In the meanwhile

KaterinaKaterina Registered Users Posts: 117
I've bought a CG conditioner ( Vo5 Tea Therapy Chamomile) but haven't been able to buy new styling products.

I can't get to the store I want to visit right now, and might not be able to go to it for another several days. Tomorrow's unlikely, as we are expected to be socked by snow yet again. Thus, looking for some kind of routine til I can buy some products that are CG-friendly.

An obvious choice, of course, is to just co-wash and use no product, let air dry and/or plop. Does plopping do ok without the use of product to enhance the curl?

Otherwise, when using a product, I'm looking for the "lesser of evils". My current styling products include: Got 2 b kinky, TreSemme curl care line and DoveCurl and Sculpt, all in mousse form; Garnier Fructis curl shaping and Pantene Curls spray gels and John Frieda Dream Curls spray. In terms of ingredients, G2b has a polyquat for the 3rd ingredient, dimethicone at # 8 immediately followed by panthenol and a whole bunch of parabens to round out the mix. TreSemme has 3 polyquats( ingred. #5, 7,8) and 2 siloxanes (#9,10) in the can. Dove has dimethyl ether (#3), polyquat (#4). Demethiconol is at #11. It ends the ingredient list with silk amino acids. Cyclomethicone is the last ingredient. Garnier Fructis has PEG ingredients at #5,6,7. Pantene has PEGs at #10 and 11.

My hair is fine and wavy. The canopy has the least amount of wave and can lose what it does have rather quickly on the best days, whereas the underlayers have much more defined waves and sometimes even curls. A few days ago I had interlocking, long lanky spirals on one side of my head. ( Do waves spiral?).

I used to skip a day of shampooing not too long ago, and leave my hair to air dry with no product. I was using curly-formulated drug-store products, or even Suave Coconut. It didn't seem to matter if I used the Suave coconut or the transparent, mass-market formulation. The next day my hair was stringy, greasy and I couldn't work with it at all. I'd be in the shower by day's end because the hair was so greasy at the root and on the shaft. This has been no less the case now (except I haven't been using the Suave coconut.)

Suggestions for the "lesser of evils" til I can drive to the natural foods store to look for the Nature's Gate products, or to a drug store for Freeman products? I've never tried the Freeman, but have heard of them.

Thanks so much!
fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.

Comments

• lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    I'd avoid the cyclomethicone if you can, since you'd need a sulfate to wash it out. The polyquats can build up after a while but at least they are easier to rinse out, at least from my experience. The Nature's Gate conditioners are quite nice, especially the organics line. :)
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Rather than trying to find out what MAY be okay, I would just stay clear of all ingredients ending in "-cone" or "-siloxane". Regardless of where they end up in the list of ingredients, it always turns out bad for me.

As some of us have said before, you can use many of the V05, and the Suave naturals lines of conditioners, and as far as products go, I know the Suave Naturals Aloe Vera is safe, and well liked around here.

Everything you listed for styling products is going to give you bad results if you try to go CG and still use them.

Even when I'm not CG I try to make it a point of making this clear: Being CG DOES NOT just mean co-washing. You can NOT co-wash and still use silicones. You are going to get horrible buildup, and totally attract bacteria and dirt to your hair and scalp.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    I think the Garnier spray gel is okay.....I think most of the others have tough to remove silicones. I'm not familiar with the Pantene at all.

Good luck,

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • KaterinaKaterina Registered Users Posts: 117
    memes wrote:
    I think the Garnier spray gel is okay.....I think most of the others have tough to remove silicones. I'm not familiar with the Pantene at all.

Good luck,

Michelle

Thanks. That does help me.

Does the Garnier spray gel work for you?
    fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.
  • memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    I only use it right along my hairline to get some hold there. All of my hair wants go grow forward and I hate hair in my face so I need some pretty strong stuff to control it. The GF spray works good for that.

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • KaterinaKaterina Registered Users Posts: 117
    memes wrote:
    I only use it right along my hairline to get some hold there. All of my hair wants go grow forward and I hate hair in my face so I need some pretty strong stuff to control it. The GF spray works good for that.

Michelle

Memes, babywavy and lushaholic, thanks a bunch!

The GF is CG appropriate, but I've learned I can remove it from my hair personally without shampoo. I tried a baking soda rinse recently and that didn't get it out. It just built up on me. Thanks so much anyway for your input!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file