New here and need help with hair type and cut ideas

Hi all. I LOVE the boards here! A little background...I've been straightening my hair for almost 10 years and only wearing it curly when I'm feeling lazy. Now, three children later, I need to go natural and what takes the least time. My hair has always been real funny. Straight in some places curly in others. High humidity days it hangs in ringlets, low humidity just a wave. It is so extreme from one day to the next I never know what to expect. I bought curl keeper and love it as it helps me get two days of curls. I want a haircut that will help it curl and I'd also like to know what you ladies think I could do to improve the curl. I know straightening has put a lot of strain on it but I'm hopeful it'll turn back to the way it was in high school. It is currently right above my shoulder and I'm desperately trying to grow it out. TIA!!!
CG since January 2015
2b/2c fine hair, normal porosity, low elasticity, low density
shampoo: rye flour
conditioner: deva one
gel: kccc and flaxseed

Comments

• BomerAngBomerAng Posts: 31Registered Users
    Wow no one has any ideas??
    CG since January 2015
    2b/2c fine hair, normal porosity, low elasticity, low density
    shampoo: rye flour
    conditioner: deva one
    gel: kccc and flaxseed
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    First off, you need to determine your hair properties. Here's a link to help. http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ Once you determine your properties, you can look for people with hair like yours and see what they use (in signature.) It's the best way to start.

Your hair is pretty typical of curly hair. When I started on nc.com, I was a winter wavy/summer 3a. Now my hair looks like my signature picture every day. It's all about the protein/moisture balance, finding the right products and using the right techniques. Unfortunately, it's trial and error and you have to find what works for you.

As far as a haircut goes, layers will maximize your curl. That and getting all the heat damaged hair GONE.

HTH.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair looks like mine! How about sticking with that bob until it grows out? I haven't cut my bob in many months and it still looks ok.

hairtoday.jpg
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file