DMV Ladies: Fiddleheads Hair Salon?

AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
Hey guys,

I have an appointment at Fiddleheads next week and I'm super excited :occasion9: Just wondering if anyone on the board (preferably with hair that looks sorta like mine :p ) has experience with the place? They specialize in the Devacut and I worry that my hair's not "curly" enough for that method.

Thanks!

Pic of my hurr wet/no products.

Comments

• cheveuxboucléscheveuxbouclés Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    I first heard of this salon from the It's Just Hair Blog here Deva Hair Cut Review June 2010 - Oops! It's Late!

I made an appointment earlier this summer, but canceled with the intent to reschedule. Months later I have yet to do it. I really really really hope you have a good experience so I can head over myself. This mullet thing I have going on in the back is not the business.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The only salon that I go to in DC is salon revive on U street. I've been going for the past 3-4 years and it's the ONLY place I've let get near me with scissors or heat. To my knowledge, they don't do a "branded" curly cut but they are excellent cutters. Every cut I've received there has looked good styled curly or straight. The only stylists I use at salon revive are the co-owners Yodit (yo-deet) and Hiwot (hue-wit).

I've never been to fiddleheads and I haven't heard many tighter curled folks talk about them. I'd be curious to know if they can handle tighter curls

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • helpmycurlhelpmycurl Posts: 19Registered Users
    Where in the DMV is fiddleheads and approximately how much is it? Im in the DMV and in search of a salon.
  • Ogo'mOgo'm Posts: 242Registered Users
    I went there to get my hair shaped when I needed an appointment immediately and couldn't get one at Salon Revive (I normally go to Hiwot as well). Beth shaped my hair very nicely, making styling a breeze, and was reluctant to cut off too much. I had to convince her to cut off up to an inche in some places. I was desperate to even out my hair; I had too many different lengths going on. She actually advised me to stop cutting my hair so much and that my ends were fine from my last cut 4 months earlier.

Styling wise, she didn't do a great job. I had to shake out my hair once I left the salon and I hated the smell of the leave-in she used (I think Infusium 23). The next morning my hair was dry, dry, dry.

Overall, great cut, bad, bad styling.
    Ogo'm wrote: »
    I went there to get my hair shaped when I needed an appointment immediately and couldn't get one at Salon Revive (I normally go to Hiwot as well). Beth shaped my hair very nicely, making styling a breeze, and was reluctant to cut off too much. I had to convince her to cut off up to an inche in some places. I was desperate to even out my hair; I had too many different lengths going on. She actually advised me to stop cutting my hair so much and that my ends were fine from my last cut 4 months earlier.

Styling wise, she didn't do a great job. I had to shake out my hair once I left the salon and I hated the smell of the leave-in she used (I think Infusium 23). The next morning my hair was dry, dry, dry.

Yeah, looking at the pics from the blog, I thought her hair looked a lot dryer than usual. Not that it matters much if she can do her job--- but is the stylist white?

I also go to Salon Revive and I like them for trimming, but I really want and need a shaping cut. ]I can't even really wear a wash n go, because it looks a mess.
  • Ogo'mOgo'm Posts: 242Registered Users

Yeah, looking at the pics from the blog, I thought her hair looked a lot dryer than usual. Not that it matters much if she can do her job--- but is the stylist white?

I also go to Salon Revive and I like them for trimming, but I really want and need a shaping cut. ]I can't even really wear a wash n go, because it looks a mess.

Yes, the stylist I saw (Beth) is white. I think she is the only one there licensed to do the Devachan cut. I liked the shape she gave me; I have different textures and shrinkage rates and I think it all comes together well now. She used the cutting comb, which I didn't mind and had no ill-effects from, but I know some people do not like for stylist to use smaller toothed combs on their hair.

Yes, the stylist I saw (Beth) is white. I think she is the only one there licensed to do the Devachan cut. I liked the shape she gave me; I have different textures and shrinkage rates and I think it all comes together well now. She used the cutting comb, which I didn't mind and had no ill-effects from, but I know some people do not like for stylist to use smaller toothed combs on their hair.

Ok, cool. She may not know what products work on tighter curls... I will definitely bring my own stylers for the end result when I go. Thanks for the info!
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Posts: 1,160Registered Users
    I've never heard of Fiddleheads but I would love to see pics after your appointment.

I go to Fabulocs in Capital Heights, MD and I've been very pleased. Everyone in there can do hair and they have their own products which I want to try. Everyone is really in to hair health there. I've also been to Under The Sun on Georgia Ave. They cut all my relaxer off and gave me a cute coil out. If I lived closer I would've gone back.
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    Thanks everyone! Beth is the stylist I'm going to see (because, I too, found the It's Just Hair blog :) ). I considered Salon Revive but every time I go they seem anxious to cut my hair straight and I want a curly cut this time. Granted though, I've never been to Hiwot or Yodit--my standby stylists were Althea and...well I forget the other young ladies name but she was Ethiopian...but they're both gone now, so I'll look into Yodit or Hiwot next time I go. I also decided against Revive because they're a tad expensive for my student budget lol. I'm looking at $60 dollars for the cut at Fiddleheads whereas I've never spent less than 100 for ANYTHING at Revive :/

I'll definitely post before and after pics when I get it done. I'll do a wash and go so they can maybe cut my hair dry...

I hope others bump this thread and post their hair cuts too! I'm interested in seeing the work of stylists all over the DMV
    Before cut:

After cut:

excuse the cleavage and the tired eyes. I was/am tired :/
    AmberBrown wrote: »
    Before cut:
    2vngris.jpg

After cut:

s58pco.jpg

excuse the cleavage and the tired eyes. I was/am tired :/

I can't really see the pics at work--- are you happy with the cut?!

I LOVE it! Beth was so engaged. She chatted with me about my hair the whole time, cut each curl individually and basically just spent a ton of time and energy on the cut. So I'm not surprised it turned out FAB :D I even loved the hair washing lady, Michelle. She was so nice. And I got wine! Lol very pleasant experience for a total of $75.

More thoughts: I can't stress enough how much she knew what she was doing. I'll be honest and admit that I kinda thought a white lady (esp. with straight hair!) wouldn't know how to handle my tresses. On a good day, I barely know what I'm doing. But she did! And she was so careful. I had to tell her that she could use a firmer hand as I'm not tender-headed lol. I'm definitely going back.

I LOVE it! Beth was so engaged. She chatted with me about my hair the whole time, cut each curl individually and basically just spent a ton of time and energy on the cut. So I'm not surprised it turned out FAB :D I even loved the hair washing lady, Michelle. She was so nice. And I got wine! Lol very pleasant experience for a total of $75.

More thoughts: I can't stress enough how much she knew what she was doing. I'll be honest and admit that I kinda thought a white lady (esp. with straight hair!) wouldn't know how to handle my tresses. On a good day, I barely know what I'm doing. But she did! And she was so careful. I had to tell her that she could use a firmer hand as I'm not tender-headed lol. I'm definitely going back.

YEAH! I am so happy for you ( and me lol)... I am definitely going to make an appointment in the next few weeks. Did you take the metro or drove? I think it is metro accessible.

I can't do wine or else I would be knocked out, head back, snoring away.

YEAH! I am so happy for you ( and me lol)... I am definitely going to make an appointment in the next few weeks. Did you take the metro or drove? I think it is metro accessible.

LOL be sure to report back! I want to see purty hair cuts. I took the metro. I came out near the K st. exit I think. It was about a 4 block walk from Dupont Circle.

LOL be sure to report back! I want to see purty hair cuts. I took the metro. I came out near the K st. exit I think. It was about a 4 block walk from Dupont Circle.

Good to know. Thanks for the info:)
    Not even 4 hours ago I was thinking: damn, I don't feel like being bothered with my hair for like a week. Maybe I should get it straightened. Then like magic, I get an email from Salon Revive a few minutes ago saying they miss me and offered 20.00 off any 60.00 service or more.

I really want to try Fiddleheads, but straightening and a trim for 40/45 bucks is really calling my name right now...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file