Curly Girl's Labratories, what d 'ya got?

Hi Curly Girls,

Just wondering what is in your curly labratories? Here is what I have in mine.
    aloe vera, edible aloe vera, external distilled water Apple Cider Vinegar fresh lemons jojoba oil jasmine oil, pure lavender oil, pure vegetable glycerine olive oil, virgen pressed shea butter coconut milk, canned Baking Soda Rinse Homeade Hair Gel Spray Lavender Spray
Store bought
Herbal Essence Body Envy Weightless Volumizing Gel
Aussie Stong Hold Mega Gel

Suave Conditioners
Citrus Smoothie
Berry Smoothie
other various

Vo5 Conditioners
Blueberry Bramble
Tangerine Tickle
Blushing Apple- gentle cleansing

Various Syling Products
Fructis Garnier Sleek and Shine Conditioning Creme
Fructis Garnier Sleek and Shine Creme

I find that the Herbal Essence gel dries my hair too much and have read that either you may have to much PVP, or PVA depending on your climate. I am in the process of changing condish washers so to be continued. Have nice definition. I have not paid close attn. to my condishes, but am now using Nature's Gate Herbal, love it. Need to tweak my co-wash routine, but every little step..........................
3B, CG,Corkscrew
Xtramoist shampoo, Fastfood leave on, Recoil, varnish Gel-Herbal Essances, Totally Twisted
Irish-American Curly
Never try to be something you are not, and never be afraid to be who you are.
RedheadCurly

Comments

• HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    Since I have so much stuff, I'm only going to list the ingredients that qualify for the "curly laboratory":

FOTE aloe vera
    Flax seeds
    Distilled water
    Epsom Salt
    ACV
    Minute Maid Lemon Juice from frozen foods section (normally I have fresh limes)
    Baking Soda
    Coconut milk (not for hair use though...)
    Raw honey

Medimix Coconut Oil w/herbs (Indian)
    Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    Jojoba Oil (Vitamin Shoppe brand)
    EVOO (but haven't used in hair/skin recipes yet...)
    Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil
    1 stick of cocoa butter
    Vit. E and Evening Primrose Oil capsules

Essential oils of: clary sage, eucalyptus, lavender, lemon, orange, peppermint, rosemary, tea tree, white camphor & ylang-ylang.

I have in my fridge the remainder of a "batch" of flax seed gel made w/Epsom salt , EPO, JO, vit. E & lavender oil, and on my dresser a small jar of a deodorant cream I made using mainly baking soda, magnesium hydroxide (Milk of Magnesia) EVCO & essential oils (but sort of ruined it by excess "tweaking", :lol:).
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • RedheadCurly2007RedheadCurly2007 Registered Users Posts: 230
    Halfwavy- Thanks a lot for the response. I am saddened by the slowness of this thread, awww :cry: So you have quite a lab there. What do you use the flax seeds, and oil for?? Fill me in, give me the scoop. I love epsom salt once in a while it gives me lift.

I find my curls are doing much better. I am co-washing with Nature's Gate, only about twice a week a scrub when necessary, and using clips now to lift the roots. The reason lots of my curls were not so curly was due to weight. My curls are course and thick, too heavy I guess. So I am now getting to curl heaven. Thanks, this is just a blast.

I recently made a nice aloe vera spray and sprayed the heck out of my curls a few times before co washing, great humectants, and conditioning. My hair drank it up. Smile

Red
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Xtramoist shampoo, Fastfood leave on, Recoil, varnish Gel-Herbal Essances, Totally Twisted
    Irish-American Curly
    RedheadCurly
  • KaterinaKaterina Registered Users Posts: 117
    Since I have so much stuff, I'm only going to list the ingredients that qualify for the "curly laboratory":

FOTE aloe vera
    Flax seeds
    Distilled water
    Epsom Salt
    ACV
    Minute Maid Lemon Juice from frozen foods section (normally I have fresh limes)
    Baking Soda
    Coconut milk (not for hair use though...)
    Raw honey

Medimix Coconut Oil w/herbs (Indian)
    Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    Jojoba Oil (Vitamin Shoppe brand)
    EVOO (but haven't used in hair/skin recipes yet...)
    Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil
    1 stick of cocoa butter
    Vit. E and Evening Primrose Oil capsules

Essential oils of: clary sage, eucalyptus, lavender, lemon, orange, peppermint, rosemary, tea tree, white camphor & ylang-ylang.

I have in my fridge the remainder of a "batch" of flax seed gel made w/Epsom salt , EPO, JO, vit. E & lavender oil, and on my dresser a small jar of a deodorant cream I made using mainly baking soda, magnesium hydroxide (Milk of Magnesia) EVCO & essential oils (but sort of ruined it by excess "tweaking", :lol:).

I hope to start soon to getting into the "CG Labs" myself. ( looking for that white lab coat. Now, where did I put it? :lol::wink: )

Seriously............about that flax seed. Is it ok to use milled flax seed? Wal-Mart has that kind and I'm just not ready yet to go back to the big, huge, confusing health food store. It was a nightmare for me. I never went to a place where each brand has its own aisle! YIKES. Could be that it's just so new for me. When our Wal-Mart remodeled where I used to live in GA, I got that same feeling of being overwhelmed.

At any rate, will milled flax seed work for these purposes, or does it need to be whole and unmilled seed?

And right now, though not yet using, I have had in the wings ( because I wanted to get into homemade even before I joined the nc web site)

EVOO
    baking soda
    tea tree oil
    ACV
    reconstituted lemon juice
    raw honey
    FOTE AV gel ( a recent, serendipitous find, actually)
    evening primrose capsules (?? might have)

This is not a lot, but it's a start. This former teacher needs SOME kind of hands-on project to keep her occupied!!!
    fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.
    Katerina- I do not know much about flax but heard flax seed oil is good for the hair. I would rather ingest it somehow, but we will wait for a response.

You are funny about the lab coat. Somehow that song "Blinded Me With Science" comes to mind, he he.

Good luck with your lab, I know I have so much fun.
    Red
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Irish-American Curly
    RedheadCurly
    Re: Flax seeds - you must use the whole unmilled seeds, if you used the milled ones you'd NEVER be able to strain the stuff out of the gel, in fact it would probably absorb most of the water and cook like a hot cereal, which by the way, is a recommended use when consuming internally.

I've never used more than 2 Tbsp. of seeds in mine but I suppose more can be used. The trick is not simmer them for more than 2 or maybe 3 mins. tops and to strain immediately. I say this because a lot of recipes I found online say to allow to cool and by then the goo is so thick it can't go through the strainer. I just allow the strained gel to cool before I add vit. E and essential oil. I haven't tried adding the Epsom salt directly, I dissolved it in a little bit of warm distilled water and add it to the gel but I suppose that it could be done while the gel is still hot or at least warm and then it should be stirred well to dissolve.

As for flax seed oil, yes, it's very good taken internally for people with dry hair, and has the added advantage of being anti-cancer. I read someplace that when eating the seeds it's better to lightly toast them before grinding because there's a substance in the raw seeds that if consumed for a long time it could cause liver damage so I put mine in a tin foil tray in the toaster oven at 300°F for 5-6 mins., stirring once for even toasting and when they cool off I grind them in a small coffee grinder. A few months ago I bought a box of the milled one from Wal-mart as a back-up because sometimes I can't make it to the health food store to get the whole seeds.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

Katerina- I do not know much about flax but heard flax seed oil is good for the hair. I would rather ingest it somehow, but we will wait for a response.

You are funny about the lab coat. Somehow that song "Blinded Me With Science" comes to mind, he he.

Good luck with your lab, I know I have so much fun.
    Red

TY, tyvm! :D:lol:

I can't figure out what was making me do that....I'm glad I was in that mood, though. It served me very, very well for an extremely stressful situation that developed with my son later last night ( I have a post in the non-hair board about my son, who has reactive attachment disorder, or RAD. (www.radkid.org for more info). It kept me rather laid-back and calmed. As the saying goes about laughter......it's the best medicine. I guess I was "pre-dosing"!

As for the flax oil.......hm. I didn't even think about taking it internally. I was thinking more about using it for the gel, but your point about internal usage is well-taken.

For taking it internally, I guess I'm thinking add it to smoothies, cereal or yogurt? I've added it to juice, but that is just nasty to me.

I"m just resuming my interest after 11 years. Widowhood, being a single mom and no mentor in the natural foods interest kind of delayed my devloping that interest, but I'm now in a place in my life where I can resume developing what was started years ago.
    fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.
    Re: Flax seeds - you must use the whole unmilled seeds, if you used the milled ones you'd NEVER be able to strain the stuff out of the gel, in fact it would probably absorb most of the water and cook like a hot cereal, which by the way, is a recommended use when consuming internally.

I've never used more than 2 Tbsp. of seeds in mine but I suppose more can be used. The trick is not simmer them for more than 2 or maybe 3 mins. tops and to strain immediately. I say this because a lot of recipes I found online say to allow to cool and by then the goo is so thick it can't go through the strainer. I just allow the strained gel to cool before I add vit. E and essential oil. I haven't tried adding the Epsom salt directly, I dissolved it in a little bit of warm distilled water and add it to the gel but I suppose that it could be done while the gel is still hot or at least warm and then it should be stirred well to dissolve.

As for flax seed oil, yes, it's very good taken internally for people with dry hair, and has the added advantage of being anti-cancer. I read someplace that when eating the seeds it's better to lightly toast them before grinding because there's a substance in the raw seeds that if consumed for a long time it could cause liver damage so I put mine in a tin foil tray in the toaster oven at 300°F for 5-6 mins., stirring once for even toasting and when they cool off I grind them in a small coffee grinder. A few months ago I bought a box of the milled one from Wal-mart as a back-up because sometimes I can't make it to the health food store to get the whole seeds.

Thanks. :D I didn't think about the milled seed absorbing, but that makes a lot of sense.

I realized that I might have to put off experimenting until I've given the CG more time. This week is the first week I've actually been truly CG. This week it's FOTE AV gel and the VO5 Tea Therapy conditioner in chamomile.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    For hair -

honey
    vinegar
    coffee
    tea
    herbs
    aloe vera gel
    Africa's Best Herbal oil
    Ojon Hair Treatment
    Suave, VO5, Back to Basics conditioners (7 different flavors at the moment)
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Rockin-Ringlets-Styling-Potion-p-100.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-rockin-ringlets]Jessicurl Rockin Ringlets[/buylink] & [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]confident Coils[/buylink]
    LA Looks Sport gel

For face, body -

castor oil
    jojoba oil
    aloe vera gel
    baking soda
    black soap
    shea butter moisturizer
    epsom salts
    powdered milk
    herbs
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • tinabcurlytinabcurly Registered Users Posts: 545
    glad I'm not the only mad scientist around...

For my hair:
    olive oil (for cooking too)
    coconut oil
    coconut milk (for cooking too)
    glycerin
    honey
    epsom salts

flax seed
    ACV
    EOs

Plus for skin:
    powdered milk
    almond oil
    avocado oil
    grapeseed oil (for cooking too)
    castor oil
    baking soda

Most of it is in the cabinet in my bathroom :oops: I think I need help. I can't possibly use all of this up before it goes bad.
    3a/b mix
    pw:curlyqs
    Jeppcurly- thanks for sharing with us what is in your lab. It is nice to know, and helps us all in the curly dept.. :)

Halfwavy- Thanks a million for all the infomration on flax seeds. You are a wealth of information. I will keep the toasting lightly in mind. I usually put it in my oatmeal when I make it, I grind it first, so that will be helpful. One day I may venture out and make that gel.

Katerina- Thanks for the info. you shared too. I hope things start getting a little better for you. I am sorry you have gone through the difficulties you have, good for you for getting back into the healh of it all. I am finally back to my yoga after about 8 years, I had gained a lot of weight, went through a sad break up, and lost my Dad, but I am looking toward the future and it will be lived to the fullest and I will experience joy. By the way, I lost the weight.

Tinabcurly- We all have issues here with our labs, LOL. Thanks for letting us know what is in yours. Yes, I have to be especially careful with the oils, or carrier oils as they have shelf lives. Have you tried the coconut milk? I have a can in my cupboard but have not tried it yet, I want to for sure.

Tongiht I added Shine Happy to my hair and will let you all know how it turns out tomorrow. Take care.
    Red
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Irish-American Curly
    RedheadCurly
    Katerina:

As a person well acquainted with the loss of loved ones and a "veteran" of single-motherhood, I feel for you and want to extend my sympathy for the untimely loss of your husband and the difficulties you must face as the parent of a "rad" child. If you'd like to have a "mentor" where holistic nutrition is concerned I'll be glad to help. Btw, adding the flax oil to the foods you mentioned that could work, those are really good ways to add the ground seeds too. I used to take the oil but I read not everyone can benefit as much from it as from fish oils. If you take it make sure to get the refrigerated one because it has a short shelf life; I once got one that apparently wasn't very fresh and I guess I didn't start it right away either, by the time I got to it it tasted a little bitter but since I didn't know how it was supposed to taste I just wished I'd gotten capsules, well, the older it got the worst it tasted so threw it away, then I read more about it and bought the right type and it didn't really have much of a taste so I added it to my salads or took it straight up from the spoon.

I use the ground seeds because it's a great way to get extra fiber, especially for my hypothyroidism induced constipation...:roll: I mix a couple of tbsp. with a few ounces of light cranberry juice and water, I got this idea from a magazine summary of a liver cleansing diet. Most of the time I also add about 1/2 tsp. milk thistle (for liver support) and 1 (or more) of granulated lecithin (for my poor tired brain and to keep cholesterol down). Oops, I just noticed I've gotten carried away with this subject... sorry!

RedheadCurly2007:

You flatter me girl, :) but I hope no one thinks I like to show off 'cause what I really love is to share useful things I've learned, sometimes I think I'd really enjoy being a teacher of something becaise even though I've always loved to read, learn new things and even "investigate" the why of many things, I feel there isn't much use in just accumulating miscellaneous knowledge to keep it to myself. I personally feel really grateful to those people way smarter than me who figured out things I'd never could've even thought about and were generous enough to put it all down in a book using language I could understand.

Btw, what's the "Shine Happy"?

On a separate note, during the weekend I discovered that I still had in a drawer an old bottle of glycerin, there isn't much left and it's not the "good" vegetable kind, I remember I got this one at Walgreen's and used to add it to my body and facial washes. Now that I've heard it causes artificial color fading I don't think I will add it to any of my hair products, I have enough fading issues already as it is!

Katerina:

As a person well acquainted with the loss of loved ones and a "veteran" of single-motherhood, I feel for you and want to extend my sympathy for the untimely loss of your husband and the difficulties you must face as the parent of a "rad" child. If you'd like to have a "mentor" where holistic nutrition is concerned I'll be glad to help. Btw, adding the flax oil to the foods you mentioned that could work, those are really good ways to add the ground seeds too. I used to take the oil but I read not everyone can benefit as much from it as from fish oils. If you take it make sure to get the refrigerated one because it has a short shelf life; I once got one that apparently wasn't very fresh and I guess I didn't start it right away either, by the time I got to it it tasted a little bitter but since I didn't know how it was supposed to taste I just wished I'd gotten capsules, well, the older it got the worst it tasted so threw it away, then I read more about it and bought the right type and it didn't really have much of a taste so I added it to my salads or took it straight up from the spoon.

I use the ground seeds because it's a great way to get extra fiber, especially for my hypothyroidism induced constipation...:roll: I mix a couple of tbsp. with a few ounces of light cranberry juice and water, I got this idea from a magazine summary of a liver cleansing diet. Most of the time I also add about 1/2 tsp. milk thistle (for liver support) and 1 (or more) of granulated lecithin (for my poor tired brain and to keep cholesterol down). Oops, I just noticed I've gotten carried away with this subject... sorry!

RedheadCurly2007:

You flatter me girl, :) but I hope no one thinks I like to show off 'cause what I really love is to share useful things I've learned, sometimes I think I'd really enjoy being a teacher of something becaise even though I've always loved to read, learn new things and even "investigate" the why of many things, I feel there isn't much use in just accumulating miscellaneous knowledge to keep it to myself. I personally feel really grateful to those people way smarter than me who figured out things I'd never could've even thought about and were generous enough to put it all down in a book using language I could understand.

Btw, what's the "Shine Happy"?

On a separate note, during the weekend I discovered that I still had in a drawer an old bottle of glycerin, there isn't much left and it's not the "good" vegetable kind, I remember I got this one at Walgreen's and used to add it to my body and facial washes. Now that I've heard it causes artificial color fading I don't think I will add it to any of my hair products, I have enough fading issues already as it is!

HalfWavy, thanks. I will likely take you up on your offer as time goes by. When you read me write about my son, he's my step-son. I remarried in June 2006. Moving to OK brought to the front many issues that had gone either undetected or were being improperly treated. My new husband also lost his wife. That happened when my son ( his son, really) was not yet 5. When I moved to OK, I asked his counselor for a neurology work-up, as his mom had taken so very many meds when she was yet alive. I wanted to ascertain that none of his issues were related to meds she'd taken. So often, his actions reminded of crack children with whom I used to work, so I asked my husband to request a neurology work-up. That completed, the person who did the work-up diagnosed the RAD, and here we are. So, I have a new husband, a new son and the new son has a new diagnosis of RAD. New home in a new state. Well, on the bright side, I've had some absolutely lovely hair days here in OK! :D

Tea tree oil.... I used to use this as a lice deterrent last year in Suave coconut conditioner. With my fine, wavy hair that likes to be oily at the roots right now and still have dandruff......would tea tree oil work as a cleanser in the conditioner? I haven't tried that, but I'm beginning to think that maybe this is so?

Redheadcurly, thanks for the encouragement too. Did you find that yoga aided in your weight loss? I have a yoga tape and consider trying it.
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I feel so deficient! :lol: The only "non-traditional" things I have for my hair are honey and ACV. I did a lemon-aid once, butit didn't do a whole lot and I'm too lazy to squeeze lemons. :oops: I won't list all the hair products I have. One, I won't remember tham all, and two, I'm embarrassed to admit to my PJ'ism.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    I'm deficient too. I have .......
    jojoba oil
    peach kernel oil
    baking soda
    epson salt

and of course anything that's in the kitchen that I want to use that day
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    Lets see, I have

baking soda
    acv
    aloe vera
    shea butter
    coconut oil
    jojoba oil
    lavender oil (for spritzer)
    coconut milk
    flax seeds
    honey
    epsom salts
    evoo

Tons of conditioners and gels, random mix :)

I think that's about it!
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
    Halfwavy- in no way did I get the impression that you were a show off. There were no indications of pompousness, or anything like that. I am like you too, I love to learn and love to teach people about the things I learn. My family has always teased me about being a bookworm, of course my brother and Dad were bookworms too. Keep the info coming, I love it.

Katerina- I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost many people to death in my life, but never a spouse. I am sure it breaks your heart. I hope that one day at a time you are able to come to grips with it and you and your husband can find true happiness, as well as your (step) son.

As for the yoga. I was so overweight it was really hard to do the yoga poses, but now that I have lost a tremendous amount I am able to do much more and it is so enjoyable and brings peace, and calm to my heart. I also listen to East Indian prayer music which is serene.

Teela and everyone- Thanks for contributing to this thread. Teela and some others, I feel most of us are guilty of PJ ism at times. I am better than I used to be.

I find that now being a full-fledged CG I am just trying to find out the non-sulfate products, conditioners, and gels that work well for me. I love the Curly Burly but find I used about 3 types of gel now that I love the most. As time goes by I plan to streamline, and change as the weather changes. I must say I am totally addicted to Sleek & Shine by Fructis...love it.

So everyone, have a very happy and curly day.
    Red
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Irish-American Curly
    RedheadCurly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file