Winter Hair: Moisturize in layers?

teachermrwteachermrw Posts: 269Registered Users Curl Neophyte
This is my first winter being completely natural. Therefore, I am wondering what others do to keep their hair properly moisturized. I reside in Connecticut, where it gets cold, cold, cold during the winter months. My hair and scalp tend to get very dry as a result, and so I am looking for hearty products.

Another question: Do I use a leave-in, followed by a moisturizer, followed by a butter?
Your hair is your most important accessory.

event.png

Comments

• curlyevcurlyev Posts: 246Registered Users
    You can use those things if it's not too much for your hair. I just use leave in conditioner and mousse (cone free). I use the Sally's version of Biolage Conditioning Balm, so I get major hydration there. It might be good for your hair. A lot of curlies LOVE it!
    -3A, fine, very thick, normal por., normal elast., long, dye- free (CG since Nov. '11)
    -Low poo (As needed): CVS Argan Oil Renewing Shampoo
    -RO: GVP The Detangler
    -Styling: LALSG
    -PT: ION Effective Care (seldom)
    *I have learned that sometimes less is more when it comes to my hair*
    :love6:

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    teachermrw wrote: »
    Another question: Do I use a leave-in, followed by a moisturizer, followed by a butter?

That's what I do. My moisturizer is currently Curl Junkie Rehab or the Beauticurls leave-in. The butter I'm using is Afroveda totally Twisted so I can use it up. The Camille Rose Almond Jai seems to be similar so I'll switch to that when the Totally Twisted is all used up.

I also like Pura Body Naturals Sapote Lotion which I plan to use with the Cupuacu Butter (if it ever gets to me that is...sigh)
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    teachermrw wrote: »

That's what I do. My moisturizer is currently Curl Junkie Rehab or the Beauticurls leave-in. The butter I'm using is Afroveda totally Twisted so I can use it up. The Camille Rose Almond Jai seems to be similar so I'll switch to that when the Totally Twisted is all used up.

I also like Pura Body Naturals Sapote Lotion which I plan to use with the Cupuacu Butter (if it ever gets to me that is...sigh)

this, I either use a rich conditioner and a butter/pomade on top (right now its darcys pumpkin seed under shea or oyin bsp.. and I put that over aloe juice which I count as a leave in.)

or if im using something lighter like the purabody naturals sapote lotion, I use curl rehab on the ends as my "moisturizer" as well.. under the cupuacu butter.

to me if the leave in/moisturizer is rich enough I normally use that alone and just seal it in with a butter.. but I have lighter products I want to use right now that would normally stand alone, like the sapote lotion.. that im finding are doing better when layered. So it all depends!

also, i find oiling my scalp a cpl times a week this winter.. usually after I wet my hair & its damp DEF helps with dryness and itchies
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • teachermrwteachermrw Posts: 269Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you to everyone who responded and offered advice. It's very helpful and most appreciated. :sunny:
    Your hair is your most important accessory.

event.png
  • RonnieajRonnieaj Posts: 304Registered Users
    Hey there. Just wanted to pop in and say that I agree with everything Reeky said. I do almost the same thing. If I wear my hair in a bun I'll use a deep conditioner as a leave-in with a butter on top, but if I'm wearing my hair in twists I'll use a lighter leave-in and a smaller amount of butter on the ends only. The reason is that the twisting creams/butters I use (Darcy's, Mozeke) suffice as a butter for me, and if I do too much my twists are too soft and they unravel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file