Prevage

munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Anyone here ever use it? Recommend it or not? Just curious before I spend all that money.
3b/c

Comments

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I used Prevage MD a couple of years ago. Seemed to be OK for my skin in the beginning and a friend of mine who doesn't see me often even complimented me on my skin. But after a few weeks, my skin got irritated. I know with the stronger strength, the derm recommended a "weaning on" period, to slowly build up and not get irritation. I followed his instructions. The MD version, back then, was 2x the strength of what's sold in dept stores and OTC. Skincare sites sell the MD version also and I remember it was expensive. I didn't use it after it started to irritate my skin and never went back to it.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The sales clerk gave me a small sample to try for a few days. This is OTC so I would imagine not as strong as what you were using. Wonder how long it would be before I saw irritation if I was going to?
    3b/c
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sure it's a YMMV thing, but the badness for me started happening in 3- week timeframe. So it must have had something to do when I finally built up to "full strength" even though I followed derm's recommendation. Those recs are based on the average user, so I guess if I really wanted to stick with it, I could have taken a break altogether from the product and started again much more slowly in the ramping up phases.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't use this myself, but I do know from experience with other stuff that irritation can sneak up on you. It goes like this - the first week you use a product, you're all thrilled and hopeful, and it feels so GOOD on your skin. The second week, things start to look a little better and you think "great - no irritation so far, and this actually might be helping a little". Third week - BOOM! red angry spots(NOT acne) happen on your face and it's burning and itching at the same time. I had this happen with Skinceuticals Intense Line Defense serum(AHA serum). OMG - my skin took MONTHS to get better! It was a full six months before I could exfoliate at all once again, and nearly another 6 months before I could wear any sunblock. Before this episode, I could wear chemical sunblocks with no problem. Ever since, the chemical-only sunblocks burn my face - I have to use physical, or a blend of physical and chemical where there's not too much chemical in there.
    I know this doesn't have to do with Prevage itself - just a cautionary tale about how irritation can sneak up on one and really mess up one's skin for awhile. People out there say that everything's OK a week or two after discontinuing the offending product. Not always true - skin can LOOL "all better" but still be sensitized for a LONG time afterward, if not permanently. Be careful out there, if your skin is the least bit sensitive at all!
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    At the cost of this stuff, the store is doing an Elizabeth Arden gift with purchase starting Feb 21. I decided to wait till then to get some of the free stuff. In the meantime, I got another week's worth sample of the anti-aging serum so hope using it that long I can make a smart decision by next weekend. Thanks.
    3b/c

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file