Can allergies cause hair loss?

Hi, I am not sure if the question was clear so let me explain lately I've been having itchy skin and didn't really know why I have finally realized that it is almost definitely caused by either my shampoo or conditioner probably shampoo which is organix however when I tried it on my skin it didn't cause any redness or itchiness. Anyways when I did put it on my scalp it made it itch and I felt like I lost more hair than normal? Can that be possible or am I just panicking for no reason? I really like this shampoo so if it wont cause me any harm just itchiness I don't mind thank you
Lo-poo:organix Shea butter shampoo
Co-wash: suave coconut
Rinse out:GFTN/GVP conditioning balm
Leave in: GF daily care spray leave in
Serum-like product: still need one
Gel:LA looks sport gel/ HESMU,GFPC
Oils: olive, coconut

I think I'm normal-overly porous, medium-thick hair(although I see fine hair too), love protein

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    From my experience with people and dogs, all-day-long itchiness, accompanied with some skin inflammation and maybe scaling (flakiness) can definitely be accompanied by hair loss. When I use itch-provoking products, sometimes I feel like I'm losing more hair - but I can't really be sure without counting (not going to happen), or using them again and re-counting (seriously not going to happen).

If I wash my hair with shampoo (which I do), I usually notice more hair loss than when I wash it with water. I can't be sure if this is because the hair is just tangling in my hands vs. rinsing off un-noticed. Bottom line: don't use products that cause itch. Todays itch could be tomorrows rash and you don't need that. Once your skin is irritated by one product, it's likely to be irritated by other products too, so you're better off avoiding this one.
  • marieantoinettemarieantoinette Posts: 131Registered Users
    Product buildup can cause itchiness too, so double check your products for cones.
    Hair type 2A, fine texture but very very dense (TONS of hair)!
    Products: Suave Naturals coconut co-wash, L'Oreal EverCreme Moisturizing rinse-out
    LA Looks Sports Gel (on the hunt for a better gel!)
  • marieantoinettemarieantoinette Posts: 131Registered Users
    Oh and also, it's normal to lose 100-200 hairs a day and in my experience more when i put my hair up. You're probably fine, but if it seems like more than like 250, I would think about having it checked out if it goes on for at least four days.
    Hair type 2A, fine texture but very very dense (TONS of hair)!
    Products: Suave Naturals coconut co-wash, L'Oreal EverCreme Moisturizing rinse-out
    LA Looks Sports Gel (on the hunt for a better gel!)
  • McfrizzyMcfrizzy Posts: 406Registered Users
    IAgirl wrote: »
    From my experience with people and dogs, all-day-long itchiness, accompanied with some skin inflammation and maybe scaling (flakiness) can definitely be accompanied by hair loss. When I use itch-provoking products, sometimes I feel like I'm losing more hair - but I can't really be sure without counting (not going to happen), or using them again and re-counting (seriously not going to happen).

If I wash my hair with shampoo (which I do), I usually notice more hair loss than when I wash it with water. I can't be sure if this is because the hair is just tangling in my hands vs. rinsing off un-noticed. Bottom line: don't use products that cause itch. Todays itch could be tomorrows rash and you don't need that. Once your skin is irritated by one product, it's likely to be irritated by other products too, so you're better off avoiding this one.
    Thanks for the reply I am definetly going to try and avoid using it and see how it turns out and yea I also comb with shampoo first so that's when I have lots of tangles so it could be just that(and I'll probably never count each hair either)

I think I'm normal-overly porous, medium-thick hair(although I see fine hair too), love protein
  • McfrizzyMcfrizzy Posts: 406Registered Users
    Oh and also, it's normal to lose 100-200 hairs a day and in my experience more when i put my hair up. You're probably fine, but if it seems like more than like 250, I would think about having it checked out if it goes on for at least four days.

Lol thanks for the advice and my organix shampoo only has one cone and it's water soluble so I don't think it's that and I'm not sure if it's over250 my hair is kinda long so it could be just that I'll try and avoid using it and see what happens thanks!

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd stop using any product that causes an allergic reaction immediately. It doesn't get better over time, it only gets worse. Before I realized that my scalp was reacting, I had a mild reaction to a product. Next use, it started to burn. Now, I take even a minor tingle as reason enough to discontinue use.

If you even think it could be causing hair loss, why continue using it??
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file