I seriously need to lose weight!

IAmJordanNicoleIAmJordanNicole Registered Users Posts: 784
So, I today was my niece's 5th birthday and we had a party at chuck e cheese.

Afterward my sis put the pics on Facebook. OMFG! I hate myself right now. I've seriously gained like 50lbs in 2 years. I HAVE to lose weight. I can't stay this size. It's terrible!

I was considering weight watchers so that I don't have to deprive myself...has anyone lost a lot of weight who can tell me a good but not very restricting way to lose weight? It doesn't have to be very fast weight loss...but it has to happen!

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
«134567

Comments

  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    I think you're just going to have to slow down and take it slow. That's the best way. It sucks, but you'll just gain it back if you go too fast.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    I feel your pain. I've gained about that much since my son was born (he's 21 months). Weirdly, I lost weight while pregnant, but I gained it all back, and then some.

    I obviously have no answers for you, but I know how you feel.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas


    My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • IAmJordanNicoleIAmJordanNicole Registered Users Posts: 784
    I think you're just going to have to slow down and take it slow. That's the best way. It sucks, but you'll just gain it back if you go too fast.

    No, I don't want it to be fast. I mean, I'd love it to be fast, but I really want to lose it the right way. I just have to figure out what the right way is. It doesn't have to be fast as long as it happens!


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • HoneycurlsHoneycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,889
    Well, I'll tell you how I've done it, but it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to/can try it.

    Cut wheat and cut carbs, especially simple ones like sugar, out of your diet. Follow a more Mediterranean-style diet. I've posted many times on here how I am a die-hard, ultra hardcore carb/sugar junkie, and I've been able to do it. It was the only way to break the plateau I'd been on for over a year. Since starting this new way of eating in mid Nov 2011, I have lost about 12 lbs of pure fat--primarily from my abdomen, which is my sticking point. I workout every day with weights and do high-intensity interval training as cardio every other day as well, but I've been doing that for some time and was still on a plateau. The diet change is what kickstarted the recent weight loss. I lost about 30 lbs in 2010 and had plateaued, then began gaining it back in spite of my continued workouts and modified diet. But, I was still eating far too many carbs and wheat.

    My inspiration came from the book, Wheat Belly. It's available on Kindle for less than $10.

    I don't know if this is helpful to you, but that's what has worked for me. Good luck reaching your goals!
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

    I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • HoneycurlsHoneycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,889
    Oh, and, every day, try to move a little bit more than you normally do--walk, run, bike, skate, fidgeting (seriously). Start slow or faster--whatever you can safely handle, but don't make it so miserable that you hate to do it. It's about changing your overall lifestyle, not dieting and forcing yourself to do things that you hate. Think about little kids...they run everywhere they go--everywhere. They run, they jump, they climb, they walk, they play, they fidget. As we get older, we slow down, move less, and eat more.

    But, you've got to change things over time. You can't just walk or run the same route at the same speed every day forever. You've got to make a progressive change in speed, difficulty, distance, intensity, the activity or all of the above.
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

    I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • Parissy198907Parissy198907 Registered Users Posts: 479
    To put it simply, eat less and move more.

    I don't know if you own a tablet of any kind but there is an app called My Fitness Pal that I like a lot. It really helps you keep track of the calories you're eating and also provides the nutritional content of most foods.

    I'm not a big fan of completely cutting out food groups because I think it sets you up for failure in the long run. My daily calorie limit is 1200 (I'm still dieting) but I usually consume more calories since I do not count the calories I take in from raw foods.

    I eat about six times a day, minimum, and my snacks in-between my cooked meals are always raw foods and juices.

    I work about 3 times a week for about an hour and I do both weight training and cardio.
    14905839.png
  • HoneycurlsHoneycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,889
    Well, not everything works for everyone, and everything else had failed me. I was eating less and moving waaay more, but that only works for so long. Cutting out carbs and sources of gluten has worked very well for me and my husband. My husband had an ever-expanding paunch, and mine was giving his a run for its money. His stomach is drastically flatter than before, and mine is completely flat--flatter than ever in my life. We don't starve, nor do we completely deprive ourselves. We eat quite well, in fact. We still indulge our sweet teeth with gluten-free sweets and a mixture of different Cool Whip forumlas: Lite, Sugar-Free, and Original. He eats his frozen like ice cream, and I just eat mine thawed. The key is making food not so important in your life. For me, food has always been a buddy and a drug. I have been self-medicating with food--especially sugar--since childhood.

    You have to change the way you think about food. If in October 2011 you'd have told me that I would no longer be enjoying my daily toasted Ezekiel bread with scraped garlic and butter spray, heaping portions of rice and "whole wheat" pasta, and anything containing more than a gram or 3 of sugar by the end of November, I'd have laughed right in your face. But, that's exactly what happened, and I've never looked back. Seeing the weight gone and feeling better overall has strengthened my resolve to the point that I could never go back to where I was. We eat mostly whole foods, and we love everything we eat and only eat things we love.

    IAJN, don't be afraid to try different routines, but give each a fair trial. Start slow and don't totally deprive yourself. I won't lie and say it's going to be easy, but being unhappy with yourself isn't easy either. I know--it's how I spent most of my life. I'm almost 46 years old, and I'm in better physical condition and shape than I've ever been in my life, and I'm MUCH happier for it.

    FYI, I failed MISERABLY on my first try at an Atkins diet years ago. Buying a hamburger, throwing away the buns, eating the meat and vegetables, then...seriously considering digging the buns out of the trash miserable. That's pretty effin' miserable. I lasted about a week, after which I found that I had gained a couple of pounds. :angry3:

    What I do now is no Atkins, and I'm losing, not gaining.
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

    I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    I feel your pain. I've gained about that much since my son was born (he's 21 months). Weirdly, I lost weight while pregnant, but I gained it all back, and then some.

    I obviously have no answers for you, but I know how you feel.

    This happened to me with my third child. I did not gain much while pregnant, lost a bit when he was born, and expected to lose more when he weaned but instead I gained about 25 pounds. It's very discouraging because now instead of needing to lose 15 pounds, I need to lose at least 40.

    Honeycurls, I know the premise behind Wheat Belly although I have not read it (don't have the $ for the download now although maybe when I next get paid). Are you able to eat fruit? The sticking point for me is that I only have about $70 per week to buy food for all of us, so pasta is an obvious inexpensive option to help stretch our veggies and protein. I'm not sure how I will do serving pasta to the kids and not being able to have any, but I think I will give it a try.
  • cailincailin Registered Users Posts: 928 Curl Connoisseur
    I've been heavy my whole life and I have a thyroid disorder. Last spring I joined WW. I started with just WW online but then I started going to meetings and that's when I really saw results. In 10months I've lost 41lbs. I'm really happy with the program and I never feel deprived. I give it 2 thumbs up.
  • bonitafritabonitafrita Registered Users Posts: 65
    I've been doing weight watchers and have lost over 40 lbs! Their new program is really great....it kind of steers you away from carbs (they tend to be more points) and encourage you to make better choices, like protein rich foods (which tend to be LESS points) or fruit or vegetables (most are ZERO points)! Great. Great program....I'd totally recommend it! :)
    3 a/b Medium texture/Normal porosity/Normal elasticity
    Products I'm currently using:
    Lo-Poo: KC Come Clean (1 x week)
    Co-wash/RO: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine
    Stylers: UFD CM + BRHG

    Hair dislikes: lots of protein, glycerin
  • IAmJordanNicoleIAmJordanNicole Registered Users Posts: 784
    Thanks everyone for their input!

    Honeycurls, I think I will buy the book today and atleast see if it seems plausible for me. I don't eat a lot of pasta but rice is my weakness...or one of them atleast.

    Parissy, I downloaded the app and I will see he it goes with that over the next 2 weeks or so. If I have success I will definitely stick to it. My main issue is that I give up too quickly if I don't see results.

    Cailin and Bonita, I think I'll go with weight watchers as a last resort because I don't have the money right now. I mean, I could afford it, but I'd rather see if I can do it for free first. If I don't see much progress within a month or so I will definitely try it.

    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    Good luck. I'm going to start working out again hardcore. I used to
    Run 3 miles 3x a week two years ago. And I enjoyed working out and running. But then I moved and I don't want to blame where I live but my RM is very influential in her laziness. And I can't lie. I'm a pushover. So she would always manipulate me into hanging out with her because she's needy. Anywho. Now I'm waay out of shape.
    And instead of just being 15 lbs I'm now 30 at least if not more. *sigh*
    Even now when I think about scheduling my workouts I think about how my rm is gonna feel. What is wrong with me? I have this uncontrollable urge to always want to please people or do what other people want and not me. it's so annoying and makes me feel like crap.

    Oops sorry for ranting.

    I'm going to check out that book, I'm in a nutrition class right now and we've been recording our meals and I eat like 130% more carbs than I'm supposed to.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    Well I have some good tips for you to lose weight and lose it cheaply too. First go to Walmart and get these very inexpensive DVDs called Walk Away The Pounds (they are awesome you can do it right in your house) they are so easy to do..if you can walk in place, forward, side ways, lift your knees some, I'm telling you.. you can do it. You don't have to have any special skills besides being able to walk. If you'd like to preview what I mean..check out this video: Walk Away The Pounds Pt. 1 - YouTube

    That's a very old one.. I own it but I have more very up to date ones that are excellent. She has videos that target certain spots too..like arms, abs, thighs, etc. And what you are doing is walking by miles..she paces you so that you can complete the mile. I've worked myself up to 17 miles a day before.. BELIEVE IT! And the pounds just melt off. If you can't get these DVD's try to look for full ones posted on Youtube. I think there are some full ones you can get started with on there.

    Now.. the next thing is WATER. Get yourself a clear 32oz bottle at Walmart. Get one with a good flip top cap so you can easily carry it with you without spilling it. Drink 2 of those per day. Yes..just two..and don't drink it ice cold. That way you can drink a bunch of it and not be freezing or feel like it's just to cold. I say get a clear bottle so you can see how much you are drinking and how much you have left to go. For me, it really helps to see it..that way I'm like, "Okay..I gotta get this water down some more.." it like motivates me. But once you get into the swing of exercising you'll easily put 3 of those a way per day cause you'll crave plenty of water after a work out.

    Next thing is food.. I'm not into the whole deprivation thing either. But the key is moderation. I like something called the 90/10 plan. It's basically where you eat 90% healthy.. like fresh veggies, fruits, lean meats, whole grains. And then when you feel like it..10% of the time you can have something that's not that healthy for you (basically junk food) but in moderation. Like maybe a piece of cake or an icecream cone. Also cut corners when you can on the junk food. Like if you can get frozen yogurt instead of an icecream cone get that.. if you can get chips with less salt do that.

    Also if you can cut back on sugar as much as you can. I'm not saying cut it completely out but if you can just use half the amount of sugar that you normally use that would help tremendously. Also cut back on salt a bit (now I love salt so this isn't easy for me and I don't cut salt all the way out at all...I just use less of it) and use herbs more to flavor your food. Mrs.Dash is a good one to use..they have different versions.

    Another thing.. AVOID PACKAGED FOOD. I'm talking about those silly tv dinner like things.. those things are full of salt. Start cooking. Yes.. I know it's a ding dang hassle at times but if you take one day per week and cook a bunch of stuff.. you can just package it up and freeze or refrigerate it.

    Having a George Foreman grill is a life saver. Check this out.. get some plain chicken breasts..skinless, boneless. Wash them good, pat dry, and season them however you like.. salt, pepper, garlic powder, herbs, etc. Pour some olive oil in a plastic bag and put the chicken in there. Put it in the fridge like while you are at work. Come home...fire up that George Foreman grill and stick those chicken breasts on there. And it doesn't always have to be chicken. Try grilling salmon, lean steaks, turkey burgers, baby lamb chops on it. It all cooks just as well on there. And the clean up is fast. Just wipe the grill down with a bunch of paper towels while it's still hot. Then use a wet sponge once it's cool to wipe it down good. Dry it and put it up.

    Next start steaming some veggies. Now this is easy as heck. You don't even need to buy a bunch of fresh ones. Here's what you do. Go to the grocery store and get something in the frozen section called: Green Giant 100% Natural Steamers. All it is are various frozen veggies. They have corn, carrots, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, veggie medleys. Pick whatever you like. I like to get the medleys (like carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower all in one bag) and then I can feel like I'm eating a variety.

    All you do is pop them in the microwave inside the bag..and cook for like 5 minutes. And they come out beautifully..they look and taste like fresh veggies from a garden. What I do is cook them in the bag, pour them into a glass bowl when they are done and season them with herbs, a tiny bit of butter, and a dash of salt, and some pepper. OH EM GEE. So so good. You put them with that grilled chicken breast, and make yourself a spinach salad (I always suggest spinach salads because regular lettuce sucks.. it's just a bunch of water..but spinach has nutrients and vitamins in it plus it has a taste. )What I like to do is get that baby spinach and make all sorts of fun salads with it.. with lots of colorful veggies.

    In the mornings you can have like a bowl of oatmeal. If you hate making Oatmeal..just get those Quaker instant oatmeal packs that have flavor already in them. Now be careful with these..dont eat 3 and 4 packs. Only eat 2 at the most. And if you still think you will be hungry cook an egg white or toast a piece of multi grain bread and slap some butter spread on it. Another route is making your own breakfast shakes in a blender..out of yogurt, fresh fruit, low fat milk ( you can even toss a bit of chocolate powder in there like Quik..ROFL..yes Quik), and have that.

    Keep snack bars on hand. I'd say get a brand that you can find that are low in sugar and taste good. If you go to Walmart or Target they have all sorts you can check out and see which you might prefer. Keep these in your purse. Kelloggs and Quaker make them. So if you feel like you are about to go nuts because you need SOMETHING..whip out your bar and eat that..and drink some of your water. If you can't bring a big bottle of water with you regularly.. go to your local Supermarket (or Walmart) and get those tiny pints of bottled water. I get them for my son to take to school in his lunch..because he insists on having water and a juice box..LOL! They fit in a large pocket even. He carries them in his sweat pant pockets sometimes.

    If you drink soda or that unnatural juice drink.. like Kool-Aid, Flavor-Aid, Huggs, etc. STOP. Start drinking tea. I drink Lipton iced tea all the damn time.. and it doesn't make me gain a pound. My favorite is Lipton Honey Pureleaf Green Tea. That stuff..good as heck! But they make different flavors and what I like about that brand is that it's no sodium. Sodium (salt) is a killer for me.. it makes me retain water like crazy. So I'm cautious about it but I don't cut it out of my diet completely. If I'm not adding the salt myself to something I try to buy stuff with very little to no sodium at all.

    Plus you feel better. After the first week of eating better, exercising, and drinking your water..I'm telling you that you will feel much better. And within week two.. you definitely should see a bit of weight loss. And as you go on.. gradually add on miles and use some of the other DVDs targeted at abs, thighs, or arms. I've used these methods for years and they work...believe me they do. Cause I'm someone that likes to eat and darnit when the holy days come around.. I want to eat! But you have to compromise and be willing to put in the time to excercise and be mindful of eating in moderation. Hell even get a smaller plate if you have to. I like to eat on salad plates and I don't pile it high.

    Anyway.. I hope that helps you get started. I'd be more than happy to offer you other recipes and tips if you'd be interested. But the way I described above really works..and you don't feel like you are hungry or deprived. I started doing this years ago when I realized that I don't have to pay Weight Watchers jack. I can make my own Weight Watchers program up and it can be just as effective. I also invested in these books called,
    "Eat This, Not That" and "Cook This, Not That". Those books are fantastic. They have others too.. like "Drink This, Not That", "Eat This, Not That 2012: The No Diet Weight Loss Solution". They are available at Walmart...and www.amazon.com (so are the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs)

    They are extremely helpful because when getting started trying to learn to eat better sometimes all the choices can be confusing and frustrating to figure out. These books really do a lot of the work for you and give you some good choices where you can still be like everyone else and have foods and drinks you enjoy..but you can make better choices about which kinds you consume and purchase!

    Anyway..good luck. I hope you have a lot of success!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • IAmJordanNicoleIAmJordanNicole Registered Users Posts: 784
    *Marah* wrote: »
    Well I have some good tips for you to lose weight and lose it cheaply too. First go to Walmart and get these very inexpensive DVDs called Walk Away The Pounds (they are awesome you can do it right in your house) they are so easy to do..if you can walk in place, forward, side ways, lift your knees some, I'm telling you.. you can do it. You don't have to have any special skills besides being able to walk. If you'd like to preview what I mean..check out this video: Walk Away The Pounds Pt. 1 - YouTube

    That's a very old one.. I own it but I have more very up to date ones that are excellent. She has videos that target certain spots too..like arms, abs, thighs, etc. And what you are doing is walking by miles..she paces you so that you can complete the mile. I've worked myself up to 17 miles a day before.. BELIEVE IT! And the pounds just melt off. If you can't get these DVD's try to look for full ones posted on Youtube. I think there are some full ones you can get started with on there.

    Now.. the next thing is WATER. Get yourself a clear 32oz bottle at Walmart. Get one with a good flip top cap so you can easily carry it with you without spilling it. Drink 2 of those per day. Yes..just two..and don't drink it ice cold. That way you can drink a bunch of it and not be freezing or feel like it's just to cold. I say get a clear bottle so you can see how much you are drinking and how much you have left to go. For me, it really helps to see it..that way I'm like, "Okay..I gotta get this water down some more.." it like motivates me. But once you get into the swing of exercising you'll easily put 3 of those a way per day cause you'll crave plenty of water after a work out.

    Next thing is food.. I'm not into the whole deprivation thing either. But the key is moderation. I like something called the 90/10 plan. It's basically where you eat 90% healthy.. like fresh veggies, fruits, lean meats, whole grains. And then when you feel like it..10% of the time you can have something that's not that healthy for you (basically junk food) but in moderation. Like maybe a piece of cake or an icecream cone. Also cut corners when you can on the junk food. Like if you can get frozen yogurt instead of an icecream cone get that.. if you can get chips with less salt do that.

    Also if you can cut back on sugar as much as you can. I'm not saying cut it completely out but if you can just use half the amount of sugar that you normally use that would help tremendously. Also cut back on salt a bit (now I love salt so this isn't easy for me and I don't cut salt all the way out at all...I just use less of it) and use herbs more to flavor your food. Mrs.Dash is a good one to use..they have different versions.

    Another thing.. AVOID PACKAGED FOOD. I'm talking about those silly tv dinner like things.. those things are full of salt. Start cooking. Yes.. I know it's a ding dang hassle at times but if you take one day per week and cook a bunch of stuff.. you can just package it up and freeze or refrigerate it.

    Having a George Foreman grill is a life saver. Check this out.. get some plain chicken breasts..skinless, boneless. Wash them good, pat dry, and season them however you like.. salt, pepper, garlic powder, herbs, etc. Pour some olive oil in a plastic bag and put the chicken in there. Put it in the fridge like while you are at work. Come home...fire up that George Foreman grill and stick those chicken breasts on there. And it doesn't always have to be chicken. Try grilling salmon, lean steaks, turkey burgers, baby lamb chops on it. It all cooks just as well on there. And the clean up is fast. Just wipe the grill down with a bunch of paper towels while it's still hot. Then use a wet sponge once it's cool to wipe it down good. Dry it and put it up.

    Next start steaming some veggies. Now this is easy as heck. You don't even need to buy a bunch of fresh ones. Here's what you do. Go to the grocery store and get something in the frozen section called: Green Giant 100% Natural Steamers. All it is are various frozen veggies. They have corn, carrots, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, veggie medleys. Pick whatever you like. I like to get the medleys (like carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower all in one bag) and then I can feel like I'm eating a variety.

    All you do is pop them in the microwave inside the bag..and cook for like 5 minutes. And they come out beautifully..they look and taste like fresh veggies from a garden. What I do is cook them in the bag, pour them into a glass bowl when they are done and season them with herbs, a tiny bit of butter, and a dash of salt, and some pepper. OH EM GEE. So so good. You put them with that grilled chicken breast, and make yourself a spinach salad (I always suggest spinach salads because regular lettuce sucks.. it's just a bunch of water..but spinach has nutrients and vitamins in it plus it has a taste. )What I like to do is get that baby spinach and make all sorts of fun salads with it.. with lots of colorful veggies.

    In the mornings you can have like a bowl of oatmeal. If you hate making Oatmeal..just get those Quaker instant oatmeal packs that have flavor already in them. Now be careful with these..dont eat 3 and 4 packs. Only eat 2 at the most. And if you still think you will be hungry cook an egg white or toast a piece of multi grain bread and slap some butter spread on it. Another route is making your own breakfast shakes in a blender..out of yogurt, fresh fruit, low fat milk ( you can even toss a bit of chocolate powder in there like Quik..ROFL..yes Quik), and have that.

    Keep snack bars on hand. I'd say get a brand that you can find that are low in sugar and taste good. If you go to Walmart or Target they have all sorts you can check out and see which you might prefer. Keep these in your purse. Kelloggs and Quaker make them. So if you feel like you are about to go nuts because you need SOMETHING..whip out your bar and eat that..and drink some of your water. If you can't bring a big bottle of water with you regularly.. go to your local Supermarket (or Walmart) and get those tiny pints of bottled water. I get them for my son to take to school in his lunch..because he insists on having water and a juice box..LOL! They fit in a large pocket even. He carries them in his sweat pant pockets sometimes.

    If you drink soda or that unnatural juice drink.. like Kool-Aid, Flavor-Aid, Huggs, etc. STOP. Start drinking tea. I drink Lipton iced tea all the damn time.. and it doesn't make me gain a pound. My favorite is Lipton Honey Pureleaf Green Tea. That stuff..good as heck! But they make different flavors and what I like about that brand is that it's no sodium. Sodium (salt) is a killer for me.. it makes me retain water like crazy. So I'm cautious about it but I don't cut it out of my diet completely. If I'm not adding the salt myself to something I try to buy stuff with very little to no sodium at all.

    Plus you feel better. After the first week of eating better, exercising, and drinking your water..I'm telling you that you will feel much better. And within week two.. you definitely should see a bit of weight loss. And as you go on.. gradually add on miles and use some of the other DVDs targeted at abs, thighs, or arms. I've used these methods for years and they work...believe me they do. Cause I'm someone that likes to eat and darnit when the holy days come around.. I want to eat! But you have to compromise and be willing to put in the time to excercise and be mindful of eating in moderation. Hell even get a smaller plate if you have to. I like to eat on salad plates and I don't pile it high.

    Anyway.. I hope that helps you get started. I'd be more than happy to offer you other recipes and tips if you'd be interested. But the way I described above really works..and you don't feel like you are hungry or deprived. I started doing this years ago when I realized that I don't have to pay Weight Watchers jack. I can make my own Weight Watchers program up and it can be just as effective. I also invested in these books called,
    "Eat This, Not That" and "Cook This, Not That". Those books are fantastic. They have others too.. like "Drink This, Not That", "Eat This, Not That 2012: The No Diet Weight Loss Solution". They are available at Walmart...and www.amazon.com (so are the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs)

    They are extremely helpful because when getting started trying to learn to eat better sometimes all the choices can be confusing and frustrating to figure out. These books really do a lot of the work for you and give you some good choices where you can still be like everyone else and have foods and drinks you enjoy..but you can make better choices about which kinds you consume and purchase!

    Anyway..good luck. I hope you have a lot of success!

    This was sooooo helpful! I actually think I'll print it out! Thank you!


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    There have been studies which show that over time, it's calories in vs. calories out that counts more than how you do it.


    Eat less. Exercise.

    Unfortunately, that's the bottom line for weight loss.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • IAmJordanNicoleIAmJordanNicole Registered Users Posts: 784
    curlypearl wrote: »
    There have been studies which show that over time, it's calories in vs. calories out that counts more than how you do it.


    Eat less. Exercise.

    Unfortunately, that's the bottom line for weight loss.

    I think that you're correct. I lost a lot of weight in high school that way mostly because I was involved in sports so as soon as I started to eat right the weight melted off! It's a little harder now but I'm definitely feeling motivated and will start getting active.


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    curlypearl wrote: »
    There have been studies which show that over time, it's calories in vs. calories out that counts more than how you do it.


    Eat less. Exercise.

    Unfortunately, that's the bottom line for weight loss.

    I have to agree. I've done all kinds of programs before and frankly..they all would have been a bust if I didn't exercise and burn more calories than I took in. That's how I came to the conclusion of I'm not doing this low carb, high protein or don't touch sugar or salt or self deprivation.. all these other programs that drove me nuts anymore. Including Weight Watchers. Not that it's a bad program..it did me a world of good to get those 25lbs I had packed on when I had my son eight years ago. But all this counting and point system stuff .. ugh. I'm just not motivated by that sort of thing. And I darn sure didn't want to be counting points for the rest of my life.

    I like the 90/10 plan. It's nothing special..it's basically eating healthy foods and occassional fun foods (junk) all in moderation. And you MUST be committed to exercise. Doing that has been a life saver for me. But I think there is something to be said for eating more healthy foods. Calories in vs Calories out is the bottom line for weight loss but health wise.. I think those calories in should be mainly healthy choices but at the same time you don't have to feel like dirt just cause you had a normal size slice of cake or a pack of M&M's for pete's sake.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • HoneycurlsHoneycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,889
    curlypearl wrote: »
    There have been studies which show that over time, it's calories in vs. calories out that counts more than how you do it.


    Eat less. Exercise.

    Unfortunately, that's the bottom line for weight loss.

    Absolutely...and that works great when you first start out. I used to believe it was just that simple, too. But, as your fitness level goes up and your weight goes down, that doesn't work so well anymore, and that presents quite a problem when you haven't reached your goal. It can derail a person quite easily, in fact. Also, it's NOT just that simple for everyone. My body stores weight around the middle and it metabolizes sugar and carbs differently than, say someone who was thin in their teens and 20s. I've always had to battle my weight. I was able to lose weight very quickly at the beginning of my journey in 2010 when I was pushing 200 lbs and totally out of shape. The weight just fell off, at about a lb a day for about the first 10 lbs. Then, it began to slowly taper off and eventually stopped completely, though I was still following the same diet method and still working out every day. I was still just "eating less" (far less, in fact) and "moving more" (way more) than I had when I was heavier. And, after a year, I was nearing my starting weight, especially packing on around the middle again, though this time, some of it was muscle...but still.

    I learned about the Wheat Belly book from a friend whose wife is a physician and owns a weight loss clinic in Ohio. They've each lost over 100 lbs without "dieting" or "exercising."

    Yes, the key is that you have to keep eating less and less and keep moving more and more, and at some point, that's not practical or healthy.

    "Deprivation" keeps being mentioned...I'm not pushing any kind of "deprivation." Again, it's all about how you think of food. Being fat and unhealthy deprives me of far more than not eating a few pieces of bread or some pasta every day. Where does it say that our bodies need these things? Depriving yourself of something, to me, implies that you are withholding something you need. And, let's not even talk about sugar. Do some research...if you are "depriving" yourself of loads of sugar, then you're doing yourself a huge favor.

    I still eat small amounts of rice with dinner occasionally. Brown basmati has the lowest glycemic index, and we love it anyway. Someone asked about fruit...yes, we still eat fruit. I'm not a huge fruit fan. It goes in waves for me.

    I'm not preaching tricks and fad diets or deprivation. Long-term weight loss is about making permanent lifestyle changes and they don't even have to be drastic or gimmicky--in fact, these are the types that fail. I have quite a bit of muscle now since I work with weights daily, yet it does little-to-nothing to increase my metabolism, as the studies all purport. So, that's another reason not to get locked into what studies claim.

    You can follow a so-called "deprivational" eating plan like mine, and still "cheat" now and then, especially if and when you reach your goal and are in a maintenance pattern. I'll say again and then I'm finished: I don't feel deprived one bit. I felt deprived by being fat and sluggish and out of shape. I felt deprived that I couldn't wear any of the clothes in my closet comfortably. I felt deprived that I hated to look in the mirror. I felt deprived because the foods I was eating left me feeling tired and lazy upon waking in the morning. I felt deprived because I had no energy to do anything strenuous and couldn't exert myself without triggering my asthma. I felt deprived because I didn't like going out in public anymore. I felt deprived because I couldn't enjoy sex anymore because it was too strenuous and I felt fat and unsexy and the internal fat in my abdomen would make it difficult and painful to breathe when hubs was on top. (TMI, but oh well).

    I'm sorry this is so long, but it irritates me that others have to try to put down what someone else says just because "they" don't agree--which doesn't make it wrong, BTW. I've been at this weight loss thing for a long time. And for the first time in my life, I'm talking from the viewpoint of success--not just out of the side of my head. If I wasn't such a privacy hound, I'd post some before and after pics because you'd (gy) be pretty effin' amazed at the transformation and less likely to scoff at my method. Of course, some just like to "be right." Well, I just like to be thin and healthy and happy.

    Anyway, again, good luck, IAJN, and everyone else who is on a fitness journey. One last piece of advice, when you're ready to kick up the intensity, do some research on high intensity interval training (HIIT). Supercharges your weight loss and fitness level but only takes minutes per day, 2-4 days/week.

    Eat to live, don't live to eat.
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

    I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • HoneycurlsHoneycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,889
    Don't know how I could forget this fact: The long-term result of simply eating less is overall slowing of the metabolism, and once this happens, you cannot speed up your base metabolic rate again. You can speed it up temporarily with exercise or pills, but its base rate remains the same and is only regulated internally. Weight loss is perceived as a threat to your body's existence, and it goes into survival mode to preserve itself. This is why many diet methods fail and why exercise only works for so long without increase or change.

    So, be careful with the " just eat less" philosophy. Done incorrectly, it can sabotage your longterm goals. Studies show that excessive dieting can also trigger your body to store more fat/cals for survival, in addition to the metabolic slowdown.
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

    I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • greenjumpergreenjumper Registered Users Posts: 891
    I've been doing something very similar to what Marah suggested and it has been working really well for me so far.

    One thing that I would add is to write down your weekly plan for exercise (so that it is a part of your daily schedule) and right down what you eat at the end of each day. It really is an eye-opener and keeps you honest about what you've been eating and how active you are.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I've been doing something very similar to what Marah suggested and it has been working really well for me so far.

    One thing that I would add is to write down your weekly plan for exercise (so that it is a part of your daily schedule) and right down what you eat at the end of each day. It really is an eye-opener and keeps you honest about what you've been eating and how active you are.

    Taking this one step further...
    I always struggled with keeping a food journal. Then I read a suggestion to take a picture of what you eat. I think the photo method definitely keeps me more honest (no worries of food amnesia at the end of the day).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • LAwomanLAwoman Registered Users Posts: 2,949 Curl Neophyte
    I can't recommend the website/app MyFitnessPal.com highly enough as a way to track your calories and nutrients.

    It's soooo user friendly and best of all....it's FREE! There are some very full and active forums on the website, too.
  • maria_imaria_i Registered Users Posts: 1,765 Curl Connoisseur
    I ll post what has worked for me, although I know many will disagree.

    I ve always known that carbs are what make me fat, but I just can not stop eating them. I know I have some kind of addiction to them.

    About 2 years ago I was on treatment for migraine. They gave me a drug called Topiramate. It was like a miracle. I stopped craving carbs.
    Treatment was only for three months.
    Time goes by and I start therapy for depression and anxiety. Dr gaves me an antidepressant, a very small dose of Xanax (.25 a day) and again Topiramate. I ve been on these three drugs since May 2011. I ve lost 30 pounds effortless. I simply don t want to eat bread or sugar, soda, pasta, potatoes, etc.
    I am eating fruit. A lot (tons of carbs I know). But that s all.
    Salads, all kind of meat, eggs, cheese, bacon!, a glass of wine once in a while (2 or 3 nights a week). Sometimes a slice of home-made bread.
    I m very happy with this diet. :)
    I ve lost this weight in many months.
    But I know it s the drug. I hope once I stop I don t gain all the weight back.
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I think my previous post gave the impression that I was dismissive of different methods for losing weight. Sorry if that was how it came across.

    I was just trying to say that no matter what method is used (and I know absolutely that different methods/diets/strategies will work differently for different people) in the end, you have to be taking in fewer calories than your body is using up in order to lose weight. But maybe that is obvious and so my previous post was not one of my better ones LOL. :toothy7:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I think my previous post gave the impression that I was dismissive of different methods for losing weight. Sorry if that was how it came across.

    I was just trying to say that no matter what method is used (and I know absolutely that different methods/diets/strategies will work differently for different people) in the end, you have to be taking in fewer calories than your body is using up in order to lose weight. But maybe that is obvious and so my previous post was not one of my better ones LOL. :toothy7:

    Hmm.. I certainly didn't see your post that way at all. I thought what you said was short but EXTREMELY beneficial. Sometimes people get caught up in this program and that program...and forget the fundamentals..which is burn more calories than you take in..plain and simple. It was a good reminder in my opinion.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    It's always calories in/calories out. The question is, What helps you limit your caloric intake?

    That's going to vary from one person to another. To figure out what works for you, you'll have to experiment a little. I think it helps to observe when and why you eat (do you eat out of boredom? do you wait to eat until you're starving?), and which foods make you feel full (do you need a lot of carbs to feel satisfied? a lot of protein?). Then you can use those observations plan a way to lower your caloric intake.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    maria_i wrote: »
    Time goes by and I start therapy for depression and anxiety. Dr gaves me an antidepressant, a very small dose of Xanax (.25 a day) and again Topiramate. I ve been on these three drugs since May 2011. I ve lost 30 pounds effortless. I simply don t want to eat bread or sugar, soda, pasta, potatoes, etc.
    It's thought that some people with depression crave carbohydrates because carbs may affect serotonin levels. If that hypothesis is right, then going on an anti-depressant (especially if it's an SSRI) may have made you stop craving carbs.

    Plus, there's just the fact that depression often affects people's appetite, making them eat either more or less.
  • juicyfruitjuicyfruit Registered Users Posts: 751
    I got serious about losing weight just prior to Thanksgiving because my clothes didn't fit, and my spare tire and belly were bigger than ever. I've been on South Beach (with a few adjustments), and have lost 20 pounds.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    I need to lose the extra weight I've put on over the last 6 months because of injury. I think it's about 10 pounds. I'd put on 10 pounds before then. So all in all, 20 pounds has to go., Although right now I'd be happy with 10lbs. I'm not allowed back to the gym yet, so I'm having to make do with a bit of walking and eating less which is quite hard when you're stuck at home and bored.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • ursulaursula Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Curl Neophyte
    To the OP: Pictures can be a rude awakening! Even though I knew I had gained weight, it was always shocking to see myself in a picture.

    I have lost 25 pounds since August. It's slow progress, but I'm not disappointed, because I feel like I'll be more likely to keep it off if I go slowly. I still have about 15-20 to go. Here are my suggestions:

    1. It really is about calories in/calories out. BUT, I agree with Honeycurls that cutting down on carbs can help change the shape of your body. During the fall, when I was eating pretty low-carb, my stomach got much flatter. Now, I've gone back to my carby ways but I'm still keeping an eye on calories. So I actually weigh less, but my body shape is looking more like it did pre-weight loss. My stomach is looking kind of bloated, and I know it must be the carbs.

    2. Writing down everything you eat really does help you count calories, which is key. I even exaggerate calories to counter the fact that I might be forgetting something or underestimating calories elsewhere. For example, if I eat something, and the package says 260 calories, I'll write it down as 300.

    3. Restricting calories is good, but I wouldn't restrict them too much. I stick to about 1400-1500, with maybe one cheat day a week.

    4. Here's a suggestion that a nutritionist might not approve of: a few times a week, I'll have a can of soup for dinner. (I'm not much of a cook, so this is basically an alternative to take out for me!) Soup is high in sodium, but low in calories. So it's an easy way to have a 300-calorie dinner and still feel really full.

    It is really hard to lose weight, because the obstacles are mainly psychological. Most people know how to lose weight, but it's just too difficult to put that knowledge into action. So I definitely sympathize. For me, it was just that something clicked, and I knew I had to do it. I was overweight for 10 years. Good luck to you!
    In search of a lost signature...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file