Thinking about a dip dye?

LeeeahLeeeah Posts: 58Registered Users
Hey there.. I'm 16 and I've been kind of bored with my hair lately. It's pretty much 2b/2c (though it has been less curly these days..I think it's just hormonal. It was never curly until I turned like 12, and now it's kind of backing off) and it's between APL and BSL when natural.
I usually just highlight and lowlight my natural color (darkish blonde), so it's a medium blonde with some dimension. I've been wanting to dip dye with a soft pink/peach color like this picture http://www.primped.com.au/blogs/blush-hour/hit-or-miss-lauren-conrads-peach-coloured-dip-dyed-ends/attachment/laurenconrad-6
Any tips for this so it doesn't damage my hair too much? Other color suggestions? What hairdye should I use? Anything else?

Comments

• CurlyQTPieCurlyQTPie Posts: 447Registered Users
    There is no picture but I've seen one of Lauren Conrad with pale peach tips and thinks it looks AWESOME! If your hair is light and you don't need to bleach it, I'd imagine that it would not be that damaging. I'd go to a professional to do it though, but that's just me.
    3B with some 3a. Fell off but am now back on the CG bandwagon and looking for my HG products.
  • LeeeahLeeeah Posts: 58Registered Users
    Oopss the picture didn't work. It was of Lauren Conrad though! You read my mind! My mom went to school for cosmetology,so we generally do my color at home. I can't afford going to a salon right noww :P. I'll see if I can find a peachy pink color at a store and then I'll do it at home. If it doesn't turn out, I can always use color oops. Anyone else have tips for doing it at home?

My other question was, would it look tacky for prom? I'm a sophomore attendant and I have to wear a formal black dress..
  • ChellzCurlzChellzCurlz Posts: 4Registered Users
    Try this it isn't permanent it washes out after a couple of washes and you could do multiple colors for cheap.

http://www.seventeen.com/fashion/blog/hair-chalking
    I did it today! I dyed with food coloring and I really like the results. I'll post a picture maybe tomorrow or so.. If anyone else was curious as to how I did it: HOW TO: DIP DYE YOUR HAIR WITH FOOD COLOURING!! EASY HAIR TUTORIAL! - YouTube

It'll wash out in a week or two though. I may have to dye it like this permanently :love10:
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    Is the food coloring damaging in any way? I'm interested!
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
    I don't think it's damaging, I mixed it with conditioner so my hair turned out softer than it was before. I am not CG though, so I don't know if it would leave build up or anything. If you hair is dark though, you would probably have to leave it in overnight for it to leave any sort of color, and I don't know if it would even work then. My hair is blonde so I left it in for an hour with very good results. It was nice for me to figure out that I liked it before committing to the color for 6 weeks or whatever. I did end up dying it semi permanently tonight! :)
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    Thanks for the response! I might give it a try. Maybe with blue or sonething :) My hair is dark, so we'll see if it works at all haha
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • TriMixDivaTriMixDiva Posts: 255Registered Users
    Come back and post a pic please! I LOVE this on her. I was skeptical when I fist read the title but it doesn't look crazy like I thought. Looks really soft and beautiful but slightly edgy. I'm digging the dipped dye thing and whats awesome is once your bored of it just get a trim lol.
    TYPE: 3C
    Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
    High Density, Medium Porosity
    Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
    Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
    Doing what I want when I want!
  • TriMixDivaTriMixDiva Posts: 255Registered Users
    What colors do you think will look good dipped died on dark curly hair??
    TYPE: 3C
    Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
    High Density, Medium Porosity
    Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
    Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
    Doing what I want when I want!
    TriMixDiva wrote: »
    Come back and post a pic please! I LOVE this on her. I was skeptical when I fist read the title but it doesn't look crazy like I thought. Looks really soft and beautiful but slightly edgy. I'm digging the dipped dye thing and whats awesome is once your bored of it just get a trim lol.

I would post a pic of the dip dye, but I already dyed over it with semi permanently color (Nrage bubblegum pink, if anyone was curious). I'm working on getting a picture of how it is now.. I'm just waiting for a good hair day. On dark hair, I would suggest blue, teal or purple. The problem is getting it to show through your dark color. You would have to leave the color in overnight, and what the girl in the video doesn't say is that it is VERY VERY messy. As soon as you get it on your ends, put a plastic bag on your head or something. I got pink food coloring everywhere, and it stains much worse than actual dye. Another thing to be careful of is that I am not CG, and I don't know how these products would affect your routine or if you would have to shampoo out the color.
  • bklyn_bellebklyn_belle Posts: 423Registered Users
    I dip-dyed my hair purple and it came out dark. I bleached it first but the stupid mistake I made was I put a dark purple over the bleach which defeat the purpose of a vibrant dip dye lol. So I am trying to do it again...its been a month.
    Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
    Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
    Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
    Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: http://www.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file