We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Curls in a bottle question

RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I just ordered more Curls in a Bottle because I like the definition and shine I get from it but I am finding its not enough on its own. I am getting some halo frizz. I have tried a few combos layering it with other things but no perfect winners (layered with noodle head mousse is front runner at the moment) but curious to see what other suggestions you might have for layering. I tried it with kccc but i flaked a little. Same with spiral solutions.

I typically use a leave in as well because I have been battling some dryness. I ordered curl junkie beauticurls leave in too to see if that helps cause kckt is not enough.

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Comments

• NocurlB4babiesNocurlB4babies Posts: 179Registered Users
    I'm interested in hearing suggestions on this also. I have used it alone, and agree that there is not enough hold on it's own. I love the glaze-like consistency, which would work great as a topper over other products. I use hard holder hold gels, so I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.
    2b/3a fine/med-hi density/high porosity (I think)/ highlight-no silicones/sulfates
    Lo-poo - ABBA Gentle Shampoo/ Shea Moisture Curl & Shine
    Conditioner: GVCB (love it!)/ Regis OO
    Leave in
    : As I Am
    Co-Wash: Tresemme or DevaCurl NoPoo
    Stylers: As I Am Curling Jelly/GF Pure Clean/ LALCurl gel - all with BRHG added
    Style: scrunch/ diffuse, then air dry. I don't Have much frizz at all
  • JewelCurlsJewelCurls Posts: 191Registered Users
    I paired it with L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying Leave-in Creme to great effect, but that product is not very popular, so it may not work for you. It did elongate my curls a little, but it was shiny and frizz-free for days at a time.
    You can't stop my happiness 'cuz I like the way I am! -Hairspray
    Dangerously open to product suggestion
    3b, thick, angled bob, coarse, low(ish) porosity.
    Favs:
    Poo (when I get buildup): Bumble&Bumble Curly Shampoo
    Lo-poo: L'Oreal EverCurl Cleansing Conditioner
    LI: Aveda Be Curly Prep
    Stylin': Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer for a natural full-bodied look, SheaMoisture Smoothie for finger curls.

• florestamariaflorestamaria Posts: 20Registered Users
    I use a little after my hair is dry or during the day if some frizz pops up and it works great, but it was never enough hold on wet or damp hair so I gave up using it that way. I rotate products, but it works with everything I use, no flaking.
    Hair: fine, low - normal porosity, normal elasticity. Loves protein, hates glycerin, at least during winter.
    Co-wash: CJDF, often coat all but the scalp with my rinse-out of the day
    Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
    Rinse-out: CJBC, CJCF, AOGPD, AOHSR
    Leave-in: CJCCCL, CJCF, KCKT, CJBC
    Curling Jellies: CJPP, SS FHG, KCCC
    Hard hold gels: BHRG, Abba Pure Finish
    Serum: CJCIAB
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    I've never tried CIAB layered under KCCC, so I can't do a comparison, but I've used it under CJPP with good results. I haven't tried any other combos yet because I'm currently hooked on CK instead.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    JewelCurls wrote: »
    I paired it with L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying Leave-in Creme to great effect, but that product is not very popular, so it may not work for you. It did elongate my curls a little, but it was shiny and frizz-free for days at a time.

Not familiar with that product but I will look for it

Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    I've never tried CIAB layered under KCCC, so I can't do a comparison, but I've used it under CJPP with good results. I haven't tried any other combos yet because I'm currently hooked on CK instead.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I considered ordering pattern pusha when I ordered the other stuff but hesitated because its pricey and what if it doesn't work. I want to get a sample of that one first I think

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,210Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    [QUOTE=Rednaturalcurls;1874771I typically use a leave in as well because I have been battling some dryness. I ordered curl junkie beauticurls leave in too to see if that helps cause kckt is not enough.

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App[/QUOTE]

love cj beauticurls leave in!!! i find it moisturizes and helps to seal it in a bit, and it enhances my curls.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • petersen126petersen126 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Nice Discussion, thanks for the info,
    Great job! you deliver great posts!
    rbb wrote: »
    [QUOTE=Rednaturalcurls;1874771I typically use a leave in as well because I have been battling some dryness. I ordered curl junkie beauticurls leave in too to see if that helps cause kckt is not enough.

love cj beauticurls leave in!!! i find it moisturizes and helps to seal it in a bit, and it enhances my curls.[/QUOTE]

Oh good. I haven't tried it yet but the reviews looked good and I need all the moisture I can get.

Today I tried layering CIAB over the mousse instead of other way around. Completely different result. Not bad but alot less clumping. It works better the other way for me I think. Tried beauticurls today too. Not sure what I think about it yet.

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I just recently purchased this product as well and am having GREAT results with it over Yes To Carrots Nourishing Conditioner. This combination leaves my curls shiny, defined and soft and it provides enough hold to give me second day hair (I could possibly get more but lately I have been enjoying the results of washing more frequently so I haven't tried). I don't really have a problem with frizz so I can't speak to that.

My hair is 3C medium texture, low to normal porosity and normal elasticity.
    I have been working with it for awhile and I think I finally have a good combo. I use GVP Conditioning Balm to co-wash and then as a leave in. The Curl Junkie Beauticurls just wasn't enough for me. Then I put in a fairly good amount of CIAB and add Noodle Head mousse over the top of that and diffuse. I am getting good clumps, shine and minimal frizz. I have even received several compliments on how my hair looks from both strangers and people I know so must be doing something right. LOL!
  • diasporadiaspora Posts: 596Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I tried a sample of this yesterday and I am amazed at how well this works by itself, it made my curls shiny and pop! Except, I did have a few areas that were frizzy, on my ends and a few other spots that tend to be dry, so I'm thinking I need to use a little leave-in, but am wondering if using a LI with this decreases the hold? Because I like that the hold has lasted me a 2nd day, and dews/humidity are high.

I could justify purchasing this product if all I need is a dab of LI underneath, but if I need to add a dab of harder-holding gel over that too, I'm not sure. I'm just not into layering, but in the climate I live in now, looks like I will have to in spring and summer.
    Formerly Urbancurl.
    Medium-high density, fine-medium, low-normal porosity, 3b/c, permanent color.
    CG, no heat, combs, brushes, parabens.
    Fall/Winter HG=Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream.
    Spring/Summer HG=MGA Sculpting Gel
    Current fave LI=Madre Labs Made by Nature for Baby Conditioner.
    Limit oils, butters, glycerin.
    if you are looking for nothing heavy, i would recommend cj beauticurls leave in. it is very moisturizing and light at the same time. and, while i use many different conditioners, including deep conditioners, as leave in, this is consistently the best for layering. no white flakes, etc....

i think they will complement each other.

if you are looking for nothing heavy, i would recommend cj beauticurls leave in. it is very moisturizing and light at the same time. and, while i use many different conditioners, including deep conditioners, as leave in, this is consistently the best for layering. no white flakes, etc....

i think they will complement each other.

Thanks rbb. The ingredients look really good for this time of year too.

I didn't want to jump on the CJ bandwagon due to price, but after trying CIAB, I can see why so many curlies have!
    Formerly Urbancurl.
  • beeduhbeeduh Posts: 684Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have found that I love CJ, I haven't tried their conditioners, DTs, or cleansers yet, just the styling products. I really like CIAB for SOTC. I haven't tried it on its own yet. I'm a huge fan of PP. I don't use very much of it either, so for me it's worth the price.
    CG as of Feb. 2012
    combination hair.
    2c on top - low elasticity
    3a&b scattered underneath - normal elasticity.
    fine texture. thin density. A lot of it.
    porosity: normal to high.
    loves protein and moisture.
    BSACV as needed.

products may vary. i'm a PJ.
    loving Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks, and AS I Am.
    diaspora wrote: »
    I didn't want to jump on the CJ bandwagon due to price, but after trying CIAB, I can see why so many curlies have!

do you know about aveyou.com? they carry curl junkie products and always have coupon codes for discounts. the current ones are:

FIVE -- $50 or more 15% off

GIVEME15 -- $75 or more you get $15 off

GIMME25 -- $100 or more you get $25 off

and shipping fees are great -- $5 under $50, $50 and above shipping is $1. and, their service is pretty quick.

you can also buy curl junkie on curlmart. and the curl junkie website has sales twice a year -- black friday and easter weekend.

• CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users Curl Neophyte

do you know about aveyou.com? they carry curl junkie products and always have coupon codes for discounts. the current ones are:

and shipping fees are great -- $5 under $50, $50 and above shipping is $1. and, their service is pretty quick.

you can also buy curl junkie on curlmart. and the curl junkie website has sales twice a year -- black friday and easter weekend.

Also "allchic" for 20% off. :) just used it last night to order some CIAB.
    Thanks for the discount codes rbb and Curlsnswirls! I always use Vitacost but they just have the health food store type products, not CJ.

Curlsnswirls, did you need to make a minimum purchase in order to receive the 20% off or did you just buy CIAB? I'm pretty sure I could meet the 15% off $50 though, if I buy Beauticurls LI and something else.

Beeduh, it seems like CIAB works for people in so many different ways, there's lots of experimenting to do.
    Formerly Urbancurl.
  • CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the discount codes rbb and Curlsnswirls! I always use Vitacost but they just have the health food store type products, not CJ.

Curlsnswirls, did you need to make a minimum purchase in order to receive the 20% off or did you just buy CIAB? I'm pretty sure I could meet the 15% off $50 though, if I buy Beauticurls LI and something else.

Beeduh, it seems like CIAB works for people in so many different ways, there's lots of experimenting to do.

I did purchase some JC shampoo as well. I don't think there is a minimum purchase to receive the 20% discount. The only difference is the shipping cost, it's always $5 for purchases under $50 and $1 for purchases over $50. I just wanted to take advantage of the savings just in case the coupon code was only good for so long. There's usually a 15% off code though...I know the "five" code has been good for a long time now. I placed my order yesterday and received a shipping notice this morning, so cool! I can't wait!! :D
  • crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    I have had good luck using the CCCCL and layering the CIAB over that. Depending on the weather I add gel after air drying for a bit.

There is no hold with CIAB without adding a gel. For me it defines and controls frizz better than anything else I have tried. It seems to work well with everything I have layered over/under it.
    crazywaves wrote: »
    I have had good luck using the CCCCL and layering the CIAB over that. Depending on the weather I add gel after air drying for a bit.

There is no hold with CIAB without adding a gel. For me it defines and controls frizz better than anything else I have tried. It seems to work well with everything I have layered over/under it.

I haven't tried CCCCL yet, but that's another combo I might like, thanks for sharing.

Other than the sections of my hair that came out frizzy, like some of my ends, I did get a light hold from the CIAB by itself, and the curls that looked good lasted for 2nd day. It's got PVP in it, which tends to give me good hold. So I'm not sure if it's gel I need over it to fix the sections that frizzed, or moisture under (or both depending on weather) but first I'm going to try moisture. I can't wait til I have cash in a few days to order a full bottle of CIAB and Beauticurls LI!
    Formerly Urbancurl.

Also "allchic" for 20% off. :) just used it last night to order some CIAB.

Yay!!!! All I ordered was the CIAB (am trying to get a sample of the Beauticurls before purchasing the full size) and the "allchic" code worked! Only $20 including shipping! Thank you!
    Formerly Urbancurl.
  • curledlovecurledlove Posts: 444Registered Users
    Ive used CIAB over beauticurls LI with pretty good results. I alternate this with KCKT/KCCC combo. The only reason i like the latter better is the elongation it gives me. I have WL hair that shrinks to APL so ill take every inch of length a product will give me. The CIAB combo is good though, it even provides good hold and frizz control for 3 days for my crazy 3c hair!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
    3c/4a
    I made it! Tailbone length stretched, WL curly

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png
    curledlove wrote: »
    Ive used CIAB over beauticurls LI with pretty good results. I alternate this with KCKT/KCCC combo. The only reason i like the latter better is the elongation it gives me. I have WL hair that shrinks to APL so ill take every inch of length a product will give me. The CIAB combo is good though, it even provides good hold and frizz control for 3 days for my crazy 3c hair!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App

Does the CIAB over Beauticurls give you decent frizz control even in high dews/humidity/rainy days? That's what I'm hoping it will do, as I already have a product I love when the weather's better.

Sidenote: WL hair, wow! I bet it's gorgeous. You must go through product even faster than I do. What is APL length?
    Formerly Urbancurl.
    I tried the CIAB with a tiny amount of Giovanni DLI underneath and much preferred my hair without the LI. Maybe it's just a bad combo. Got a bit of flaking too. My hair didn't look bad, but my clumps were skinnier and curls less bouncy and shiny with less volume. Weird because Giovanni is usually really good for forming clumps. Will try the CIAB with my Beauticurls LI sample next.
    Formerly Urbancurl.
  • aimless6poetaimless6poet Posts: 71Registered Users
    What is APL length?

arm pit length
    ~~Kirsten~~
    2b,n,ii, high porosity
    Likes: CJ CCCC, CJ Pattern Pusha CJ Rehab, DevaCare No-Poo, DevaCare One C, DevaCare ArcAngel, Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo, Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner, SN Tropical Coconut, Ion Effective Care, GVPCB, FSG, IAGirl's FSG Curl Cream, ACV, IAGirl's PT, Sweet Almond Oil, EVCO, EVOO, Shea Butter, Plopping, Clipping, Diffusing, Smasters
    What is APL length?

arm pit length

Thanks!
    Formerly Urbancurl.
  • KarenRB53KarenRB53 Posts: 355Registered Users
    I really like the CIAB. I wash my hair every 3 or 4 days but have to spritz it with water on days I don't wash it. I was wondering if anyone has used CIAB with water to spritz 2nd or 3rd day hair. Could I just put a little CIAB in my water spritzer bottle and mix it?
    3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
  • lexcoupelexcoupe Posts: 100Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd like to know if anyone has done that as well. I layer CIAB over CJ SL but I always end up with trusty tresemme naturals and water to refresh.

Sent from my ADR6400L using CurlTalk App
    - Lexcoupe

Hair type 3C/4A
    Last Relaxer – 10/10
    BC – 5/1/11
    Porosity- Normal to High
    Currently:toothy5:
    Co-Wash - TN, AM
    Poo - SM MR
    LI - Giovanni SAS; Almost anything Curl Junkie
    Styler – And even more Curl Junkie; Mixed Chicks
    Gelly - Umm, did I mention Curl Junkie?