Dear NYC: Seeking a stylist who is good with loose waves

loremipsumloremipsum Registered Users Posts: 162 Curl Novice
It's immensely hard to find a stylist who is willing to be nice to my waves. Regular salons want to cut and style my hair straight, while curly salons want to try and force it to curl...but no one seems to accept its natural, loosely wavy state. I'm not sure if asking you guys will help, since I'm sure most of you are understandably looking for or familiar with curly salons...but there is no NaturallyWavy.com and I'm at my wit's end. I thought maybe somewhere out there, there might be another loose wavy in NYC who can help me out...

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,358 Curl Connoisseur
    wavy hair is curly hair, just a very loose curl. a good curl stylist should be able to cut your hair.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi - you might try JD Bowers at Tosler Davis. He's gotten very good reviews here at nc.com

I went to him and I was very pleased. My hair is a wreck (I had a horrible haircut before and I tried to fix it by cutting it myself which only made it worse). He listened and was very patient. He's not dogmatic - he'll try to give you what you want.

It's expensive but I think worth it if you can swing it.

Good luck - whatever you decide.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • loremipsumloremipsum Registered Users Posts: 162 Curl Novice
    Thanks for the recommendation, CurlyPearl. That is a bit expensive for me, though. I think the max I can do is $100.

Rbb, I'm reluctant to get a curly cut because my waves are weak and don't really clump that much or behave like curls, so I'm not sure if cutting "curl by curl" or just doing overall hair sculpting is a good idea or even possible. I think I need something halfway between a curly Deva-like cut and a normal haircut.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Some of us have had difficulty with Deva cuts because they turn out uneven if you don't wear your hair curly. (Some people swear by them though). In your case, I wouldn't suggest a Deva cut.

Let us know if you find someone who does a great job on your hair! I wish I knew someone who was reasonably priced. Haircuts seem outrageous these days.

I'm wondering if you could get a student cut at a really good salon? Would you trust that? I think some people here have had excellent experiences that way.

Good luck!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    i think a GOOD deva stylist would easily know how to cut loose waves.

looking for a salon that has students for a lesser price is a good idea. why don't you call devachan and ask if they do. also, years ago vidal sassoon had students for cheaper rates, i think it was an 'after hours' appointment. and, before devachan and others, i used to go to vidal sassoon (like in the 80s) and they cut my hair to bring out some wave/curl, told me never to brush my hair, and to only comb it wet, and not to touch it while it was drying, and not to blow dry my hair. pretty forward thinking for that time. so, you can call and ask if they have students/student rates.

i am sure there are many other places that would offer that.

• loremipsumloremipsum Registered Users Posts: 162 Curl Novice
    That's my concern, CurlyPearl. I also hear Deva cuts often don't grow out well, and I can't afford to have them touched up frequently.

It would be nice to find someone who knows how to cut wavy layers in a way that each layer waves nicely into the next. What I don't like is having layers that end in a flip rather than curving back in and flowing into the next layer. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but that's what happens when I get a straighty cut. Most stylists just don't get it and wonder why I don't just straighten my hair, or they treat me like I just have crappy straight hair instead of wavy hair, and blowdrying it every day is the only way it can ever succeed at looking decent :(

I'm totally open to student cuts. I'm just not sure I know I'd go about choosing a place. I had a student cut done at Bumble and Bumble a few times, but it was nothing special. One guy actually DID style my hair wavy, which was a miracle. This was before I even had a clue that I had wavy hair at all. Wish I could track him down but it was years ago...
    i think you have the deva cuts mixed up with the ouidad cuts -- the ouidad cuts do not grow out well. the deva cuts are known for allowing you to go months in between, many people go once every 6 months, i go once every 5 months.

• anillanganillang Registered Users Posts: 32
    I have wavy/curly hair and got a cut a few months ago by a Deva trained stylist. They did not cut wave for wave, or curl for curl. It honestly looked like the way my hair used to be cut when it was straight. Since I wanted quite a few inches off, they just cut off the length I didn't want and then started touching it up from there. Since it was dry and they were combing it, it just started frizzing out and getting bigger. I walked in with my hair in it's natural state, so they definitely saw it before hand. Not knocking the Deva technique or stylist, but I really wasn't impressed. My cut looked exactly the same way it did when I just went to any old stylist, except it cost 4x more. I definitely need a cut again but I'm really hesitant now. My friend got her hair touched up and styled at Curlisto and she loved it, but she has very tight curly hair.
    2C'ish...spirals in front, waves in back, straight underneath. FUN!

Low porosity, low elasticity, med-coarse texture

Shampoo: Trader Joe's Refresh Citrus Shampoo
    Co-wash: Suave Conditioner
    Rinse out: Trader Joe's Nourish
    Stylers: Currently playing with combinations of DevaCare ArcAngel, John Frieda mousse, Re:Coil & Eco Styler Argan Oil Styling Gel

Finally taking my hair seriously so all suggestions and advice are welcome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file