Hair Disaster!!!!!! HELP!!!

Mandibles858Mandibles858 Registered Users Posts: 2
I have natural curly hair, It's always been curly and unruly. I've never really taken care of it and it's never too late to start, right? I wash my hair everyday or it starts to look oily and gross plus my head starts to itch. I'm using Pantene Pro-v Breakage to strength for shampoo and conditioner. I almost always wear it up in a high or low pony tail. I rarely blow dry (possibly once every 2 months), rarely straighten (once a month) and when i do wear it down curly, I spray Aussie Sprunch Spray when it's wet and let it dry (at least once a week). My hair is also really long, I'm growing out for locks of love and it's down to the small of my back. When it was shorter, i used to straighten at least 3 times a week, it's too long to straighten everyday now. If you have any advice for me (Esp. cheap products that work, living on a low college kid budget) I would be grateful. Thanks!

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Have you considered trying the CG method? It doesn't work for everyone, but when it does work, the results can be really incredible. And it doesn't require a huge budget.

Basically, CG involves eliminating sulfates and non-water soluble silicones from your hair routine, and just treating your hair as gently as you would treat a good cashmere sweater.

I know that you said you shampoo daily because your hair gets oily. If you wanted to try co-washing (conditioner only washing), I would suggest a very light conditioner like Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume (I also just heard that Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Conditioner is great for co-washing). The light conditioner would just be used to clean your scalp (you want to make sure you really use your fingertips to clean and massage the scalp to loosen any dirt and such). Then follow with a heavier conditioner for the rest of your hair (I can't say enough good things about Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition). If the idea of conditioner only absolutely doesn't appeal to you, I would at least recommend a sulfate-free shampoo (Giovanni 50/50 is one of my favorites, other people swear by Renpure Organics- red bottle). I will also use a bit of my heavier conditioner as a leave-in.

Use a t-shirt instead of a towel to blot extra water from your hair. Some people add their hair products before this (to sopping wet hair), others add product after. A gel is great for setting your curls in place. Herbal Essences (Set Me Up or Totally Twisted) and LA Looks both make gels that are great for curly hair.

Just one last note- if you decide to try CG, do one final sulfate shampoo to remove any silicone build-up that you might already have in your hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • SimplySophiaSimplySophia Registered Users Posts: 54
    Your scalp could be getting oily because of how much it's washed. This isn't the case with everyone but it has happened to several people who found that once they shampooed less their hair was happier and their scalp settled down. I would definitely recommend the CG method. Even if you put your curls up they're still much healthier.

The LA Gel is amazing, I'm using it now and the big bottle is around $3 at Walmart. I'm using the Organix hair line for my shampoo and conditioner and they're around $6 for the conditioner or shampoo. Maybe once your Panteene is gone you could try that.

I'd like to thank you for growing your hair out for Locks of Love. My sister, myself and a few of my friends have all done it before and it's amazing to think that we can help at least one person in someway with their illness. :salute:

Good Luck!
    Type -3a/3b
    Cleanser-KCCC
    Condtioner-KCKT
    Products- Herbal Essences TT Mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file