My Eyes!

FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
Hi Gretchen & Michelle,

I see you guys have been busy making changes to the board and I really appreciate alll the effort you put into NC.com.

I would like to suggest that maybe you can somehow tone it down a little. the best way I can think of to describe the board is "BRIGHT" with a capital "B".

I'm finding it hard on the eyes actually.

Between the large colorful ads and the Brigt color scheme it's pretty overwhelming. It's very busy.

Just wondering why you changed the board. The old one was one of the most pleasant boards I frequented. The color scheme was almost soothing, it was easy to navigate and user friendly. Not sure why it needed to be changed...

Is there a way, an option available to somehow turn off all the extraneous stuff (like the formatting and the smilies and the poll stuff)?

Anyway, that's just some feedback from me personally.

-FreeCurls :)
[FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

Comments

• wavygirltoowavygirltoo Posts: 7Registered Users
    Again, I am agreeing with this post. I keep agreeing with all these comments, but not seeing much by way of answers from the board moderators. Hello? Is anyone listening?!?!

Our eyes hurt!

The page is too narrow! Can the ads be moved to one side?

The colors and flashing ads are very busy!
    2a/2b with a little 3a thrown in there; depending on length and whether or not color has stripped the curl :)
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    See my post on announcements. :D

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Thanks Gretchen! I read your post. I didn't even realize there was an "Announcements" board :oops:

:)
    2a/2b with a little 3a thrown in there; depending on length and whether or not color has stripped the curl :)
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    Thanks for your speedy response G.

I just went over to the announcements board and read your message. Sorry I didn't realize it was there earlier.

I understand about the Ads and I half figured as much. And I understand about the color scheme for consistency's sake but I think that honestly in this area, I ( as a patron of this site) wouldn't hold it against NC.com if the message board area at least was it's own beast. Hey variety is the spice fof life, right!

Seriously, these colors are out of control. just wanted to voice that.

-FC

• Oliver TwistOliver Twist Posts: 11Registered Users
    Maybe by changing the message board colors from bright orange to greens, greys and light/muted blues it would be more soothing to the eye and help offset the bright and flashy advertisments.
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    I was doing some more surfing. Maybe if the Text weren't orange. It's hard to see really, not just because of the glow, but there's not enough of a contrast between the gray background and the orange letters. The letters aren't crisp enough so it's really a strain on the eyes to see. Maybe if the text were black on the thread headers and the usernames etc. with orange accents maybe?

I'm really not trying to be difficult. I'm sincerely making these suggestions and comments.

thx

Thanks again, y'all. We're taking everything into consideration. Now, I must attend to yelling twins apparently tired of napping! (Sigh; there goes my few moments of peace!) :)

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    We've just changed the body type to black sted brown.

Hope that's easier for you to see!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • naturaltnaturalt Posts: 175Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Gretchen, the black is much easier to read, thank you! I think if you change the background of the thread table, things will also be a lot easier to read. The #FEF9DC yellow color that we used to have was much easier on the eyes and I don't think it would look too bad with this new color scheme. Even that background color you are using in the search box in the upper right would be easier on the eyes than the stark white.

Black on white is the highest contrast and therefore most readable which is why most printed docs are in that color scheme. However, we are looking at monitors and looking at that bright white light for minutes or hours on end will give you a headache. Just change your computer wallpaper from whatever picture you have or whatever color you have to WHITE. It will drive you nuts. I think this is what people are experiencing.

Look at the regulars who are telling you how hard the site is to read. Look at the people who are telling you that they will visit the site less frequently. With this one change (color scheme change) you will solve so many of these complaints. I understand why you've moved the ads. Now you need to change the color scheme of at least just the thread table so that you keep the people who will be looking at those ads.

(no rush! I just wanted to give my 2 cents for when you have a chance to address it :) )
    cloud9.gif
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    naturalt wrote:
    Gretchen, the black is much easier to read, thank you! I think if you change the background of the thread table, things will also be a lot easier to read. The #FEF9DC yellow color that we used to have was much easier on the eyes and I don't think it would look too bad with this new color scheme. Even that background color you are using in the search box in the upper right would be easier on the eyes than the stark white.

Black on white is the highest contrast and therefore most readable which is why most printed docs are in that color scheme. However, we are looking at monitors and looking at that bright white light for minutes or hours on end will give you a headache. Just change your computer wallpaper from whatever picture you have or whatever color you have to WHITE. It will drive you nuts. I think this is what people are experiencing.

Look at the regulars who are telling you how hard the site is to read. Look at the people who are telling you that they will visit the site less frequently. With this one change (color scheme change) you will solve so many of these complaints. I understand why you've moved the ads. Now you need to change the color scheme of at least just the thread table so that you keep the people who will be looking at those ads.

(no rush! I just wanted to give my 2 cents for when you have a chance to address it :) )

I agree-the color on the listings is still painful.

I think people are noticing the ads more, too, because of the names on the sides. I'm guessing this is so avatars are possible? The side effect of that is that the text is even narrower. This doesn't really bother me, though, like the colors do.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    naturalt wrote:
    ...Even that background color you are using in the search box in the upper right would be easier on the eyes than the stark white...

...we are looking at monitors and looking at that bright white light for minutes or hours on end will give you a headache...

...you need to change the color scheme of at least just the thread table so that you keep the people who will be looking at those ads...

DITTO!!
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    G and M - I hope you are able to implement some of the changes suggested on this thread. While I am able to read the board now as opposed to the first couple of days, it is extremely hard on the eyes. And since my profession (and new commute) is so demanding on my vision, I just can't conscience the visual assault here too.

I also read your statement on the board changes on the announcements board. Thanks for posting that. I still miss the old board and don't come here nearly as often. But I will continue to check in periodically, just to see if things continue to change for the better.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    naturalt wrote:
    ...Even that background color you are using in the search box in the upper right would be easier on the eyes than the stark white...

...we are looking at monitors and looking at that bright white light for minutes or hours on end will give you a headache...

...you need to change the color scheme of at least just the thread table so that you keep the people who will be looking at those ads...

DITTO!!
    double ditto! I think the search box color would work well. And an increase in the font size would help. Has there been any news on this?
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file