CurlTalk

Help...I hate bra shopping!

Agent ScarlettAgent Scarlett Posts: 275Registered Users
So it's time for me to buy new bras and I'm looking for really cute yet functional everyday bras. I'm a 36B and I'm having the hardest time finding at least one bra that I really like. The department stores here suck. I like a little padding and prefer a push up bra since the girls need all the help they can get, but there just doesn't seem to be a great selection of them. I've been to Nordstrom, Macy's, and VS. The bras I tried on at VS looked and felt cheap...almost like they were made out of foam. I haven't been to Frederick's of Hollywood yet, but that's my next stop.

Anyway, where do you typically find bras at? I tried looking online for a boutique and came up with a bunch of naughty lingerie stores...definitely not what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Comments

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users
    Did you try the Wacoal bras at Nordstroms or Macys? I have two that are pretty much exactly what you described. They were pricey but well worth it.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Agent ScarlettAgent Scarlett Posts: 275Registered Users
    Ya, I saw the Wacoal bras but they didn't have any padding. The stores here suck, which is surprising considering I live in a very busy city near Los Angeles. The selection here is just crappy I guess. Hmm, maybe I'll check Wacoal on line. Thanks!
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users
    The one I have is called the Lace Front Contour Bra. It is listed under the petite ones but I believe the sell a non-petite variety as well. It's a great bra. Let's me fake having breasts.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    I buy all my bras at Frederick's. Granted, they're the only ones who make my size (and are accessible), but I find the quality is really good for the price, which is typically half of VS. They have deals all the time, too. AND, their padding is often removable, so you have options. Oh, and the bras are really pretty. The salespeople are really nice, too. If they didn't close their branch here, I probably would have considered applying for a job there, time allowing. I really, really like them.
    Under construction.
  • TXAggiecurlsTXAggiecurls Posts: 7Registered Users
    this may surprise you, but American Eagle Outfitters has REALLY CUTE and functional, comfy, push-up ish bras! I'm a 34 B and my boobs don't really do the sexy cleavage thing, but with my new bra, they look a lot nicer. I got mine on sale for $15. give them a try!
    BAN the flat iron!
  • RichardHeadRichardHead Banned Posts: 629Banned Users
    Buy some bigger boobs. Problem solved! :lol:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Um...Dick Head...how does having larger breasts solve the needing-a-bra problem? Seems it makes the problem worse.
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    First of all, when you go bra shopping, don't say "I'm a 36B". Getting the number/letter combination out our heads makes it easier. Second, go to Macy's or Nordstroms and ask for their professional fitter. Have that person explain to you how to fit a bra.

When people have trouble, it's often because they're looking for a certain size rather than for what fits.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    ITA with Myra. I am actually heading over to Nordstrom's today to try and get fitted.

I bought some bra's last week from Fredericks, and thouught they totally fit. Now, wearing them under clothes and all of that, they don't fit at all. She did measure me, but seems that she did some guesswork too...."Well, let's try this size and see..."
    :rambo:
  • xheatherbeexheatherbee Posts: 48Registered Users
    I desperately need new bras, but I can never find my size. I am a 34AA. I've tried 32As before, but they are usually too tight in the band and, sadly, too big in the cups. It is a mystery to me why they are so small.
    For I know that my Redeemer lives,
    And He shall stand at last on the earth;
    And after my skin is destroyed, this I know,
    That in my flesh I shall see God,
    Whom I shall see for myself,
    And my eyes shall behold, and not another.
    How my heart yearns within me!
    (Job 19:25-27)

Hey Dick Head...that's a great idea! Wanna come boobie shopping with me? :wink:

While Dick and I set up a boobie shopping date, I will need to buy some bras to wear in the meantime. I tried on some bras at Fredericks but I didn't find one that I liked. Funny how I'm having such a hard time with bras now considering I used to work at Fredericks (but that was 12 years ago). I did buy some bras at Macy's that I thought fit well but when I wore one the other day, it was so uncomfortable. I ended up just taking it off and I went braless at work :lol:

So, I think I'll go this weekend and just get fitted. My bra size has fluctuated a lot this past year so this may be the problem. Thanks for all the help! :D
    Bra sizes should be treated like any other clothing size. I bet there's not one woman on this board who has one size of shoes. I bet we all have at least two; I have everything from 6 to 7.5, Mediums and Narrow. Right now I'm wearing a medium sweater and large turtleneck. One day, at Casual Corner, I bought a size 8 skirt and size 12 skirt. With shoes, I ask the sales clerk to bring a 6.5 and 7. With clothes, I take in a 12, 14, and 16.

Our bras should be no different. Try each one on and don't think of yourself as this size or that.
    Myradella3, you are so right. I wear some tops in an XS, some in small, and others in Medium.
  • Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    I couldn't agree more about getting fitted. About a month ago Oprah had a show about finding the right size bra and jeans (I think it was called The Bra Revolution). They discussed how many women (like over 90%) are wearing the wrong size and how to find one that is right for you.

Sure enough, when I measured I was wearing the wrong band size and cup size!! No wonder my bras never feel good!

BRA FIT TIPS
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    CSI Gal wrote:
    I'm a 36B and I'm having the hardest time finding at least one bra that I really like.
    :evil:
    I should add that I have had a breast reduction. It was absolutely the best thing I could have ever done in my life. Since then I've become bra obsessed.
    frau wrote:
    CSI Gal wrote:
    I'm a 36B and I'm having the hardest time finding at least one bra that I really like.
    :evil:

lol, I used to be a 36C. I miss the girls :cry:
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    Just got back from being fitted.

The bra's I bought last week?

38DD.

My fitting today?

32DDDD or 32G.

I don't look that big, that's the thing. Even the sales lady was shocked. But now I have a bra that fits, and I can TOTALLY tell.
    :rambo:
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    why oh why can't i have breasts too??? :oops:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    why oh why can't i have breasts too???

They're not all they're cracked up to be. Sometimes I wish I could take them off and put them in a drawer for a while.
  • Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    But now I have a bra that fits, and I can TOTALLY tell.

That is awesome!!
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
    CSI Gal wrote:

I never enjoyed shopping with women, but for this I can make an acception. :wink:
  • sarasarasarasara Posts: 1,561Registered Users
    I never enjoyed shopping with women, but for this I can make an acception.

You mean exception, right?
    Yeah, thanks for the proofreading. :?
    CSI Gal wrote:

I never enjoyed shopping with women, but for this I can make an acception. :wink:

Ya, I knew you would. :P
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    sarasara wrote:
    I never enjoyed shopping with women, but for this I can make an acception.

You mean exception, right?

tee hee :lol:
  • bostonwavesbostonwaves Posts: 727Registered Users
    why oh why can't i have breasts too???

They're not all they're cracked up to be. Sometimes I wish I could take them off and put them in a drawer for a while.

LOL RedCat - ITA. They do get in the way quite off.
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users

Yeah, like at the gym, or to wear a backless shirt, or to hang out (even just around the house) and be comfortable without a bra, or to wear a dress with a really deep v-neck like Debra Messing on Will and Grace, or when you have to work with lots of men and you're just not in the mood for it, or when shopping for button-down shirts..........
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON