Is this outfit "80s" enough?

JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So I found out last weekend that DH's work holiday party, which is next weekend, is 80s themed. I'm trying to come up with an outfit using a couple of things I already own and I'm wondering if it will work. Here's what I have so far
5ef4359b-1.jpg
I already owned the skirt and shoes and picked the shirt up at Forever21 tonight. It's hard to see, but it's sheer royal blue with some glitter. I was thinking of getting some bright colored tights...would that make it look more 80s? And if so, should I get a color close to the shirt color, or something completely different like pink or purple? I would really like the skirt to be a mini skirt, so if I find one that's inexpensive I will get it, but would this one work?

I'm also going to look for some colorful bangle bracelets (those lovely plastic ones...which I think they are selling again). Any other easy/cheap suggestions?

Comments

• GroYoFroGroYoFro Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think you need to add a leather jacket and then the outfit will be complete! it looks great tho!
    "Life is too short to keep your hair short"

Click here to visit - GRO YO FRO!
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No, people will ask you why you didn't dress according to the theme. IOW, the outfit looks like something you could wear any day in 2011.

You need something off the shoulder and I don't mean off the shoulder 2011-style. I mean something that isn't supposed to be worn off the shoulder, but you wear it that way anyway (cuz that's how we did it in the 80s). Then you need some acid wash jeans, pleated preferably, rolled up at the ankle. For shoes, Chuck Taylors will do fine. Then throw those curls up in a side ponytail and you should be "80s enough" for any party. If you still need inspiration, I suggest watching Pretty in Pink or The Breakfast Club.

Have fun!!

Edit: If your hair isn't long enough for a side pony, just tease it. The bigger the better, a la:

awkward-family-portraits.jpg
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yea.... ITA with Phoenix (love your avi, btw). If you're going to do it, you gotta do it big and you gotta do it right. There's really nothing quintessentially 80s about your outfit as-is.

If I did the pencil skirt, I would get a colorful graphic sweatshirt and push the arms up to the elbows, put on some Keds with some kid socks, wear some chunky bangles and some funky stud earrings.

Sent from The Brick
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    While Phoenix's suggestions would be ideal, I don't have the time or money to go search for things I'll never wear again. I'm trying to make do with what I have without completely ignoring the theme. I plan to tease my hair, get some bright eye shadow, and get some chunky bracelets to help whatever outfit I wear.

I also admit, I really don't like theme or costume parties...putting together outfits with things I'll never wear again is like torture to me...I'd much rather wear a cocktail dress that I already have. So, it's all I can do just to put an ounce of effort into this.

• SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    If you can 'mullett-ize' your hair it might go a long way to feeling more 80's...

bobby pins and lots of hair spray!
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would definitely go with the bright tights. And a pair of ankle boots if you have any. I think with that and the big hair/bright eyeshadow (blue, right?)/chunky jewelry you should blend in at an 80's party. Think Cyndi Lauper or (early) Madonna.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    It just doesn't look that 80s to me. If you're determined to wear that, you at least need to add some giant shoulder pads. We wore big, loud patterns more than glitter. (Glitter was 70s.) When I was in high school and college, I wore a lot of thrift store and menswear stuff.

Some ideas of things you would already have:
    - Cut the neck and sleeves off an old sweatshirt a la Flashdance.
    - Borrow a mens dress shirt (the bigger the better) and belt it.
    - Peg and cuff the legs of a pair of Levis
    - White Keds with ankle socks
    - Leggings
    - We wore mini skirts, not long pencil skirts.
    - Tie a scarf around your hair with a big bow on top
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • greenjumpergreenjumper Posts: 891Registered Users
    Side ponytail and a bright scrunchie. Colorful eye makeup and bright knee-high socks!

Pretty much what everyone else mentioned already. Think colorful.

I went to an 80s party about a year ago and I think 80% of the girls had side ponytails.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    Scrunchies came out in the 90s. :)
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    Tease your hair and get it as big as you can. I wouldn't bother with a side ponytail since everyone will probably do it. Most of us didn't wear them anyway. At least not in NYC. Most of the girls I went to high school with preferred to leave their hair down as often as possible, though leaving it down on one side wasnt uncommon A hat would be awesome, though! LOL Like this one:

Athena1989-90a.jpg

A brightly colored top that can be pulled off the shoulder would be perfect, maybe teal or fuchsia or bright yellow. You can wear ankle socks or socks that can be scrunched down and they should ideally be the same color as your top. We didnt wear knee high socks--we always scrunched them down ariund our ankles and wore them over our jeans. Even better if you wear more than one pair in colors that match your outfit. Ankle boots would be best but pumps with ankle socks will work in a pinch. Dark eyeliner and frosty pink lipstick.

I'd have to go back through pictures to think of anything else.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    I so remember matching red socks to red top. Or yellow or pink.

Don't forget the gloves with cut off fingertips!
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nallia, is that you in that picture? Very cute!!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Things weren't so "fitted" as that outfit in the 80's. Get a BIG shirt and tie it up over that top, maybe with some BIG shoulder pads, and it would look a lot more authentic.

And we never went bare-legged in the 80's. Tights or socks matched the shirt and headband (or scrunchie).

White Reebok sneakers went with everything. Even business suits.

And get some BIG button earrings.

And wear a lot of blush.
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    It is me, many many moons ago. Thank you! I was too lazy to look for a hat pic on google and I already had that on photobucket. LOL
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    You look just like Alyssa Milano in an old Teen Beat!
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    No, people will ask you why you didn't dress according to the theme. IOW, the outfit looks like something you could wear any day in 2011.

You need something off the shoulder and I don't mean off the shoulder 2011-style. I mean something that isn't supposed to be worn off the shoulder, but you wear it that way anyway (cuz that's how we did it in the 80s). Then you need some acid wash jeans, pleated preferably, rolled up at the ankle. For shoes, Chuck Taylors will do fine. Then throw those curls up in a side ponytail and you should be "80s enough" for any party. If you still need inspiration, I suggest watching Pretty in Pink or The Breakfast Club.

Edit: If your hair isn't long enough for a side pony, just tease it. The bigger the better, a la:

awkward-family-portraits.jpg

ITA
    and LOL!!!

Posted from my "smart"phone. 'Scuse crazy typos
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    You could wear colored tights like pink, purple or teal and get a cheap scarf to either tie around your neck or wear it in your hair.

3/4 length leggins or tights would make the outfit more 80s and they sell them at Walmart for cheap.

C393.JPG&width=190&height=190&aspect=true

You can buy cheap lace or any kind of bright fabric to make a headband and tie it into a bow.

C346.JPG

Jelly bracelets, lots and lots. When you do your makeup use your blush for eyeshadow and then add purple and blue or other neon colors. If it looks like too much then you still don't have enough.

It doesn't have to be dead on authentic and not everyone dressed like Flash Dance or Stacey Q in the 80s.
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's a look that probably won't cost you much:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcXys5UId06cGkLZxwwZ-YFJlK3CiPNlWT2GOrh-WpZSoVBTrP

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But hey, those Robert Palmer girls... that's a fairly easy look to copy (though it would be a shame to not take advantage of your curls and go for the teased look).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuSIVfz5DDoIo5OopD71bM1mAZURIujwgzYFF8anrIgNcexcjv images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGW_Ks3n62VPvmWBBHrHnutS9RJTB5hk3W4BFzNfLMnXxDMjBPa0Fy-lN5
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    Yeah I agree with the others that say your outfit isn't really 80's at all.

Def get colored tights, then you can wear ruffled socks (like the kind baby girls wear) over the tights with pumps. Get a big blazer to put over the outfit and you might have something.

I never knew anyone who wore a side ponytail IRL, maybe in videos or something but if you want to wear it up, see if you can find a banana clip. Oh how I loved them back in the day.

As for makeup, blue eyeliner was big, as was brown eyeshadow, worn almost up to the brow bone, not just on the lid. I also wore dark blush, not blended very well. Oh and don't forget bushy eyebrows. Pencil in your arch to make them straight. I can't believe I ever thought I looked good.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • VerityVerity Posts: 616Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Jenny C wrote: »
    I never knew anyone who wore a side ponytail IRL, maybe in videos or something but if you want to wear it up, see if you can find a banana clip. Oh how I loved them back in the day.

As for makeup, blue eyeliner was big, as was brown eyeshadow, worn almost up to the brow bone, not just on the lid. I also wore dark blush, not blended very well. Oh and don't forget bushy eyebrows. Pencil in your arch to make them straight. I can't believe I ever thought I looked good.

I was in college in the early '80s, and I wore a side ponytail all of once. My roommate probably wore one a couple of times a month, though.

I remember gray eye shadow being big. (I tried it once. Ugh. Gray is SO not my color.)

I realize this thread is out of date, but I'm posting anyway!
  • wonderdiana - shopaholic takes a napwonderdiana - shopaholic takes a nap Posts: 1,728Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Jenny C wrote: »
    Yeah I agree with the others that say your outfit isn't really 80's at all.

Def get colored tights, then you can wear ruffled socks (like the kind baby girls wear) over the tights with pumps. Get a big blazer to put over the outfit and you might have something.

I totally rocked a side ponytail in the late '80s/early '90s. Of course I was, like, 7...
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You could do the wet look (gel) hair pulled back in a bun, wide bright belt, and 80's make up with that outfit. Just have to jack up the heels with that look. It wasn't all jelly bracelets, lace bows and ankle boots. It was a part of it for people born in the 70's/living in the 80's, along with other looks. But many women in their 30's and 40's rocked a different look. So did the goth community, punks, and the Molly Ringwalds of the world. There were preppy looks full of lace trimmed blouses, soft colors, layered outfits, and pearls. Classy sleek looks (always complete with hair jacked to Jesus or the wet look, shoulder pads, and very large necklaces/earrings or every necklace you owned worn at once, large earrigs and a blazer with the sleeves halfway rolled up). And looks all about muted colors (and often lace blouses on guys). Parts of it were all about re inventing romance, poetry, and revisiting the days of Marie Antoinette.

Sent by hyper-ingredient-sensitive weirdo, with an iPhone :)
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    If you have a Rainbow or Rave near you, they sell all kinds of bangles and earrings that are big and plastic for cheap.

Target also sells brightly colored leggings rolled up in bins for $5 each, but they often have the really bright colors (magenta, fuchsia) on sale for $2-3.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file