foundation/primer recs

curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
I'm looking for a new foundation and/or primer. I recently returned to wearing makeup more often and am having fun playing with eyeshadows and such. I've also noticed a few things about my skin. For one, I have oilier skin that I thought. I have always had trouble with foundation "disappearing" soon after I apply it. It doesn't take long to look like I don't have any on. I tried Phoenix's suggestion of using Milk of Magnesia as a primer and that has helped a lot. What is hasn't helped is the appearance of the large pores I just started realizing I have and my uneven skin tone. I am also noticing that the wrinkles around my eyes and on my forehead are more pronounced than I thought :pale:. I guess that's what I get for coming up on 46!

So, I need a foundation that will:
1. Work with mostly oily skin with drier areas around the eyes
2. Fully cover and even out my skin tone (with pink undertones and malasma)
3. provide SPF (ideally, otherwise I'll use one under it)

Any suggestions would be welcome! I'm even willing to splurge a little on something that will be good for my skin.

TIA!

Kerri
2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,680Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    don't depend on foundation for sunscreen - always wear them separately.

the Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel has all the same ingredients as the expensive primers, but only costs a couple of dollars a tube.

fine lines respond well to retinol - ask your doctor for a prescription and remember to wear big dark sunglasses regularly - i wear sunglasses on those "cloudy-bright" days too. i'm 51 and don't have crow's feet.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    sunscreen- wear it separately. it's difficult to get adequate spf coverage with foundation. CeraVe's AM cream has spf 30

Primer- monistat anti-chafing gel; laura geller's spackle, bare escentuals prime time, Tarte's Clean Slate, Mally Beauty's primer

eyeshadow primer- elf, paula dorf, Mally's primer is nice, a little dark for me tho.

oiliness- have you tried a mattifyer? Paula's Choice sells one.
    Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish with Microsponge® Technology - Limited Time Offers - 20-50% Off: Paula's Choice Skin Care & Cosmetics

wrinkles- retin-a (I buy Renova overseas- much cheaper than buying it thru my pharmacy) or start with retinol which you can buy in products at the drugstore. BHA to exfoliate, Antioxidants to reduce environmental damage.
    Skin Aging & Wrinkles: Dealing with Sun Damage & Collagen Destruction : Cosmetics Cop: Skin Care & Makeup Tips & Reviews

Paula Begoun has a lot of info about skincare. I use several of her products and really like them. Her 2% BHA is really nice.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Benefit's Porefessional gets good reviews.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    I got the MAC Prep + Prime primer and Matchmaster foundation today. We'll see how they work. I still want to compare the primer to the Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel. Does it help keep oiliness at bay?

Kerri
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)

mod CG since August 2010
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    curlyserf wrote: »
    I got the MAC Prep + Prime primer and Matchmaster foundation today. We'll see how they work. I still want to compare the primer to the Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel. Does it help keep oiliness at bay?
    Waiting for the answer to this one. I like my Milk of Magnesia, but this Monistat option is more portable.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've had luck reducing the size of my large pores with the Neutrogena Deep Clean Long-Last Shine Control line. I've tried several things for it, they worked, but for only a very limited time. That night or the next morning my skin looked as bad as ever. But this line has had a lasting effect on me. Even when I slack it doesn't look that bad. My pores are still visible but it's not nearly as bad as it was.
    sagehen wrote: »
    curlyserf wrote: »
    Waiting for the answer to this one. I like my Milk of Magnesia, but this Monistat option is more portable.

I tried the Monistat today to compare it to the Prep + Prime and the Prep + Prime Refine Zone primers I got at MAC. They were pretty similar, but I have to say that the MAC ones help control the oil a little better and my makeup stayed on better with them than the Monistat. I think the Monistat would be a great option for someone who doesn't have oily skin or need a full coverage foundation to last. It really is very similar in texture as the MAC ones and the Studio Gear that I have tried. I definitely like it better than the Milk of Magnesia. The MoM seemed to accentuate lines and wrinkles on me more than the MAC primers or Monistat.

Kerri
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:

mod CG since August 2010
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    Another option if you decide you don't like the Mac primer is Clinique Pore Minimizer. It controls oil pretty well and does better than regular primer for making pores appear smaller. The difference is that you don't put it everywhere, like you do with regular primer.

If you have dry skin around your eyes and oil everywhere else, try using an under-eye cream followed by a creamy concealer, instead of foundation. Set with translucent powder.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to check it out. The second primer I have from MAC (Prep + Prime Refine Zone) only goes on the oily parts and really seems to help, but I still have the large pores.

Kerri
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:

mod CG since August 2010
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Here's a technique to hide pores. I saw the vid and thought of this thread: HOW TO: MAKE PORES DISAPPEAR IN SECONDS - GOOD FOR ACNE PRONE SKIN! - YouTube
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Here's a technique to hide pores. I saw the vid and thought of this thread: HOW TO: MAKE PORES DISAPPEAR IN SECONDS - GOOD FOR ACNE PRONE SKIN! - YouTube

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Kerri
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:

mod CG since August 2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file