with may favorite oils religiously. I apply my oil mix, cover with plastic cap and sit under dryer about 1 hour. If I am short on time I will apply oil and cover with cap an scarf and leave overnight.
    I follow with shampoo and conditioner.
    The key is heat with our hair, either dryer or body heat.
  • diasporadiaspora Posts: 596Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm scared to use oils even as treatments because when used pure on dry hair, even in tiny amounts, I get awful frizz. It's like every strand of hair starts going its own way.

I use coconut oil as my body moisturizer after showering, and if I just wipe off my hands and touch my 2nd day hair, I get frizz wherever I've touched. I have to wash it off my hands. Using conditioners, stylers or leave-ins that include oil seems to be ok though, as long as other ingredients come first. I'm beginning to wonder if my hair would look better if I limited oils even more.
    Formerly Urbancurl.
    Medium-high density, fine-medium, low-normal porosity, 3b/c, permanent color.
    CG, no heat, combs, brushes, parabens.
    Fall/Winter HG=Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream.
    Spring/Summer HG=MGA Sculpting Gel
    Current fave LI=Madre Labs Made by Nature for Baby Conditioner.
    Limit oils, butters, glycerin.
  • JessiebananaJessiebanana Posts: 940Banned Users
    I use a little grape seed oil in my prepoo. It's not really a hot oil, but I do set under a plastic cap and my body heat does make it warm. I'm thinking of trying avocado oil agin, but my hair does not like coconut oil. I think it's the protein for me.

Coconut oil doesn't contain protein, only the milk.

THE NATURAL HAVEN: Protein Treatments, Coconut Oil and Natural Hair

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Vegetable oil, coconut
    3C/Fine to Medium/Low Porosity/High Density

:love5:MoistureMoistureMoisture:love5:

Low Poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    RO/DC: DB Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: Queen Helene Sculpturing Gel & Glaze

No Salts, No Waxes, No Butters, No Heavy Oils
    No ACV, No Saponified Oils, Protein Sensitive
  • Mwah LynxMwah Lynx Posts: 61Registered Users
    Lol when I used coconut oil, I've never had something make my hair look so good but feel like I'm missing tumbleweeds roll over it along with the screech of a desert hawk. But back when I used it, I didn't heat it up, so I'll try that this time and see..
    Argan oil is light and it not only dries my hair out, it dries my skin out.
    I like using peanut oil (heated up) since it makes my hair feel relatively moisturized, and softens my hair which I like.
    Olive oil.. Eh.. Not as good as peanut oil for me but if I'm desperate, it'll do.
    I'm going to try grapeseed oil and jojoba though since I hear good things about it.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk(;
  • guthak01guthak01 Posts: 188Registered Users
    This is slightly off topic, slightly on topic as it deals with oil, but what do you all do for swimming? I have heard of wetting hair, then applying conditioner, or applying oil. I have not tried this yet, but was wondering if the oil could be an issue.
    3a/3b, Low porosity, Medium Density
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
    RO: Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Aussie Instant Freeze or LALSG
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    I'd like to add that I never use plain oil in dry hair. I always use it in either wet or damp (misted) hair.

As for swimming, I first wet my hair with plain water, then add a moisturizing conditioner with natural oils in it and put my hair in a braid and/or up. If you don't have a condish containing oils, you can add them yourself.
    A sort of DT while you're swimming ;-)

Sent from my HTC Legend
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
    Lately I have been putting avocado oil on my dry hair, focusing on the ends, with a plastic cap and leaving in overnight before I shampoo in the morning (I only shampoo once a week or every other week). Turns out really nicely, I get shine, no tangles and good clumping. I thought the coconut oil might have been too heavy, but I probably just used too much. Being that my hair is fine, I have to be careful not to use too much of most things. I cannot use straight oil on wet hair so this is the best way for me to get the benefits of oiling on my hair.

I would say if you want to use oil and co-wash it out without it being too much, try a lighter oil or use less on the hair, just enough for the hair to soak it in overnight.
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • DivaCheetah224DivaCheetah224 Posts: 22Registered Users
    My hair is fine and low porosity so I use light oils and herbs for a prepoo steam treatment then co wash in the shower.
    I tried using an oil to seal my hair. What a nightmare! I thought there was no way a little oil could mess my hair up so much. I ended up having to clarify, then I over compensated, and am now overconditioned. So i am currentlyl sitting with a protein treatment in my hair. Grr. I guess I learned a valuable lesson: stop expirementing if everything is working!
  • diasporadiaspora Posts: 596Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    guthak01 wrote: »
    I tried using an oil to seal my hair. What a nightmare! I thought there was no way a little oil could mess my hair up so much. I ended up having to clarify, then I over compensated, and am now overconditioned. So i am currentlyl sitting with a protein treatment in my hair. Grr. I guess I learned a valuable lesson: stop expirementing if everything is working!

Oil that I am not rinsing out is a nightmare for my hair too, unless it's low on the list of my leave-in or styler. But that's another thread, lol. Glad you figured out it doesn't work for your hair so you don't have to encounter that problem again.

Yeah, it can be tough to stick with products/routine that work when you are reading about so many other products that sound so amazing, or think your hair, looking good, could look even better! But it's much cheaper and you have much less bad hair days if you stick with just a couple things you know work for you.

I have my stuff that works in cool, dry weather, and my stuff that works in hot, humid weather (though nothing gives me fool-proof perfect results when I go out when it's super hot, humid, high dews, and/or rainy, particularly if I am leaving the house while my hair is still pretty wet, before the cast has set).

Routine is much more important for me in spring/summer too, than it is in fall/winter. I don't need to do the whole dripping-wet hair thing in fall or winter-- can just rake, smooth, and go (I air dry) in those seasons. In spring summer, most days, whether I use conditioner only or an additional styler, I really need to do the sopping wet hair thing, which I kind of hate because it takes so long to dry and is drippy and messy :( But otherwise, my hair is an inconsistent mess of nicely formed curls/clumps and sections of frizz. Not pretty.

But adding oil after I've gotten out of the shower is always bad news!
    Formerly Urbancurl.
    Medium-high density, fine-medium, low-normal porosity, 3b/c, permanent color.
    CG, no heat, combs, brushes, parabens.
    Fall/Winter HG=Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream.
    Spring/Summer HG=MGA Sculpting Gel
    Current fave LI=Madre Labs Made by Nature for Baby Conditioner.
    Limit oils, butters, glycerin.
    I was pretty shocked by how much my hair did not take to oil. Before this, I hadn't come across any ingredients that my hair reacted badly towards. However, oils do work if they are in other products, but pure oils are a nightmare.
  • SpiralSpunkSpiralSpunk Posts: 243Registered Users
    I do use oils in my deep moisture treatments (and store bought ones will generally contain them anyway). I let my treatments sit overnight and I don't mind my hair being weighed down for that time because I just co-wash it out in the morning anyway. I don't do moisturizing treatments that often though - I'm usually doing protien.

I don't really do oils alone I always add them into a conditioner. I did just start sealing with whipped Shea butter to see how I like it and I think I like it so far.
  • CandaceWCandaceW Posts: 3Registered Users
    That is all I use - Vatika oil. Vatika oil is coconut oil on steroids with all kinds of added herbs. You can find it in Indian grocery stores or order it online through Amazon.

I warm up the bottle in a pot of hot water, then put about 5-6 tablespoons in my hair concentrating on the ends. Cover it with a plastic cap and a sleep cap (to keep it from falling off), and leave it on for about 2 hours or overnight. In the morning or after the 2 hours have elapsed, I wash my hair, then apply a leave in conditioner and either flax seed gel or oil of the day (lol!), then I twist or braid my hair. Its now twice as long as it was when I started being natural in 2009.

I find it hard to believe it when people say their hair doesn't like coconut oil. What I've found is either their hair was coated with some other sealants so the coconut oil couldn't do its job and get to the cortex or their hair strands, OR they used a cheap coconut oil they bought in the hood that had other oils mixed in so it wasn't PURE VIRGIN ORGANIC coconut oil which will cost you a bit of change.

But that's okay, just pick up some Vatika oil. There are no cheap imitations. It's either Vatika or its not. And you will get to see the way it can help your hair become healthy and long without breaking.
  • barcemadisbarcemadis Posts: 25Registered Users
    I really like Argan oil, but I only use a few drops at a time. I mix 4 or 5 drops with a little water and protein spray in my palm and scrunch it on dry hair, just the ends. I use it sometimes to scrunch out the crunch and sometimes just as a boost. I also massage two drops into my scalp before bed sometimes, if my roots feel extra dry. As long as I use a minuscule amount, I don't seem to have trouble with it.

Olive oil, on the other hand, just sits on my hair and never absorbs, and I have a heck of a time washing it out, even with low poo. I want to try coconut oil but haven't yet.
  • NeekolassifyNeekolassify Posts: 20Registered Users
    barcemadis wrote: »
    I really like Argan oil, but I only use a few drops at a time. I mix 4 or 5 drops with a little water and protein spray in my palm and scrunch it on dry hair, just the ends. I use it sometimes to scrunch out the crunch and sometimes just as a boost. I also massage two drops into my scalp before bed sometimes, if my roots feel extra dry. As long as I use a minuscule amount, I don't seem to have trouble with it.

Olive oil, on the other hand, just sits on my hair and never absorbs, and I have a heck of a time washing it out, even with low poo. I want to try coconut oil but haven't yet.

This is odd... I can cowash out the heaviest amount of olive oil and coconut oil and my hair feels soft! Yet products just sit on my hair... I'm wondering if I'm even low porosity anymore :-|
  • DanielleTodayDanielleToday Posts: 8Registered Users
    I've started experimenting with using hot oil/prepoo treatments. Oils really don't seem to do much for my hair, even when I put it on soaking wet hair. It never feels very moisturized; just oily and dry. Jojoba oil seemed to do ok, but I haven't bought any more. Coconut oil seems to work better on my skin than my hair. I tried using it on my hair overnight, but I started breaking out and got tired of waking up greasy lol. I never understood the hype around olive oil and all that, but I guess its just because of my hair, not the oils not doing their job
  • belwillcoilybelwillcoily Posts: 303Registered Users
    I've found oils to be an integral part of my regimen once I learned how to apply them correctly to my lp hair strands.

For the longest I thought my hair hated coconut oil and I stayed away from it for awhile as a result. But then I went swimming with my family this past summer and didn't have any oils other than coconut oil on hand to put in my hair before getting in the chlorinated water. So I slathered it on and pulled my hair up. I wear a swim cap too and it was an outdoor pool so it was a nice warm; sunny day. By the time I got home later that afternoon to wash the chlorine out of my hair I was thinking my hair was going to be stiff and greasy mess but the combo of the amount of time the coconut oil stayed on my hair along with the sun and body heat that was kept contained under the swim cap allowed the coconut oil to fully absorb into the strands. My hair was so soft and moisturized after I shampooed the chlorine out even before putting in the DC. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I probably could have skipped the DC!

So I learned that my hair actually loves coconut oil I just need a combo of heat and time to allow it to absorb into the strands. Now I apply coconut oil weekly, sit under a heat cap for about 30 minutes to give it a "head start" then sleep in it overnight. I low poo the next day. My hair responds very favorably to this routine.

After I DC and low poo, I apply my RO, then LI and finally my FSG. I do seal with my oil mix (castor oil, EVOO and EO for scent) more for SOTC of the FSG but the key is to use a very, very light coating of the oil concentrating on the ends of my hair. My hair stays moisturized for multiple days with this routine. In the Spring/Summer I can go a whole 7 days without wetting again for moisture but in the fall/winter, it's sometimes necessary for me to spritz and lightly seal midweek due to the dry cold air.
    :afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense
  • JennaBugJennaBug Posts: 10Registered Users
    I tried using coconut oil for the first time today, straight out of the shower before my gel. I love how soft and shiny it is, but the curls are completely limp! Like I went from a 3a/2c to 2a/2b!! I did skip my curl enhancer because I didn't want to over product my hair, but I used extra hold gel.
    Any other suggestions?
    Hair Type: 2c3a/F-M/ii low porosity
    CG newbie 12/2012!
    Current products (and continuing to search):
    -Cleanser- CurlySexyHair Curl Defining Shampoo (sulfate-free)
    -RO/Cowash-SheaM Restorative Conditioner
    -LI/enhancer- SheaM Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    -Gel- LA sport
    -2nd day- Lush R&B for frizz
  • RizosMioRizosMio Posts: 141Registered Users
    My hair doesn't freak out on oils or anything, but I can't get them to absorb no matter how little I use. I doesn't seem to work against me, but it does nothing for me either. I use EVOO to prepoo (while I section my hair) but that's about it.

I recently started using my coconut oil in my meals and I can't believe I was wasting this on my hair, it's delicious!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file