CurlTalk

Garnier Fructis Super Stiff Gel

Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users
I was perusing the hair care aisle at Walgreens and found this. I love hard hold gels and this one says ultra strong, is protein and glycerin free so thought I'd try it.

I knew nothing about this gel and assumed it is "regular" gel with extra hold. It is not! It's super sticky, goopy, like fsg but thicker. I was afraid to put it in my hair but added a small amount over LI, then added my go-to gel, Aussie Instant Freeze. I noticed major clumpage immediately. I air dried and diffused... really good results. Springy curls, big clumps, no frizz and great shine.

This morning, I had 2nd day hair with minimal tweaking. I was outside in the afternoon (dews 60+) and still no frizz and curls/clumps holding up.

This product has real potential!! It does have polyquats and oils that a lot of curlies don't like so we'll see how my hair reacts over time.

Has anyone tried this? Any tips?
3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.

Comments

• bonitafritabonitafrita Posts: 65Registered Users
    Ooooh, I'll have to keep my eye out for it!!!
    3 a/b Medium texture/Normal porosity/Normal elasticity
    Products I'm currently using:
    Lo-Poo: KC Come Clean (1 x week)
    Co-wash/RO: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine
    Stylers: UFD CM + BRHG

Hair dislikes: lots of protein, glycerin
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users
    Ooooh, I'll have to keep my eye out for it!!!

Bonitafrita, I hope you try it. There isn't much information on this stuff or how to use it. It's soooo thick, sticky and gooey! I'm using it as a curl/clump enhancer under my regular gel. I was able to get 4th day hair with this. Hope it wasn't a fluke.

I've seen you hair somewhere on nc.com and it looks pretty similar to mine. Maybe this super stiff stuff will work for you too!

CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    LOOB for second day hair

4th day hair?!?!? That is awesome!!! Oh, that pic of my hair was horrible! Lol I've since found a combination that works much better! Haha :)

I plan on looking for this gel the next time I run to the store- i'll make sure to report here if/when I find it!

In the meantime, maybe you should post a pic of your hair after using this gel! ;)

Here's a pic from my phone so can't appreciate all the clumps. I had just taken my hair out of pineapple and have NOT tweaked or fluffed in any way so pure second day hair. Usually much frizzier out of pineapple.

LOOB for second day hair

Wow. I think it looks awesome!! You have lovely hair!!! :) And you're right, our hair looks about the same!

• MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    I don't know if it still has it, but when I tried the Super Stiff gel a year ago, I noticed that the second or third ingredient is SD alcohol. So that might become an issue if you use it regularly.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    When I first heard about this gel, it sounded awesome! But I tried reading some reviews on here, and it seemed like lots of people hated it. So, I kinda forgot about it -- until now! :) You must not tempt me, since I realized I had more gels to use up than I thought! ;) Hee hee. But your hair looks AMAZING!! Although the lack of protein may not be the best for my hair. But, it sounds great!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    So I used the super stiff gel 3 times and 2nd and 3rd time were not as amazing as first time. It has been raining here the last 3-4 days but still can't seem to recreate initial results.:(

I looked at ingredients and yes Mountaincurl, there is alcohol. I always look for cones, proteins and humectants. Never think to look for that too so another disappointment. I suppose rotating this product and not using everytime may be ok?

WavyNWild, it's been a while... I couldn't get much info about this gel which is why I started the thread. I'm not giving up on it yet. I think I may just rotate it and see.

Thanks for the compliments ladies. I'd love to hear from others who have used it.

LOOB for second day hair

I gave myself a week break from super stiff and decided to revisit yesterday. Awesome! Took my hair out of pineapple this morning, gave a little shake and looks great. Clumps, spring and shine!

I think this stuff really works and I'll definitely use on a regular but will rotate so as to not dry out my hair or get build up.

Any takers? Anyone? Anyone?

LOOB for second day hair

• Carpool CurlyCarpool Curly Posts: 68Registered Users
    How does it compare to BRHG ou Aussie Instant Freeze?
    I use all three products for different things. The AIF is my regular gel, medium-hard hold. BHRG is harder holding and I add small amount over AIF. I wouldn't use it alone. Too expensive bc I use lots of product and it has protein which I try to limit.

GF super stiff is not like regular gel. It is VERY sticky and thick. I use it for hold and clumps, add AIF over it. It makes my hair curlier and holds clumps really well. Wouldn't use it alone though. May be too producty and/or drying used alone.

Highly recommend all 3 products though! Hope that helped.

LOOB for second day hair

• Carpool CurlyCarpool Curly Posts: 68Registered Users
    I use all three products for different things. The AIF is my regular gel, medium-hard hold. BHRG is harder holding and I add small amount over AIF. I wouldn't use it alone. Too expensive bc I use lots of product and it has protein which I try to limit.

GF super stiff is not like regular gel. It is VERY sticky and thick. I use it for hold and clumps, add AIF over it. It makes my hair curlier and holds clumps really well. Wouldn't use it alone though. May be too producty and/or drying used alone.

Highly recommend all 3 products though! Hope that helped.

Thanks! I'm such a PJ and you're an enabler :thumbleft:
    Carpool_curly I'm guilty as charged! Haha

Btw, I used GF super stiff yesterday with AIF on top and have gotten several compliments today. The humidity here is out of control. Been raining a lot and this really held up. I even sat outside during lunch time and my hair is not frizzy or poofy! Woohoo!!

LOOB for second day hair