Grrrrr!!! Day 1 and I already failed CG! I need help

So I went to go pick up some products today so I could start CG.. I went and got suave naturals coconuts shampoo to do my final cleanse and I got GVP conditioning balm and mixed silks deep condish.. And i had the suave natural coconut condish already at home. When I got home I Washed my hair, used the suave naturals condish and kept that in while I finished my showers, rinsed it out then put my mixed silk dc in. Well I just read thru these ingredients again and the mixed silk has a cone in it that I some how missed!!

So now I have to start all over! :(

Anyways I just wanted to know what products u use for ur co-wash, rinse out, leave in and DC.. I know some of u will say its ok for me to use the same one for all of those but I prefer not too. Also I like thicker consistencies not watery one.. Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Comments

• Nikki3bNikki3b Posts: 327Registered Users
    First things first. Have you figured out if your hair has high porosity or low. I don't care for suave or gvp balm. It really is a trial and error process. I started with suave but it didn't clean my scalp well. Find out what kinda hair you have. From there you can figure out if you need products with protein or none at all. Good rule of thumb is if the ingredients end with one it's a cone. Target has a good section of ch products for curly girls

I use Curls creamy cleanser
    Tresemme naturals cond as rinse out
    Trader joes nourish spa cond as leave in
    I hope that helps a little 😊
  • CurlyTee21CurlyTee21 Posts: 78Registered Users
    Nikki3b wrote: »
    First things first. Have you figured out if your hair has high porosity or low. I don't care for suave or gvp balm. It really is a trial and error process. I started with suave but it didn't clean my scalp well. Find out what kinda hair you have. From there you can figure out if you need products with protein or none at all. Good rule of thumb is if the ingredients end with one it's a cone. Target has a good section of ch products for curly girls

I use Curls creamy cleanser
    Tresemme naturals cond as rinse out
    Trader joes nourish spa cond as leave in
    I hope that helps a little 😊

Yeah I'm high porosity! This is my first time using the balm and suave. I've just heard a lot about them so decided to try them out.. Yes u have helped! :) I've used the tresemme before but it didn't help with detangling at all.. I have extremely thick hair and only thick cond help with that..

I knew it was going to be trial and error thing cuz everyones hair is diff but everytime I go into Sally's or to get some products I don't know where to start lol.. I just was trying to get some suggestions on where to begin or some products to try out..

Where do u get the traders joe and the curls creamy cleanser from?

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I also prefer thicker conditioners- I prefer the Tresemme Naturals as a co-wash (I use the Radiant Volume formula). My favorite drugstore RO is Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. It's thick, moisturizing and is awesome for detangling. I Like the GVP conditioning balm also, but I think the GFTN detangles better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • Nikki3bNikki3b Posts: 327Registered Users
    Well I get most of my products from target. I have high porous hair. So I can give you an idea of what I do. I make sure to do a protein treatment every three weeks. I do the IAgirl protein treatment that can be found on this website. Just type it in the search. I make sure I apply all moisture based products in the shower. I do te curls cleanser because my scalp produces too much oil. No co washing for me. I than do either deva one conditioner or tresemme. Then I apply a good leavin with lots of protein. I found trader joes to work for me. If you have a trader joes near you you can find it there. If not , the Anna line contains lots of proteins. I than apply a gel with protein. La looks has protein. Im not a huge fan of Sally's. They have tons of stuff but nothing stands out but that's just my opinion. But target in the other hand has a great line of products for curly girls. I looks at lots of reviews on products. When I'm looking to try something I look on the NC product reviews in curl Mary. I look to see what people have to say. I would say for you, look for things that contain silk, wheat, proteins.the Shea moisture line for curls contains lots of protein but the shampoo is a lil oily. I know this is a lot if info, I'm sorry
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome to CG, CurlyTee! You haven't failed, you've just made a mistake. No biggie, and something many others have done. I'm gonna throw a few things out here. Hopefully not too much info. at once. :)

Here's a list of CG conditioners you can find on the ground in a Walmart or other drugstore: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/newbies-info-introductions/76251-curlies-budget.html This article should help you figure out texture, since you already know your porosity: Live Curly, Live Free: Hair Texture. If you haven't yet, check out the stickies in the newbie section for tons of good info.

I'll second Corinna on the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition as a rinse out. Tons of slip, and lots of good moisture. It does double duty for me as a leave in conditioner. I put a tiny amount back into my hair after I rinse it all out. The other stuff I use is in my siggy. Oftentimes, people will list what products (or even techniques) they use in their siggies, and it's a good place to look for what might work for you. If they share your porosity and texture, it's a reasonable indication your hair would also like their products, but it's not a guarantee.

As far as silicones, anything ending in -cone, -conol, or -xane is one. The exceptions are methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone. They look similar, but they're used as preservatives and are not silicones. Also, any silicone with PEG or PPG in front of it is water soluble, which means cowashing will remove it, and it's CG friendly.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • ChikyuuChikyuu Posts: 268Registered Users
    It's kind of hard to find, but a cheap salon product is Regis Design line Olive oil conditioner if you was something really thick. I use this as a leave-in personally. I bought it at around $11 for 12 oz last time.
    PhoneCurtainScale.jpgPhoneFrontScale.jpgWEbcamHaircutscale.jpg
    2c or something MODCG Since December 2011!
    New May 20th Routine
    Low-poo:SheaM
    Co-wash:VO5 KiwiLime or VanillaMint
    LI:TN, Regis OliveOil Condish, GVP CB
    Styler: LALSG
    Daily routine: Cleanse, LI, soak with water, scrunch in gel, plop, pixie diffuse, air dry.

• marieantoinettemarieantoinette Posts: 131Registered Users
    you know, before you go tossing things out simply because they HAVE a cone in them, i think you should see how your hair reacts to it first. i mean, i use a product that has a cone or two in it and it doesn't make much of a difference to be honest, at least not yet. if your hair seems to hate that product, then you can go ahead and stop using it, but i wouldn't go worrying that i failed or anything :)
    Hair type 2A, fine texture but very very dense (TONS of hair)!
    Products: Suave Naturals coconut co-wash, L'Oreal EverCreme Moisturizing rinse-out
    LA Looks Sports Gel (on the hunt for a better gel!)
    Sorry I haven't been Keeping up with this post but I've been reallllllyyy busy with school!! Lol but I appreciate all the responses! U ladies have helped a lot!! I'm going to pick up some tresemme naturals on my way home tonight for co washing with and check out some of the other products u guys mentioned, if they have them at the store I'm going too, and see which consistency I like the best..
    Just an update: I've only been doing this CG method for about a week but I have noticed that my hair shrinks ALOT more.. Also detangling this beast has gotten to be a workout.. I use to only have to detangle like once every 5 days and it would take about an hour, but now I have to detangle every 2 days and it takes two hours (tons of tangles!).. I'm trying my hardest to stick it out but I don't know how much longer I can do this :/.. I'm hoping when I find the right products everything will turn around.. Wish me luckk..

I will let u guys know what conditioners I buy once I get them.. And again thank u all for u help.

Okay so I just got home from the store and I ended up buying tresemme naturals and garner fructis triple moisture!

I also realized that I only listed the things that were goin wrong wit the CG.. I haven't just had bad results.. My hair is a lot softer, especially the middle of my hair which use to always be dry and brittle. The middle is where I have the shortest hair so I'm hoping that this will help it grow since its not always dry. Also my hair is gettin curlier, which is what I was hoping for! Now if I can just figure out these tangles I will be very happy.

I do think I need to do a protein treatment tho.. Do u have any suggests of good ones i can get in stores somewhere? Thanks :)

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Many curlies like the Aphogee 2 Step that you can get at Sally's. Joico K-Pak is good for others, and Sally's has a generic version, Generic Value Products Reconstructing Conditioner. Or, if you're ok to mix up your own, there's IAGirl's PT, similar to the Aphogee 2 Step. My hair loved IAGirl's PT.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    Many curlies like the Aphogee 2 Step that you can get at Sally's. Joico K-Pak is good for others, and Sally's has a generic version, Generic Value Products Reconstructing Conditioner. Or, if you're ok to mix up your own, there's IAGirl's PT, similar to the Aphogee 2 Step. My hair loved IAGirl's PT.

Ohhh I love aphogee! For some reason I just assumed I wouldn't be able to use it.. I will definitely be gettin some this weekend! Thank u!

Just wanted to share this convo I had wit a Sally's worker today..

I went in to pick up the aphogee protein treatment today and when I walked in she asked me if she could help me find anything and I told her that I was just picking up a protein treatment. She asked me why I think I need to do a protein Treatment and I told her why and she starts shaking her head saying how ppl always think that they need to do a protein treatment when they really don't need to and end up making their hair dry and brittle and it ends up breaking. So she felt my hair and told me I didn't need one.. And I started telling her about this CG method and how I'm doing that now and she asked me what I was using on my hair so I told her ( tresemme naturals, garnier frutis, conditioning balm and shea moisture curl enhancing smoothing) and she was showed me the the nexxus humectant conditioner saying that she doesn't understand why I'm using all these conditioners and that that conditioner is all I need.. So I look at the ingredients and I seen like two or three different cones and I told her AGAIN that I'm doing the CG method and can't use cones in my hair because I would have to use a sulfate shampoo to get them out.. She give me this funny look and told me that's not true and she's never heard that before and that she did hair for twenty something years in a salon.. and then started telling me how everyone thinks black ppls hair and white ppls hair are so different and that they really aren't. She said that the chemicals in black and white ppls hair are the same, she said the other thing that was different was that they grow differently (she was a white lady). Then she was like black ppl think that they just need all these oils in their hair but really those oils are just sitting on top of ur hair and that the conditioner (nexxus) actually locks in moisture inside ur hair instead of sitting on top of the hair.

I know this convo sounds rude the way she was saying stuff but she actually worded everything nicely and didn't come off offensive to me the way she was talking and saying things like "black ppl think", black ppl this, black ppl that.. If I took offense to anything it was her trying to tell me what MY hair needed.. I wouldn't mind if she gave me suggestions but that wasn't the case, she was saying what I didn't need to do to my hair and what I need to do to my hair.. If anyone KNOWs what my hair needs it should be me because I've been living with it for 21 years and gotten to know it very well, especially these last three years.. I Still dont know what my hair needs and I doubt that some random lady with pin straight hair knows what my hair needs either..!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file