Hi, I'm new!

Hey, everyone, I'm Rachael :3 this is a wonderful site! so wonderful in fact, I had to join the forums :D I believe I am a 3b hair type with persistent dry hair. At it's worst I could describe it as "the front starts the fire, the ends are the kindling, and the middle is the firewood." Ie, front's the driest, ends are next, and middle usually isn't that bad. Frizz is my enemy year-round. It's not unusual for me to wash my hair and despite putting product in it, having it explode into a huge mess of ugly uncurls when it dries. I rarely blow dry it, and flatironing is also infrequent. My hair is thick and long (just past shoulder length when soaked and fully curled) so the sheer time and effort required to flatiron it usually isn't worth it. I usually only wash my hair once a week (I flux between poos, depends on what's in the house. Longest stretch is with one of the Dove Moisturizing poos) and always condition afterwards. I didn't know brushing was bad for curls until I saw it here, but I always put some sort of moisturizer on my hair (didn't know doing it wet was better either).

I've had my hair colored and relaxed before (only relaxed perhaps three times in my whole life). Last relaxer was 2006, last coloring was summer 2011. Can't remember exactly lol but let's just say this, only half my hair length is colored at this point XD. Today I did my first ever cowash :) While I believed all you guys about it actually working (I mean really, what's more believable, that millions of people are lying to themselves and each other, or that conditioner can be successfully used to clean hair?), I was pleasantly stunned to find my hair feeling quite clean and refreshed! I used a random bottle of VO5 conditioner in the bathroom cupboard to cowash and GN Triple Nutrition conditioner to condition afterwards. I also have one of the GN leave in conditioning creams, it's the intense moisture one. Also used the GN anti frizz serum, though I sorely need a replacement for that because it has a silicone in it. While my hair did come out looking quite nice, clearly curly, it was still fluffy, frizzy, and dry.

I've done deep conditioning treatments before too, but alas, still dry. I'm trying to embrace and pamper my curls because I love them and I look nice with them, but I just can't seem to get it undry, unfrizzy, and good looking fluffy rather than a persian fresh out the dryer fluffy. It's currently winter where I live and worse yet, the temperature keeps fluxing. Dry air and humid air just wreaks havoc on my hair as much as it does to my asthma. Help please? Especially with a drugstore anti frizz serum that's silicone free! I definitely need one of those!

BTW, my mom says I have porous hair. It takes over an hour to get color to really show in my hair when I do at home colorings. It dries out quickly on top (only thing that keeps it damp is its thickness) and at the ends. Because it's so unruly I often keep it in a ponytail, so the front tends to break. I'm mostly black (Native American, Filipino in there too) if that means anything lol I really just need a way to keep it from being so dry. I've tried olive oil and coconut oil.

Anyway, hi everyone! :D

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to our community—we're so glad you've joined us!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • ruchipuchiruchipuchi Registered Users Posts: 149

BTW, my mom says I have porous hair. It takes over an hour to get color to really show in my hair when I do at home colorings. It dries out quickly on top (only thing that keeps it damp is its thickness) and at the ends. Because it's so unruly I often keep it in a ponytail, so the front tends to break. I'm mostly black (Native American, Filipino in there too) if that means anything lol I really just need a way to keep it from being so dry. I've tried olive oil and coconut oil.

Anyway, hi everyone! :D

Welcome Rae!

Based on the dye thing, your hair is actually probably not very porous. Porosity is used to describe the "holes" in your hair shaft. The more there are, the higher your porosity is. If you have higher porosity/more holes, dye will get into your hair shaft faster and take faster. So if you have to wait a long time for dye to take, it's because you have fewer holes/lower porosity.
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file