The proper way to co-wash

Nikki3bNikki3b Registered Users Posts: 327
Suggestions on how to thoroughly remove build-up without having to scrub for minutes at a time. Maybe I'm doing it wrong :(

Comments

• wednesdaywednesday Registered Users Posts: 53
    Sometimes, if you have the right lowpoo, shampoo isn't always a bad thing.

I last 10 days without shampoo, just cowashing, and finally washed my hair. I thought cowashing got it all until I scrubbed away all the build-up! Now, I use a leave-in conditioner as a cowash because it's a light and an all natural low poo made for curly hair once a week. That way, it's not stripping, but it gets rid of greasy/gunky build-up that is actually worse for your hair than shampooing...

I'm using the Beautiful Curls line by Allafia, and it's great! I also heard Suave Naturals Coconut is a good cowash. Good luck!
    -Straight hair until 4/11
    -Started CG 12/26/11

Co-wash/RO/LI: Beautiful Curls Leave-In Conditioner for Wavy to Curly Hair
    Gel: Beautiful Curls Hair Gel

Routine...
    -cowash/condition/leave-in condition
    -comb hair
    -supersoak and apply KCCC
    -plop for 15-20 min
    -plop a pineapple overnight
    -just pineapple for second day hair

Short 2b and growing out!
    Thanks for reading :)
  • Nikki3bNikki3b Registered Users Posts: 327
    Thank you. I may try that. I'm off to target. I'm sure I can find a no sulfate shampoo :)
  • emilyscurlsemilyscurls Registered Users Posts: 21
    I've been using DevaCurl No Poo to cleanse my scalp. Today I used Garnier Nutrisse Triple Nutrition Conditioner to Cleanse.

I apply the cleanser to the tips of my fingers and make sure my hair is soaking wet. Then I start at my temples and massage the cleanser into my scalp. I use a pretty decent amount of pressure while I massage and try and cover my whole scalp with cleanser. I apply more conditioner to my fingers and then massage the skin on the back of my head going up towards the top. Once I feel like I've covered all the skin on my head I rinse, letting the product rinse through my hair. I've found that this works really well for me. :) I don't think there's a particular right way to wash/condition or any products that are right or wrong, cause everyone's hair is different, plus we all have different climates and lifestyles that affect our hair. Good look finding what works for you!
    3A/3B Low Porosity, High Density (I Think.)

Currently:
    Low Poo (Once a Week): JC HCC
    Co-Wash/RO/LI: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner
    Styling: La Looks Mega Mega Hold Gel; GF Pure Clean Gel
    SOTC: JC Oil Blend for Softer Hair

Experimenting with diffusing, plopping, and pineappling.

Looking for a good DT and products with water soluble cones.
  • artemis513artemis513 Registered Users Posts: 666 Curl Neophyte
    I feel like if one does co-wash, it is important to realize the trade-offs. Being that the surfactants are so mild in comparison to shampoos, you do really have to spend a bit more time with the pads of your fingers going over your scalp to get the build-up off. With a low-poo or regular poo, you should still use the pads of your fingers to massage the scalp to remove build up, but not for as long a time. I agree with the poster who said that if you find the right shampoo/low-poo formulation for your needs, it'll be a balanced experience.

I think of cleansing my scalp in the same terms as cleansing my face. If my face has tons of makeup on and dirt from a long day, I am not going to use like a mild creamy cleanser and expect it to get everything off in one go. If I want to use that cleanser I am going to have to make some adjustments (eg, using it twice and really working it into my skin each time, or using a makeup remover beforehand). Likewise, if I don't wear any makeup that day, there's is no reason for me to use a heavy-duty makeup remover and my regular cleanser. So looking at it like that helps me figure out whether I need to use a cleansing conditioner or a low-poo and how frequent I should use either.

HTH
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • Nikki3bNikki3b Registered Users Posts: 327
    Yeah, this cg thing has proven to be a lil difficult for me. I have lil patients lol. But I really want to stick this whole thing out. I've never really had an issue with my hair being dry from using regular shampoos but Im willing to try anything that will make my hair better. Aside from the co washing which takes forever in my opinion, this cg busines has turned my into a curly product hoarder. I just want to buy and try everything. My pockets hurt from all this :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file