CurlTalk

Is anyone still using their Tangle Teezer

Parissy198907Parissy198907 Posts: 479Registered Users
I'm asking because a lot of women stopped using the detangler after several people claimed that it damaged their ends.

Has anyone stopped using the brush and noticed an improvement in their hair? Has anyone continued to use the brush without any adverse effects on their hair?
Is there a particular way to use the brush that I don't know about (small sections etc)?

The last time I straightened my hair my ends were rough, like they normally are. They were not split, broken, or damaged in any way but the texture was not smooth like the rest of my hair. My hair was like this before the Tangle Teezer and still is...so what could be the cause?
14905839.png

Comments

• cheveuxboucléscheveuxbouclés Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    I still do once in a while. I haven't noticed any problems. I don't need to use it as much now, my hair stays fairly detangled with using the mud wash.

As far as your ends, not sure what the cause may be... but a trim usually kills that problem for me. Also, how did you dry your hair when you straightened it?
  • boingboingboingboing Posts: 120Registered Users
    yeah i still love mine i like the smoothing affect it has on my hair rather then a true detangler i use my shower comb then go over it with my tangle teezer to smooth the frizz
  • Truqueen01Truqueen01 Posts: 202Registered Users
    Still using mine with no problems that I see. I mainly use it to detangle well prior to a PS like a 2 strand twist updo.

I think most of the ladies having problems were those with finer strands.
  • coco_bunnycoco_bunny Posts: 216Registered Users
    I've been using it faithfuly since i've gotten it and i haven't noticed any splits or breakage like others have said. This is probably because I only detangle with lots of conditioner and only once a week. I figure this cuts down on the damage that it can cause.

Once my hair is long enough to manipulate and braid out of the way I might ditch the teezer for something gentler. I kind of have to use it, because my hair matts together instead on tangling. This happens when I sleep weither my hair is wet or dry.angry9: It's the only thing I've found that can get through my matted hair.

EDIT: Oh and I have coarse hair so that may have effected the amount of damage I've gotten from it
    BC ~ August 2010 ~ GOAL ~ hip/tail bone length :love4:
    Current Length: 12 inches
    TWO YEARS NATURAL! :occasion1:
    3b/3c VERY naturally porous hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    I still use mine. I love it to detangle in the shower. It's far gentler than any shower comb I've ever used. No issues here when it comes to breakage. I haven't experienced any with it yet.
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Posts: 1,160Registered Users
    I don't know what I would do without mines and I'm on my 2nd one. I would consider my strands to be a mixture of course/fine and thin/thick. Usually I comb each section with a wide tooth comb and then go back with the TT. This is the ONLY thing that keeps my hair detangled at the roots and keeps my hair detangled throughout shampooing and conditioning. I use it once a week.

I haven't noticed any damage, and I think this is waaay more gentler on my hair than the Denman.
  • Parissy198907Parissy198907 Posts: 479Registered Users
    I still do once in a while. I haven't noticed any problems. I don't need to use it as much now, my hair stays fairly detangled with using the mud wash.

As far as your ends, not sure what the cause may be... but a trim usually kills that problem for me. Also, how did you dry your hair when you straightened it?

Sorry for the late reply. I created this thread and then left for class.

I set my hair in curlformers and slept on them. No heat whatsoever during the drying phase.
    14905839.png
  • lashawnblashawnb Posts: 111Registered Users
    I haven't used mine in a while, but just this morning I saw it in my 'arsenal' and thought about pulling it out. Glad to see so many without problems, too!

Ooooooh-wee! Sent from my iPad using CurlTalk
    :wave: hi. i'm a product junkie! so many products, so little time...
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    last full relaxer: 6/10/10 big chop: 11/25/10
    2011 Goal: SL (stretched) = Curly :afro:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    taken 3/30/11
  • tbabyytbabyy Posts: 570Registered Users
    I don't know what I would do without mines and I'm on my 2nd one. I would consider my strands to be a mixture of course/fine and thin/thick. Usually I comb each section with a wide tooth comb and then go back with the TT. This is the ONLY thing that keeps my hair detangled at the roots and keeps my hair detangled throughout shampooing and conditioning. I use it once a week.

I haven't noticed any damage, and I think this is waaay more gentler on my hair than the Denman.

I had the Tangle Teezer first then I just recently bought the the Denman. I feel like the Denman rips out my hair. So I am definitely going back to my TT! I think my TT detangles better too.
    b04fbffc-52c8-49d6-a7f1-77140040642d.jpg

LITTLE JOEY HAS A SIBLING ON THE WAY! :toothy7:
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    I use mine once or twice a week. It's my one true hg.
  • vegas_curlsvegas_curls Posts: 857Registered Users
    Yes, I still use mine and love it. I'm super tender headed, and I've got to say that nothing has ever detangled my hair more effectively or gently than my TT.
  • makeupvixenmakeupvixen Posts: 507Registered Users
    I still use mine. I have gone through 2 of them since buying them when they first got popular in the US. No breakage, no splits, no increase in SSK. As long as I take care of my Tangle Teaser my Tangle Teaser takes care of me.
  • SARIESARIE Posts: 71Registered Users
    I don't use it any more. I used it for about 2 months, once a week in the shower with conditioner. I would finger detangle first and then go in sections. Unfortunately I did suffer breakage (not splits, but mid strand breakage). Everyone's hair is different, so if it works for you then keep at it.

Oh, I used it on my yorkie now, he loves it! :iconbiggrin:
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,747Registered Users

Oh, I used it on my yorkie now, he loves it! :iconbiggrin:

+1
    My tangle teezer is now being used on my neice's chiuaua, Dolla, and she loves it. My 5yr old neice initially didn't want to try it because she said it may ruin Dolla's nice coat.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users
    When I have to do extensive detangling which is VERY rare...

I stopped using that thing as soon as I heard of it causing splits, it took me about two years to find out how to strengthen my fine strands, i'm not going to risk destroying that...
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Flilnicka4u2nv%2F" class="Popup

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • KinkyBootsKinkyBoots Posts: 110Registered Users
    Once in a while. I'm more partial to my wide-tooth comb. I haven't bought a Denman Brush yet.
    Last Relaxer: December 2010
    Big Chop: February 2011

event.png
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    My fine strands were getting splits (and breaking) from it no matter how gentle I was. My med-thick strands were fine with it. I did loose a lot less hair with the TT, but I just use my magic rake now. I'm happy with that.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • MrsComboCurlzMrsComboCurlz Posts: 625Registered Users
    Nope!!! Used mine twice then gave away to my lil sis. Totally forgot about it till I saw this thread...it was ok though, detangled nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    *Cleanse: BoBeam, Giovanni Tea-Tree
    *Rinse Cond: Herbal Essence HH
    *Deep Cond: Deity America (green tub), CRN Algae Hair Mask
    *Leave-in's: Soultanicals, Pura Body Naturals, Alikay Naturals Lemon-grass spritz
    *Twisting: Obia Naturals TWB, PBN Cupuacu Butter, Camille Rose
    *Treatment: Henna/Amla/Cassia/Brahmi
    * LCSO Method
  • CurvyCurlyCurvyCurly Posts: 442Registered Users
    Truqueen01 wrote: »
    Still using mine with no problems that I see. I mainly use it to detangle well prior to a PS like a 2 strand twist updo.

+1....... I use it a couple of times a month to detangle when doing two-strand twists. Other times I just finger detangle. No problems and I have fine hair.
    (Current Rotation) Shampoo: Trader Joe's TTT, Terressentials, Elucence, Curl Junkie Daily Fix Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Leave-in/Moisturizer: Qhemet's BRBC Gel: Tresemme Oils: Grapeseed, jojoba, evoo, sweet almond, castor....BIG CHOPPED AGAIN!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I still use mine. I use my wide toothed comb first and then I use the Tangle Teezer to smooth my hair.

ETA: My hair is fine and porous
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    I'm not using any combs anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    My hair has med/coarse strands but it still managed to, over time that is, to start roughing up my ends. Even with tons of condish I noticed this. I've gone back to my brush in the shower and my ends and strands feel better. However, because of the TT I know I still need to get a trim.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fpapiermachecurls" class="Popup

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • boujoischicboujoischic Posts: 48Registered Users
    I still have my TT and sometimes when I'm rushing to bun my hair in the morning I use it to smooth back my hair but I don't ever run it down to the ends anymore. My ends were pretty bad when I went fory trim buy I can't say for sure it was the TT that did it. I use my denman now. I just recently modified it by removing every other row of teeth it works great now doesn't tug on my hair like it used to detangling in the shower is so easy now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using CurlTalk App
  • NubianPrizeNubianPrize Posts: 123Registered Users

I still use mine with no problems & I
    have fine hair. .On the other hand I don't use Denman brushes. They are hair rippers. I can only use it after using Tangle teezer or Ouidad double detangler & since they work so well there's no point in using a Denman

I
    Hair type 4 "mystery":dontknow:
    Fine,soft hair with little penspring curls of different sizes. Small patch of wavy hair at center of my nape. Did BC in 2009 after 28yrs of curly perms.
    Products:WEN Fig, KinkyCurly, QhemetBiologics, SheaMoisture, Vatika oil, EVCO, EVOO, WGO, JBCO products
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users

I still use mine with no problems & I
    have fine hair. .On the other hand I don't use Denman brushes. They are hair rippers. I can only use it after using Tangle teezer or Ouidad double detangler & since they work so well there's no point in using a Denman

I

I have the Denman for thick/Afro hair and it doesn't rip my hair. :profileleft:
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • parislarueparislarue Posts: 235Registered Users
    Nope, first time I was impressed but in doesn't go all the way through for thicker hair types. I'm not retiring my Denman just yet.
    3C .....thru......10Z
    Holy Grail Products:
    KCCC, KT

Nothing exudes confidence like a woman comfortable in her own skin.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2Fparislarue%2Fabout%2F" class="Popup
  • applesandafrosapplesandafros Posts: 328Registered Users
    Has anyone used the wetbrush by luxorpro?

my phone wears the pants in this relationship.
    Almost MBL Coils
    spongy, low porosity, dense awesomeness

Shampoo: Curly Kinks Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out/Detangler Conditioner: Aussie Moist, V05 Strawberries and Cream, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave in Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Styler: Eco Styler Krystal and Blue, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel and Flax seed gel
    Sealer: Grape seed oil
    Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie Repair Me
    Protein Treatment: Karishma and Jamilla Henna
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    KinkyBoots wrote: »
    Once in a while. I'm more partial to my wide-tooth comb. I haven't bought a Denman Brush yet.

Lol right?! I've had the same purple wide tooth comb I bought from Target since I went natural. It's the only "tool" I've used on my head. If it ain't broke don't fix it right? :)
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    nope, don't use mine. in fact, i threw it in the trash. it kept slipping out my hand and finally broke apart. the slightest movement made it come apart. i bought two but i'm just not interested anymore.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    I still use mine and I have fine strands but very dense hair. The Denman on the other hand, I quit using long ago. Even after altering it, it just seem to rip my hair.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FQVCDiva%2F" class="Popup