About roots

xkaisuxkaisu Registered Users Posts: 7
So basically I love most of my hair. It took me awhile but I love having curly hair and it's pretty healthy. My problem is the root area. I don't know what to do about it. When I put product in my hair the length of it takes if fine and it's pretty once it's dry. However no matter how much product I use on my roots its always dry looking and unattractive to me. Frizzy and just ew. Would a deep conditioner help this? Or what would?

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    In order for people to help you, it's good to have information about your hair. First off, you need to determine your hair properties. Here's a link to help: Live Curly Live Free - Home Once you determine your hair properties, you can look for people with hair like yours and see what they use (in signatures.) It's the best place to start.

It also helps to know what products you are currently using and what you do. That way, people can comment on what you're doing.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xkaisuxkaisu Registered Users Posts: 7
    Thanks for that, I'm new to the forums and don't usually get a helping hand:/

So after doing the tests accordingly I have course hair, I'm confused to if I'm high or normal porosity. My hair is a mixture of 3a and 3b. Most recent picture of my hair down.. if you can see the roots.. are so.. I son't even know the word to explain. I just hate my roots I wish they were smoother like the rest of my hair. Is there anything I can do for that?

Also at the moment I only use Mixed Elements in my hair. Shampoo switches between herbal essence totally twisted, and aussie moisture. I only shampoo once a week if I feel like it. Sometimes I wait a little longer than a week to wash it.
    My hair is probably the opposite of your--fine/low porosity.

Fine and porous hair like protein, coarse hair is usually sensitive to protein, but can tolerate some types during various times of the year (high dewpoint.)

You don't say what type of products you use. If you're still using 'cones, they could be building up on your scalp and causing you some issues. If your hair is dry, I'd say that you need moisture.

Also, some folks think their hair is coarse, and it's actually just dry. CJ Marsha's blog on texture and porosity might help, she gives visuals: Curl Junkie - Natural Hair Care for all types of Curly Hair!: My 2 cents on Protein/Texture/Porosity/Moisture Balance! :-)
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xkaisuxkaisu Registered Users Posts: 7
    Okay after reading that one..
    I'm thinking my hair is just "medium hair" not coarse. It helped that she had picture references..
    I'm still stuck on if my porosity is high or normal, I think it's normal though.
    "3)If you are in the 7-8 range, you may want to use a conditioner with protein in it about 1 time a week. You can occasionally use stylers with protein in them, but should alternate with protein free options. Also Amino acids are a good choice for proteins since they tend to wash away easily and are less likely to build up on your hair.."
    In her range I feel I am here.
    But I"m no exactly sure what this means.. like what products would be good for this. Should I google good products following this guideline? Or do you have suggestions?
    It means you need to learn to read the ingredients and what is what. There are a lot of Curl Chemist articles on protein and what's a protein.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file