Still frizzy after DevaCut and products

Hello! I had my hair DevaCut last week. It looked great after he cut and styled it. When I tried to do it myself it looks limp and frizzy. It looks like I never had my hair cut. I bought all the products he used and I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything exactly the same. I bought the No-Poo, One Conditioner, Arc Angel and Set it Free. After the no-poo and conditioner I'm pretty sure he told me to scrunch some of the water out before applying the Arc Angel and then plop my hair for at least 15 minutes. It looked ok while it was drying but once it dried it looked frizzy and gross.

The only difference between what he did and I what I do is that he sat me under a dryer for 30 minutes. Do I need to diffuse my hair? Every time I've diffused my hair in the past it's become super frizzy and huge. Should I be putting the gel in before I get the moisture out? Help!
3B, low elasticity, highly porous

Ouidad Curl Quencher Shampoo
Redken's Fresh Curls Conditioner
Redken's Fresh Curls Deep Conditioner
Infusium 23 leave-in
DevaCurl Set It Free
DevaCurl Arc AnGel

Comments

• SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
    jadeycakes wrote: »
    Hello! I had my hair DevaCut last week. It looked great after he cut and styled it. When I tried to do it myself it looks limp and frizzy. It looks like I never had my hair cut. I bought all the products he used and I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything exactly the same. I bought the No-Poo, One Conditioner, Arc Angel and Set it Free. After the no-poo and conditioner I'm pretty sure he told me to scrunch some of the water out before applying the Arc Angel and then plop my hair for at least 15 minutes. It looked ok while it was drying but once it dried it looked frizzy and gross.

The only difference between what he did and I what I do is that he sat me under a dryer for 30 minutes. Do I need to diffuse my hair? Every time I've diffused my hair in the past it's become super frizzy and huge. Should I be putting the gel in before I get the moisture out? Help!

It could be the products...Continued use of Deva products left me dry, frizzy, and coated.
    2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
    Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
    Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
    Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
    Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
  • mhen76mhen76 Posts: 813Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never had much luck with the Deva products. I got nothing but gummy, frizzy hair.
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Although some people are down on Deva hair products, many of those people originally liked them, which doesn't seem to be the case for you. I also think it's unlikely that you'd have that sort of reaction after only one application – not that it isn't possible.

More likely, that's related to technique. I would suggest going back to your Deva stylist (or at least calling him), telling him what happened, and ask for his help in problem solving this. Even three and a half years into Curly Girling, I sometimes find new techniques, or nuances to techniques which work better for me than what I was doing.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As Morgan said, many of us started out with Deva products, thought we liked them and then moved on to other things our hair really liked (especially after Deva changed their ingredients a few years ago.) Personally, I find Deva NoPoo very drying. Although the salon I go to has the Deva products, I bring my own.

In order for people to help you, it's good to have more information about your hair. First thing you need to do is determine your hair properties. Here's a link to help: Live Curly Live Free - Home Once you determine your hair properties, you can look for folks with hair like yours and see what they use (in signatures.) It's a good place to start.

My fine/low porosity hair LOVES protein. For me, I find that protein helps define curls and reduce frizz. I do at least one PT a week and use lots of products with protein.

The other thing is that many of us rotate products. My hair always satiated on product--even back in my shampoo/conditioner only days. I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. I seldom use any one product more then once every five days.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file