No Clumbs! Is scrunching killing the curls? Don't wont the permed look!

HI guys. I've been doing this about three weeks and am still trying to find the right formula. My hair is wavy, low porous even though I have a lot of hair with blonde highlights. I want it to clump and be less stringy curls. That's whyat I am getting.

I am wondering if I will have better clumps if I don't scrunch. I think scrunch is breaking the curl pattern. I get curls but it looks sort of "permed like" and i want more mermaid tendrils.

Today I left some conditioner in my hair and put some Creme Brulee while my hair was soaking wet. I then put some HG Gel in there. Scrunched dry with a MF towel. Then I plopped for 15-20 minutes.

When I took it out, it looked like it was going to be another stringy day. I put a little more brulee in and twisted my hair. It looks a little better now but with it getting dry, it is too late to make it a good hair day.

I haven't really had a good hair day since I started doing this. If I had to go out in public, hair goes into a ponytail, but i am not giving up!

Anyone have hair similiar to mine that found that scrunching does not work?

Also, I probably can use a bit more product. I thought I used a lot but it still seems dry.

Comments

• mamamia2bcurlsmamamia2bcurls Posts: 2Registered Users
    This is my first post! Don't stress, Mermaid. I have just recently gone back to wearing my natural curls (a mix of 2b and 3a) and am finding that since my hair is short the plopping doesn't work for me. I just pat with a tshirt till it stops dripping before I start styling. I use maybe 2 nickle-size blobs of Devacurl ArcAngel and skip twist, then adjust each curl into position with my hands (don't comb) and leave it alone to dry. I stand under the bathroom heater/blower which is in the ceiling (very convenient) for a while, then let it complete drying on its own. Since my hair is also thin, it doesn't take long. After I am sure it is completely dry, I can scrunch out any crunch and then let it go! I get plenty of clump for me and it's good for up to 3 days, depending on the weather. My shampoo is Ageless Beauty from Sally's (I'm not young), my hair has no coloring of any kind, and my conditioner is either Garnier Fructise volumizing or Suave coconut. I rinse it all out. HTH and good luck. Keep trying. It's kinda fun.
    I think my curls are a present from my Italian grandfather :love1:
    Mix of 2b + a few 3a
    Modified CG
    Low poo = Ageless Beauty (Sally's)
    Conditioners = GF Fortifying, and SN Tropical Coconut
    Styling gel = DevaArcAngel
  • mermaidewavesmermaidewaves Posts: 60Registered Users
    Thanks! I want more ringlets or waves than curl. The curl seems to look kinky and not pretty to me. I've seen my hair with bouncy curls after a day at the beach. I immediately apply conditioner after I get out of water.

Does plopping have anything to do with curl formation or is it more to get the water out? I have to have some help with drying or my hair would take forever. Maybe I will try to plop immediately before it gets too dry. I do think though that scrunching does not give me pretty waves.
  • mamamia2bcurlsmamamia2bcurls Posts: 2Registered Users
    Yeah, I think I don't have enough hair to plop. It seems to prevent the curl formation. Might try it when it gets longer. And I don't really scrunch till the gel is dry. You know your hair better than anyone. You could try the skip twist and pull down on each curl for waves on longer hair. Experiment. It's just hair.
    I think my curls are a present from my Italian grandfather :love1:
    Mix of 2b + a few 3a
    Modified CG
    Low poo = Ageless Beauty (Sally's)
    Conditioners = GF Fortifying, and SN Tropical Coconut
    Styling gel = DevaArcAngel
  • MagandaMaganda Posts: 57Registered Users
    I don't plop because it gives me stringy, super coily crazy looking curls. I like tight curls but they just don't form right for me. Plopping is kind of like holding your hair in a scrunch for a long time so I would expect it to enhance curl formation. A lot of us get good clumps with scrunching. Do you SOTC? That might help too.
    CG since 12/01/2010!
    2c/3a thin BSL hair
    Wish my hair was longer and fuller but it breaks off like crazy!
    I wonder if plopping is some of the problem. Does scrunching upset your curl pattern? My hair is wavy and slightly wavy so I need to force the curl.
  • msgmsg Posts: 151Registered Users
    I have noticed lately that if I scrunch a ton then I get stringier curls. If I supersoak, then use t shirt to scrunch but instead of quick scrunches, I gently grab/scrunch each section and hold for a few seconds to let the t-shirt absorb the water rather than having to scrunch the same section more than once. I get better clumps this way. I can't plop since my hair is only a bit past my chin.
    FIA: 2b-c/f/i, normal porosity/elasticity I think?

Current favs:
    lo-poo: Giovanni
    Co-Wash: V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO: CJ Beauticurls,
    LI: Ouidad Botanical Boost
    PT/DT: Emergencee, Biolage Condish Balm
    Stylers: LALSG, Aussome Volume Gel
    That makes sense. Maybe I will gently hold the curl in my hair.
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    I have pretty weak waves myself that need a lot of encouragement to come out, so I totally understand this struggle!! I tried plopping for months for various amounts of time until I finally realized it just wasn't working for me at all. Scrunching is what usually works best for me but I"m going to try to cut down on it slightly and maybe be a bit more gentle as it was suggested and see how that works. Good luck!!!! :D
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
    What is your routine hippie chick? I was concentrating so much on how long to plop, ec. I need to do something to cut down on drying time. I am curious we if plop immediately instead of waiting?
    msg wrote: »
    I have noticed lately that if I scrunch a ton then I get stringier curls. If I supersoak, then use t shirt to scrunch but instead of quick scrunches, I gently grab/scrunch each section and hold for a few seconds to let the t-shirt absorb the water rather than having to scrunch the same section more than once. I get better clumps this way. I can't plop since my hair is only a bit past my chin.
  • marieantoinettemarieantoinette Posts: 131Registered Users
    As a fellow scruncher, something that's helped me have more full and less stringy-looking curls is to scrunch out the crunch - after your hair dries, scrunch and like kind of fluff it, for lack of a better word, which makes the curls a bit looser and bouncier without you having to finger-comb it which kills the curls.
    Hair type 2A, fine texture but very very dense (TONS of hair)!
    Products: Suave Naturals coconut co-wash, L'Oreal EverCreme Moisturizing rinse-out
    LA Looks Sports Gel (on the hunt for a better gel!)
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    What is your routine hippie chick? I was concentrating so much on how long to plop, ec. I need to do something to cut down on drying time. I am curious we if plop immediately instead of waiting?
    msg wrote: »

My routine is still in the works right now but after I shower I do some scrunching with both a mircofiber towel and a super old t-shirt. I'm now letting my hair air dry for a while before scrunching in a cocktail of HETT mousse and about 4 or 5 squirts of Suave CC Spray Gel and then letting it air dry the rest of the time. I used to diffuse all the time but I think it was making the flakes on my scalp a million times worse. This routine worked amazingly well last Monday then on Wednesday my waves looked awful and on Friday they looked kind of okay. I'm going to try it again this Wednesday 'cause I needed a break and blew it out yesterday. I'll post my results!!
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file