Interesting Beauty Brains Post on Shea Moisture Shampoo

pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
Is Shea Moisture Shampoo Missing Ingredients?
It is crazy to me that even brands sold in drugstores and salons fudge their ingredient lists. People with issues with preservatives might want to know which one is actually in a product.
http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
Cowash: Tresemme naturals
Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
Curl enhancer: FSG
Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for bringing it up! I totally hate this (not listing ingredients). I wish we'd get it together and fund the FDA well enough so that things like that could be better regulated. It's one thing if I have to run back to the shower to wash off something itchy or wear hydrocortisone cream instead of eye makeup.
    It's another thing if somebody goes into anaphylaxis or has some other severe reaction. Liability issues? You bet!
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Another link on the same subject, this time Giovanni.
    Can You Spot A Natural Product By Reading The Ingredients?

Another example:
    A couple years ago Diva changed the ingredients on one of their products, but did not change the ingredients on the label. They claimed they did this to "save paper" for environmental reasons. This is the same company that advocates drying your hair with paper towels.

ETA: The infamously inaccurate label of Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle and Rose.
    http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/06/aubrey-organics-ingredients-order.html
    Just reread the link. Guess they finally said what is in the coconut fatty acid cream base and if I remember right, they weren't disclosing what was in Aubrey's Preservative at one point.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    I never could figure out Aubrey's preservative in their old formulations - vitamin A,C, and E - which might help with rancidity, but won't prevent "germs."
    Their stuff made my skin itch.
    Now, I see that some of their conditioners have grain alcohol pretty high on the list, so they must be using that as their "natural" preservative ("alcohol denat."). Maybe they always were? You need from 50-80% grain alcohol (ethyl) to preserve things (like a bug in a jar). And the problem with that is... alcohol is extremely volatile and evaporates whenever it gets a chance. So how much is left after a couple months? How well does it stay mixed with conditioners - not everything dissolves in alcohol. I get "proprietary formulas" but there's also customer protection in the INCI naming/full disclosure.
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    I don't think "proprietary formulas" are legal. I think legally you have to put every thing on your label. It is just that no one seems to do anything to stop mislabeling from happening. Maybe these companies just pay a 5$ fine and continue to fudge their labels.

Interesting that the A,C,E preservative won't preserve on its own. Makes you wonder what is in there. I know many bloggers wrote them to ask what "coconut fatty acid cream base" was, and received no answer.

From the link in the natural haven link. It is on Aubrey Organic's website
    COCONUT FATTY ACID CREAM BASE — Absorption base containing essential fatty acids, coconut fatty alcohols from palm kernels, aloe vera and vitamins A, C and E. Rich in linoleic and linolenic acids (vitamin F)

COCONUT FATTY ALCOHOLSCetyl Alcohol, Myristyl Alcohol. The long-chain fatty alcohols from coconut palm kernels
    So, the coconut fatty acid cream base has "coconut fatty alcohols", which should be listed as non exotic sounding Cetyl Alcohol and Myristyl Alcohol and are derived from palm kernels and not coconuts.
    Also, what does "essential fatty acids" mean? Which essential fatty acids? Is that a term allowed on labels?

Beauty Brains had another post that I can't find. There was a famous natural salon brand (I don't remember which one, but think along the lines of Aveda). This brand was purchased by a large shampoo company (I don't remember which one here either, but think of a company like Proctor and Gamble). People were complaining that after the big company bought the small one, they swapped out the fancy natural ingredients for cheaper chemical ones. Beauty Brains take was that the big company was just labeling the same formula correctly. Their thought was the big company wanted to protect their big pockets from big law suits.
    pedaheh wrote: »
    I don't think "proprietary formulas" are legal. I think legally you have to put every thing on your label. It is just that no one seems to do anything to stop mislabeling from happening. Maybe these companies just pay a 5$ fine and continue to fudge their labels.

Interesting that the A,C,E preservative won't preserve on its own. Makes you wonder what is in there. I know many bloggers wrote them to ask what "coconut fatty acid cream base" was, and received no answer.

From the link in the natural haven link. It is on Aubrey Organic's website
    COCONUT FATTY ACID CREAM BASE — Absorption base containing essential fatty acids, coconut fatty alcohols from palm kernels, aloe vera and vitamins A, C and E. Rich in linoleic and linolenic acids (vitamin F)

COCONUT FATTY ALCOHOLSCetyl Alcohol, Myristyl Alcohol. The long-chain fatty alcohols from coconut palm kernels
    So, the coconut fatty acid cream base has "coconut fatty alcohols", which should be listed as non exotic sounding Cetyl Alcohol and Myristyl Alcohol and are derived from palm kernels and not coconuts.
    Also, what does "essential fatty acids" mean? Which essential fatty acids? Is that a term allowed on labels?

Beauty Brains had another post that I can't find. There was a famous natural salon brand (I don't remember which one, but think along the lines of Aveda). This brand was purchased by a large shampoo company (I don't remember which one here either, but think of a company like Proctor and Gamble). People were complaining that after the big company bought the small one, they swapped out the fancy natural ingredients for cheaper chemical ones. Beauty Brains take was that the big company was just labeling the same formula correctly. Their thought was the big company wanted to protect their big pockets from big law suits.

Wow, Pedaheh - bustin' chops!
    :director:

Proprietary formulas are on their way out in cosmetics, from what I've read too. Interesting last bit about the big company creating the more accurate label, but less natural-sounding. I like to read reviews about products I am considering trying and I always get a kick out of how people say they feel so good about the "natural, chemical free" products (anything from Aubrey to Kiss My Face to Deva), but when I look at the ingredients, all I see are "chemicals" and maybe some herbal extracts. Chemicals are our friends! And herbs like poison ivy or "wild" parsnip" do just awful things to our skin.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Wow. This really makes me mad. Especially for sensitive-skinned people, like me and IAgirl, who NEED to know what's in certain things so we don't waste our money on something that makes our scalps itch like heck (like someone already mentioned). Now I know why that darn shampoo made me itch so bad. (At least the family member I gave it to loves it to death, and I don't feel QUITE as bad now! ;)) And, I'm glad that sort of confirmed my suspicion that a little bit of "natural extracts" at the end couldn't make the smell (especially one that smells so floraly and unnatural) so strong. Wow. I feel both infuriated (because if SM can do this, lots of other people, like you both mentioned, can do it too) and happy (because I was right in my suspicions!! :)). If only we actually KNEW what was going into all the stuff we put on and into our bodies. Sometimes I wonder if making stuff yourself is the only real way to know that only good things are going into it. That's REALLY sad.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file