GAAAH!!!!

SammySingallySammySingally Posts: 131Registered Users
Okay! so I'm in Africa right now and like I needed to get a few hair products that are good for curly hair. So, there's this store that's said to be like the best here so I emailed them and asked for a list of the hair products they sell there. Okay! So, over half of the list were different brands of relaxers, next were hair dyes, then some straightening thingy, then all the things like shampoos (there are no sulphate free ones), conditioners...were all brands and types with harsh stuff in them and things that I so would not put on my hair. They had petroleum jelly on the list too. I mean, petroleum jelly is supposed to create a barrier on the skin so nothing goes in and so on, the Vaseline website did not even recommend putting their petroleum jelly on hair!
Why's this store like totally against curls?
Gaah!
I am yet to find a store here that actually has good hair products. I'm on my last bottle of conditioner and shampoo (though I don't use shampoo often. Only like once a month or once every two month, but still...). I'm going to be here till summer, I don't know of anyone going to the States and my bro's not coming down here again till like August (and by then, I'll be back in England).

Gaah! Why are stores like this?
Does anyone else have a problem like this?
Things I use: Olive Oil, Canola oil, rosemary oil, aloe vera gel, shea butter, mayonnaise, eggs, milk, bananas

Everything I use is 100% natural. I make most of them myself because then I'm sure what's in it and I'm sure nothing's added, it's pure, it's natural.

Things I avoid: Mineral oil (codename: Baby oil), heat (I'm a total, no hair driers, no straighteners, no curling irons, no flat irons, no hot combs...nada), sodium chloride

Growing plan: At least 6 inches longer in a year.

Comments

• CurleeLadeeTeeCurleeLadeeTee Posts: 108Registered Users
    Okay! so I'm in Africa right now and like I needed to get a few hair products that are good for curly hair. So, there's this store that's said to be like the best here so I emailed them and asked for a list of the hair products they sell there. Okay! So, over half of the list were different brands of relaxers, next were hair dyes, then some straightening thingy, then all the things like shampoos (there are no sulphate free ones), conditioners...were all brands and types with harsh stuff in them and things that I so would not put on my hair. They had petroleum jelly on the list too. I mean, petroleum jelly is supposed to create a barrier on the skin so nothing goes in and so on, the Vaseline website did not even recommend putting their petroleum jelly on hair!
    Why's this store like totally against curls?
    Gaah!
    I am yet to find a store here that actually has good hair products. I'm on my last bottle of conditioner and shampoo (though I don't use shampoo often. Only like once a month or once every two month, but still...). I'm going to be here till summer, I don't know of anyone going to the States and my bro's not coming down here again till like August (and by then, I'll be back in England).

Gaah! Why are stores like this?
    Does anyone else have a problem like this?
    OK, I'm a little confused. In your siggy, you state that you make most of the products that you use in your hair. Why do you need to buy manufactured hair products all of a sudden?

You list things like olive oil, mayonnaise, eggs, etc. which would be good as conditioners and I'm pretty sure you can find those things in Africa. You obviously have a computer where you are so it must not be too rural, can you not look up a cleanser recipe as well? Seems like all you need is a trip to the grocery store.
    Last Relaxer: June 6, 2009
    Big Chop: December 20, 2009
    Hair Type: ultra fine strands, ultra dense, high porosity
    Co-Wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Sealers: Castor Oil, Argan Oil, Coconut Oil
    DC: Tresemme Nat. w/ EVOO
    PT: Tresemme Nat. w/ EVOO and 1 eg
    Stylers: Eco Styler Olive Oil, Long Aid, Curlz Creme Brulee
    Clarifiers: KCCC
    Leave In: Still Experimenting!!:confused3:

Curls, coils, BDBs, and cuck-a-bucks--I have them all and I love them. . .because they're mine!:afro: :love5:
  • SammySingallySammySingally Posts: 131Registered Users
    I just needed basically shampoos and conditioners because I haven't really had the time to make mine. I'm looking for like organic and natural ones. I use eggs and mayo and most of those other things to make a DC. When I co-wash, I just want to have something natural I can use and that I don't need to make because I don't really have time to do that anymore apart from during the weekend when I just make a quick DC.

Plus, there's a riot and strike where I am now so like all stores are closed and the few nearby that do open, are open for only like 2 hours and like at random times.
    Things I use: Olive Oil, Canola oil, rosemary oil, aloe vera gel, shea butter, mayonnaise, eggs, milk, bananas

Everything I use is 100% natural. I make most of them myself because then I'm sure what's in it and I'm sure nothing's added, it's pure, it's natural.

Things I avoid: Mineral oil (codename: Baby oil), heat (I'm a total, no hair driers, no straighteners, no curling irons, no flat irons, no hot combs...nada), sodium chloride

• CurleeLadeeTeeCurleeLadeeTee Posts: 108Registered Users
    I'm sorry to hear that there's a riot going on where you are. I hope you are safe. Where are you getting your food and other necessities from?

You may have to just be strategic when you go out shopping. Make a list of "must haves" to make your concoctions (since it seems like that may be all that is available to you now) and email the stores to find out when they will be open. If there are other curlies around you, ask them what they are doing with their hair. Maybe you all can divvy up the responsibility of making products.
    Last Relaxer: June 6, 2009
    Big Chop: December 20, 2009
    Hair Type: ultra fine strands, ultra dense, high porosity
    Co-Wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Sealers: Castor Oil, Argan Oil, Coconut Oil
    DC: Tresemme Nat. w/ EVOO
    PT: Tresemme Nat. w/ EVOO and 1 eg
    Stylers: Eco Styler Olive Oil, Long Aid, Curlz Creme Brulee
    Clarifiers: KCCC
    Leave In: Still Experimenting!!:confused3:

Curls, coils, BDBs, and cuck-a-bucks--I have them all and I love them. . .because they're mine!:afro: :love5:
    All my curly friends here use things with harsh chemicals on their hair (I am yet to convince them to care for their hair better). One of the curlies I know just got a weave which she's been keeping in. I don't do weaves.

I'll just check out when a store opens and hopefully get there before they close.

Yeah, where I am is safe, but farther than here isn't. Seriously, we're running out of food here, but I think we should be able to manage till everything's okay and the stores are back open.

• GroYoFroGroYoFro Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I absolutely wish that I could be in Africa : )!! :salut:
    "Life is too short to keep your hair short"

Click here to visit - GRO YO FRO!
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm currently in Nigeria, and I don't bother with the hair shops. I just visit a regular supermarket that sell foreign stuff and buy from them ... Though its over priced.

The good thing is all the natural ingredients cost next to nothing (usually less than $1)

It's sad but if you really need a product,just order online.
    @ttlolla: Ohmigosh! you are a life saver! What supermarket do you go to to buy your hair stuff?
    Yeah, it's really sad. Plus, to make it even more sad, I can't order stuff online (I don't trust the shipping service thingy here. I got something sent down to me from England, and like someone had opened it up and taped it up terribly after tearing the packaging while opening it. That's not the first time that's happened).

*sigh*

And to answer what may be on your mind right now, I am currently in Nigeria too. :)

Oh! and like I happened to get to Goodies (in Victoria Island) at some point when they were on that 2-3 hours open thing (because of the strike) in the evening and like, I saw Garnier Fructis and some other things there and I must say, most of them were fake products. Starting from how the bottle looked, to the ingredients list on it (I had checked out the ingredients of those products online some days ago). Sodium chloride, parabens, silicones, harsh sulphates and all that were on like the first line of the ingredients list on the bottles I saw there. It was totally annoying because like, I could've just bought the bottle like that without checking the ingredients list. *sigh*

There's a store on....Admiralty Way/Road/don't know which it's called in Lekki. It's called err... Rennie's Supermarket, I think. I noticed that many things there were imported from England. There were like Sainsbury, Asda... things there. I was in a hurry and I was with someone so I couldn't get to the section where hair things are, but hopefully, I'll be able to check it out sometime and hopefully find good things there....hopefully.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file