Uses for pecans?

NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
I need ideas for how to use pecans!

Caveat: my mom is diabetic, so I'm not making anything loaded in sugar.

My stepmother's pecan pie recipe's not convertable because of the corn syrup she makes. Is there a filling which would work with splenda anyone makes?

Ideally I'll make whole wheat pecan pie empanadas and freeze them for individual desserts. I can handle the dough, just not the filling. Help?

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!

Comments

• PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    There are all kinds of breads that are good when you throw a handful of pecans in - banana bread, for one, and zucchini bread.

Don't know if the sugar content would be too high.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • aethernaughtaethernaught Registered Users Posts: 25
    Pecans are killer when chopped roughly and added to tuna or chicken salad, both of those are awesome on spinach!
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    Does your mom do Splenda? There's a recipe out there for roasted pecans with Splenda that's very good. My husband loves it. I don't have it on me anymore, but I'm sure you could easily find it.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Registered Users Posts: 2,816
    I love them with oatmeal, blackberries, nutmeg, cinnamon and a little bit of honey or agave.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Salad and banana bread were going to be my ideas as well :)

Butter tarts are awesome with pecans, but not sure if you could find a suitable recipe.

ETA ~ This filling may work for you..

http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2008/06/27/all-canadian-vegan-butter-tarts/
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    Pecan crusted chicken?
    You can grind them and use instead of flour for some things- I tried someone's brownie recipe and it wasn't bad. They also subbed the sugar though and that wasn't as successful

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Registered Users Posts: 2,385
    I love pecans! I store them in the freezer and get out just what I need. I use them in:

pesto (instead of pinenuts)
    stuffing chicken breasts (pecans with spinach & cheese)
    ground as a substitute for flour to dredge meat in and bake as well as to make piecrusts (about 1/3 - 1/2 of whatever flour the recipe requires) .
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I do the "candied" pecans using Splenda--the one where you dip the pecans in a mixture of egg whites and spices (cinnamon, allspice and clove for me.) I keep them around and use them to snack. I also do a spinach salad with spinach, bacon, hard boiled egg and the candied chopped pecans. For the dressing I use one of the no sugar raspberry jams with good balsamic vinegar and vegetable oil.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fraufrau Registered Users Posts: 6,130 Curl Neophyte
    string beans with pecans!

(or was that walnuts....nope, it was pecans)
  • NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    Wow, so many great ideas so far! Thanks!

Any more anyone comes up with, please add. :) So far you've given me lots of inspiration.

To answer the one question I remember - yep, she'll eat splenda. It's the only non-sugar I can handle, so what I'd use.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    I wonder if you could use pecans in pesto rather than pine nuts.

yeah, I see this thread was bumped by a spammer...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • HoneycurlsHoneycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,889
    Roasted: spray with soy, Maggi, or Braggs, smoke flavoring and sprinkled with garlic powder, onion powder, Accent or other savory spices. Roast at 180-200 for 35 mins.
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963

Pine nuts aren't required. A lot of people make basil pesto with walnuts or almonds. I don't know that I'd use pecans in a basil pesto, though. You could just make a pecan pesto (I like nut pestos, especially during the fall and winter).
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • HoneycurlsHoneycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,889
    Saria wrote: »

Pine nuts aren't required. A lot of people make basil pesto with walnuts or almonds. I don't know that I'd use pecans in a basil pesto, though. You could just make a pecan pesto (I like nut pestos, especially during the fall and winter).

Yes, I do this all the time. Especially if I don't have Mediterranean pine nuts.
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    I'm just here to say it all sounds yummy :) And add that I do the pecans with splenda, egg whites and spices for my father. He is a diabetic, with kidney failure, so this is a perfect snack. No salt to worry about, and the fact that cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar is a great bonus.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file