CurlTalk

I got a loose gentle spiral perm and I love it!

wavechaserwavechaser Posts: 33Registered Users
Well, I broke down and "cheated." Since starting CG, my waves have bounced back nicely, but I have these weird sections of my hair that have no curl or wave at all -they are stick straight. So, I was supposed to get a Deva Cut on Friday, but changed the appointment and decided to get a gentle and loose spiral perm to boost and depend the s-pattern of my waves. The stylist used the bendy foam rods, not typical "perm" rods, and used several different sizes. She also used a very gentle perm solution.

I love the results - it looks like my wavy hair, only better and my hair still feels soft - no damage to speak of. So far so good. I am definitely happy to be able to even out my pattern without those weird straight pieces hanging around. :toothy8:
Hair Type: 2b/2c

Cleansers: DevaCurl No Poo; Jessicurl Gentle Lather
R/O Conditioner: DevaCurl One Condition
L/I Conditioner: KCKT
Stylers: SSCEJ, Re:Coil, DevaCurl Arc Angel, DevaCurl Set Up and Above
Finishers: DevaCurl Set Up and Above, Ouidad Clear Control Pomade, Ouidad Finishing Mist

I have found that scrunching my gel into damp, not soaking wet hair makes a world of difference for me.:thumbright:

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users
    Don't you look happy! It looks really nice - natural. Something I don't associate with perms, growing up in the 80s. She did a great job. Bugger! Now you'll set off in some of our heads, "what if I just got a perm and had it over with?" Hope it lasts and lasts - and if you re-do or spot-perm again, you can get the same stylist, using the same solution etc. Did you take notes? Eek! Have fun.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I agree. It looks great and really natural. As a child of the 80's, I'm surprised that perms can look that natural.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users
    Really happy for you that you found something that solved your hair dilemmas!

I am going to be odd man out/likely unpopular and say that I wish, for you, that you would have at least TRIED a Deva cut before you chemically curled your hair. Now it will be a very long time until you know if it would have.

Mine went exactly from your before to your new after with 1 Deva cut. No chemicals, no up keep and no additional cost.

I guess I am weird but I LOVE being able to say "No, it is natural" when asked if I got a perm. Then people act really surprised because I had such straight hair before.

Here's to all good hair days for you. You really do look happy!!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • wavechaserwavechaser Posts: 33Registered Users
    I completely understand your feelings, JJAC. I actually met with the Deva Stylist for the consultation and she advised that, while she could bring out my waves to some degree, I was unlikely to get the look I was seeking from the Deva Cut alone. So, I opted to do the gentle spiral perm to help me transition and perk up my waves. I am hoping that I won't have to keep it up all over my head, but likely just on the underside where I have straight tendencies. We'll see how it goes :)

Finishers: DevaCurl Set Up and Above, Ouidad Clear Control Pomade, Ouidad Finishing Mist

I have found that scrunching my gel into damp, not soaking wet hair makes a world of difference for me.:thumbright:
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users
    wavechaser wrote: »
    I completely understand your feelings, JJAC. I actually met with the Deva Stylist for the consultation and she advised that, while she could bring out my waves to some degree, I was unlikely to get the look I was seeking from the Deva Cut alone. So, I opted to do the gentle spiral perm to help me transition and perk up my waves. I am hoping that I won't have to keep it up all over my head, but likely just on the underside where I have straight tendencies. We'll see how it goes :)

I think it looks beautiful! :) I also may be the odd man out for what I'm about to say: if it takes certain products and manipulation techniques to achieve a curl/wave pattern that you do not have without those products or techniques, then I don't consider that your "natural" curl pattern. My sig line says 3a, but in the cold months I'm definitely a 2b/c. If I manipulate my hair enough and use certain curl enhancing product, I can get 3a/b hair in the winter, but that's only if I use/do those things. Therefore, my true natural curl pattern in the cold months is in the 2 range.

Anyway, that was my long-winded way of saying that if a perm is what you wanted, then I'm glad you went for it! :)
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    I think it looks fantastic!! It can so frustrating working with 2-something waves and not getting it "curly enough", so I say if this helps you and makes you happy, then mazel tov!! :iroc:
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fbalancedbeauty.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • qimissungqimissung Posts: 210Registered Users
    Good for you! I grew up in the 70's/80's and all I could get was the poodle perm! and my hair always broke off!!:toothy7:
    very fine 2a/3a, normal porosity & elasticity, finally going full CG!
    currently using: nbd F&S Therapy,Curl Magic, Chamomile Seaweed gel, Curl Magic cleansing conditioner, and Restoration Hair Repair.
  • wavechaserwavechaser Posts: 33Registered Users
    Thanks so much! I am having a lot of fun with it!:D:D:D:thumbright:

• Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    Yay for good results!!

I have gotten crown/front perms to even out my curl before. I find myself considering it again from time to time! You had such great results that it has me doing so again! My hair is 2c/3a, though, so maybe my results wouldn't look as natural.
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    That's great...if I had realized I could get a perm to shape my curls the way I want...I'd have done it years ago. Good for u!

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.