RCW, anyone? I'm confused about my skintype

YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
I always thought I had dry skin. Never had any problems until about 3 or 4 years I started breaking out.
I have been using dianneyvonne's wheat germ cleanser, salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide ever since.

I've noticed that during the day my face, especially my forehead, gets shiny. It's very obvious in pictures. Do i have oily, or at least combination skin? I think I have small pores though..

I'm 25 years old and have been through alot for the past two years and I feel that has aged me. I look older than I am. I have some fine lines around my eyes.

Should I change my regimen or just use another peel?
3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
Modified CG since 08/10/2007
http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
pw: currrly

Comments

• YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users Curl Novice
    Bumping...
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    http://public.fotki.com/Curly-Y/ (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    that sounds like my skin. it was oily, then dry, oily again, back to dry.

what i have learned over the years is that, even if you have oily skin you need to moisturize. I cant use bp because it dries my skin out horribly. i use to use proactive, and would dry to cover up the dryness by using more of the lotion. my skin was ashy white in places. not a good look. i then switch to there senstive skin version with no bp. my skin was digging it. then i got oily after a while. now i just use the oil cleasing method. I still get a shiny forehead sometimes, but i just blot it.
  • pe476206pe476206 Posts: 117Registered Users
    Dry skin can still get acne. I think it is a common belief that only combination and oily skin can get it. Sometimes the skin breaks out because it is not well hydrated. Also, some makeup and skin care products can make people break out. The shinest on the face could be a result from lack of moisture. The skin does not really go from dry skin to oily skin. It usually the reverse. If you are really struggling with your skin, then I would suggest seeing a dermatologist. They can recommend products that will work for you.
    Fine hair, 3a/3b
    Shampoo: switching from a couple
    Conditioner: Herbal Essences totally twisted conditioner
    Deep conditioner: Aussie 3 minute miracle
    Styling products: pureology real curl, framesi hair treatment line colored treated serum
  • ChantelleMarieChantelleMarie Posts: 37Registered Users
    I definitely agree with seeing a dermatologist. I'm an acne sufferer as well, and have insanely oily skin. Several years ago it was dry and dull. The change, for me, is attributed to hormonal changes and imbalances. A dermatologist might be able to find the source of your oily skin.

There's research supporting this claim, and newer research refuting it. Some people believe that using drying products like benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid can dry out the skin and cause the skin to produce more oil in an attempt to balance out. That oil can play a role in causing blemishes.

By the book, you are doing everything you should be. Exfoliating with the salicylic acid, fighting bacteria and inflammation with benzoyl peroxide, and using a product with antioxidants. The only other suggestion I can make is to apply a moisturizer as well. Look for a gentle, non-comenogenic moisturizer.
    Starting CG method *again* at the beginning of March 2012.

2b, low density, normal porosity
    ~ Sulfate & Silicone free for over 3 years ~
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    thelio wrote: »
    what i have learned over the years is that, even if you have oily skin you need to moisturize.
    Eh, this varies. I have very oily skin, and even the lightest moisturizer just makes my face even more of an oil slick. So I'll use moisturizer on the handful of days each year that my face is dry. But there's no need for me to use it on a daily basis.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file