Help! Choosing between natural and the fam (updated 1/1)

forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
Just when I figured they were coming around, they dropped a bomb.

My parents told me this morning that I need to go to the salon or else. And going to the salon means getting it heat trained/damaged so that I am a "straight" natural, or getting it braided all the time, which frankly puts a lot of undue stress on my hairline. (Did I mention that I am still trying to grow it back from the pre-natural days?)

"Or else" means that if I don't follow through, I will be kicked out, they will stop paying my school fees. The whole nine.

Their reasoning is that the way I wear my hair (twists, the occasional braid out, afro and afro puff) is unprofessional, and that I'm not supposed to do my own hair. I am at a loss. What should I do? Never thought it would come to this.

Thanks in advance for your help.
last relaxer 08/08/09
all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.

Comments

• CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If my parents told me some mess like that, I'd just ask if I could get a weave. That way, when I move out, I can just take my weave out and have some fly a$$ hair. Would they let you do that? If not, opt for braids and just be careful with hairline tension.

Seriously though...that's ridiculous and sad.
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    Woah now. The question isn't "natural or family" it's "natural or LIVELIHOOD"

I love me some natural...but I like surviving more. They talking about kicking you out and cutting off the $$ supply?? Nope. No sir. I'd get a perm ASAP.
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For REAL! It is not that serious. I don't know what gets into people! But a weave/wig may be a happy compromise. If not, braids are the best bet. ((Hugs)).

Jen :D

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

http://AfroCurls.wordpress.com
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sorry your parents aren't supportive of you natural hiar journey. My parents had the good sense not to lay ultimatums about how I choose to live my life. They tried though and failed miserably. My gut reaction to your post would be to get some loans and keep it moving because it sounds like they wouldn't be as concerned with my education as they are in controlling me.

It's sad to me your parents would cut you off just because of how you wear your hair. I wonder would it actually stop once you're out of school and paying your own bills? Your post was disturbing to me on many levels.

It sounds like they are willing to work with you at least on keeping it natural. Braids are a fair option and you can take advantage of letting your hair rest for a few months in between.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Posts: 1,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    whaaaaat! I agree to a post above get a fly weave. say weave it or leave it! then when u want u can still have ur natural hair out.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Blog:www.curlygirlie85.blogspot.com
    YouTube: www.youtube.com/sophiams85
    my blog
    http://curlygirlie85.blogspot.com/
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: http://sophiams85.tumblr.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LanishaLanisha Posts: 467Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, I don't know how old you are, if you are in a position or age where it makes sense for your parents to be telling you what to do, BUT education is and always will be more important than hair. Having a place to live (unless you make enough money to get your own place) will always be more important than hair.

However, if they are open to a dialogue, I say, sit down with them with your computer and look up pics of women with natural hair and brainstorm with them on what styles they like and don't like and maybe you can narrow it down to what they DO find acceptable.

Or maybe it's as simple as making a few subtle changes. For me, I know slicking my front and edges makes my wash n go and puff look 100x more polished than when I don't. Using a pretty headband with delicate details like beading or other accents and matching it to my clothes rather than just a regular ol Goody ouchless also looks more polished. Earrings help. Shine helps too, so I add a shine spritz so my hair doesn't look dull and dry like I just rolled out of bed or like it hasn't been washed in weeks. Clothing is also something I keep in mind. I don't wear an old fuzzy wash n go if I know I'm going to be in a hoodie. I either will change the hoodie or change the hair so I don't look bummy from head to toe.

Anyway, I hth :)
  • greenjumpergreenjumper Posts: 891Registered Users
    Are you sure that what they are saying isn't just a threat? It seems like they are worried about natural hair because of how it looks. Well....it looks much worse to say "My daughter is a homeless college dropout" than "My daughter wears her hair "nappy" "

Usually parents just want their child to have the best future possible. Are they really willing to jeopardize your future over hair? (But then you also have to ask if YOU are willing to jeopardize your future over hair if they are actually serious about this).

If you don't think calling their bluff is a good idea (because I admit, that's risky), I'd also go with the weave/braids option.
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    I am so sorry for you; this must be a difficult time.

That said, wtf about you "not suppopsed to" do your own hair? So, are they going to pay for it all of your life or are they just writing your future budget for you?

OK, sorry...now, have you had a serious discussion with them about what this means to you, and about the damage/hair loss you have had to deal with and are trying to reverse? Maybe if you bring it to them this way instead of a battle of wills, it might go over better.

Also, there are many professional, corporate women who are natural. I am sitting at my desk with a bun now, but I was wearing a puff and it was always well kept. Also, Ursula Burns, the head of Xerox, wears a twa, and there are others that I don't have time to find because I am at work, but they are out there. Maybe some examples will help.

Plus you could always go along with them and bc again when you leave their house.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know how old you are. But if you're in your 20s, you should probably just get loans and keep it moving or get a weave, then when you go to school take it out (assuming you don't live at home). If you're a teenager, I guess you're in private school? I'd do the braids or the weave.

That's ridiculous and sad.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Firstly, that's INSANE. They're willing to cut you off completely over a HAIR STYLE?! And how are you not "supposed to do your own hair?" You're supposed to be dependent on someone else for the rest of your life? Ugh, just no.

If they're open to dialogue try to reason with them. Show them photos of professional women with natural hair (example: CEO of Xerox is natural, etc.) and explain why natural hair can be extremely professional.

If they aren't willing to discuss--get the best weave money can buy especially if they're willing to cover the cost. And since they "don't want you doing your own hair" they'll probably be willing to cover the cost. Then you can take care of your natural hair and when you're out of the house and on you're own you'll have a fabulous head of natural hair! Yay!
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • JohariJohari Posts: 673Registered Users
    Wow thanks crazy they won't even settle for a ponytail or bun?! Your only going to school right so why worry about professional now? What about a braid out or 2 strand twist on blow dried hair-its less damaging than a flat iron and it'll give your hair a little length....if that was me I would get my hair pressed once a month like I do or try to do it myself because its less damaging than 2 weeks...since I've been going once a week my curls actually have definition and less frizzy when I do natural styles...
    What about rope twists or wear a wig whenever your around them?

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    tell your parents negrofrowns.jpg

and haters-dance.gif

it would be rude for me to say what i REALLY wanna say, so imma leave it at that.

i vote leave your hair the way it is.

BUT... you could be an ahole and go to the salon... and get the same twists youve been wearing...
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
    WAIT a damn minute...

so theyd prefer you NOT get a degree at all, and end up buming or slangin' coochie on the street over you having a damn afro?! the hell? are they normally this controlling?

the sensible part of me says get a wig or braids or something, but the ME part of me (meaning what i would actually do in this situation) says move out and never talk to them again. i'm dramatic like that.

imagine all these ppl out here ruining parents' credit, no job, 5 kids at age 20, getting into all types of mess that their parents put up with... and your's wants to put you out over HAIR?!

mannnnn.... i said i wasn't gonna say anything else.... i'm done now.

i'm mad :angry3:
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    forbee wrote: »
    Just when I figured they were coming around, they dropped a bomb.

My parents told me this morning that I need to go to the salon or else. And going to the salon means getting it heat trained/damaged so that I am a "straight" natural, or getting it braided all the time, which frankly puts a lot of undue stress on my hairline. (Did I mention that I am still trying to grow it back from the pre-natural days?)

"Or else" means that if I don't follow through, I will be kicked out, they will stop paying my school fees. The whole nine.

Their reasoning is that the way I wear my hair (twists, the occasional braid out, afro and afro puff) is unprofessional, and that I'm not supposed to do my own hair. I am at a loss. What should I do? Never thought it would come to this.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Wow...that's just a mess!:angry7:
    ooooh girl... get you some $800 weave from Cambodia. and find a stylist that charges like $300 for install.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Get a weave and learn how to do your own hair..and when you go to the salon..only have them wash, condition and set your hair on rollers. Because there is no way you are going to be able to control the amount of heat they put on your hair. And it's a sure thing that you will have severe heat damage. So DO NOT let them use a flat iron, curling iron, or straightening comb on your hair. And no tension blow drying. Only under the hooded dryer.

Also be smart and learn how to do your hair with the flat iron. This way YOU can control the amount of heat is on it. And use good heat protectants. I would be more than happy to help walk you thru all this stuff via PM if you want further help. And I don't mind answering tons of questions.

Before you freak out about my suggestion..just hear me out. Flat ironing natural hair is not as bad as it seems IF you know what you are doing and how to provide protection of the hair. There are plenty of people that flat iron their natural hair in the Winter and rock it natural in the Summer. And their curls look presentable when they wear them. You just have to be careful..this way you can please your parents but not use a relaxer or get severe heat damage.

Check out this lady that transitioned for a LONG time and she straightened her hair, did twist outs, and braid outs..then she FINALLY cut off the ends..her hair doesn't look bad at all. It may be a little "heat damaged" but it really doesn't look it. She has some excellent tutorials on hair styles.

ninapruitt's Channel - YouTube

Also would you be able to do wigs ? Go on YT and look at all the people that show how to wear wigs. For instance:
    muffinismylovers's Channel - YouTube

lovekisses99's Channel - YouTube

If you do these things..you get to keep your natural hair and when you move out on your own..you will still have a head full of NATURAL hair. And then you can work on nuturing your hair without any weave, wig, or heat tools.

BTW, I'm sorry your folks are doing this to you. It's rather sad how brainwashed a lot of POC still are about our hair. :( But right now you are trying to get your education. Don't eff it up over some hair especially when you have a way to get around this...and still be natural.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

imagine all these ppl out here ruining parents' credit, no job, 5 kids at age 20, getting into all types of mess that their parents put up with... and your's wants to put you out over HAIR?!

This is why I'm so thrown. It's cray cray....
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll bet the people's whose kids are crackheads, prostitutes, thieves, and murderers would love it if all they had to worry about was some natural hair!!
    When I was in college my mom and I got into a few fights over her trying to make me do things I don't want to do. Parents can have trouble transitioning from that "you're my child so do as I say do" to "you're an adult capable of making your own decisions." But as long as you're living in their house and financially dependent on them they won't coming to that conclusion any time soon. With my rebellious streak, I'd say "I'll do exactly what you want but be clear as soon as I finish school and move out I will be cutting all the relaxer out and going right back to what I'm wearing now." Honestly, I think they're bluffing but you know your parents better than I do.
    That's why it's great to be grown, live in your house and pay your own bills. That way when people start tripping you can go home and close your door.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    Lmao at some of you guys, especially keenylicious with her $800 Cambodian weave!

Anyway, thank you guys for your support. I love the natural, but I do not like the tension it is obviously causing between me and my parents. Also, recently my cousin went natural and chopped all her hair off and angered her parents, so I guess that incident is still weighing fresh on their minds as they think my sister and I convinced her to do it.

Some of you suggested braids--I wouldn't mind going for them once in a while. That was the way I was going about it before; alternating between extensions and my real hair every few months. But they want it non-stop, no breaks. I am "tenderheaded" as it is so getting my hair done is an ordeal, and it just doesn't seem sensible for me to come home every few months so that I can get my hair mistreated again.

Weaves and wigs are a great idea...though honestly, I have never worn a weave before so I do not know what that entails. Does anyone have any tips on that? And how to maintain my hair while I have the weave on?

Also, I am going to try to ask them for the wigs, but I'm aware that they may think that I would buy the wig and only wear it around them.

Other than that, thanks for the tips on trying to convince them that natural is professional. Lanisha, the alterations in hairstyles are definitely good ideas and may help them see that I am at least making an effort. Also, I do know about Ursula Burns, etc. so I will show them that as well. I don't know if they will change their mind--they are a bit stubborn--but that will at least be my first effort.

Marah, thanks sooo much for your help. I don't mind flat ironing at all (though I don't prefer it), but I am not for heat training. If I could learn to flat iron my hair with minimal damage, that would definitely get them off my back. I will PM you for questions since I haven't flat-ironed my own hair before.

Thanks for the hairstyles, Johari. They are really cute. I might show those to my parents too.

Anyway, this was a long post, so thanks for bearing with me if you did.
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • YltnelisYltnelis Posts: 54Registered Users
    Wow. I find this disturbing on so many levels. Not only the fact that your parents appear to be brainwashed into thinking natural hair can't be professional, but also if how you wear your hair even makes it into the top 10 list of things they're concerned about regarding their child, they really need to count themselves fortunate. I didn't see you give your age (my apologies if I missed it), but I'm going to assume you're in your teens or early 20s, otherwise I don't see why your parents should have that much control over you and your finances.

I have an associate who just lost her 18 year old son on Christmas day due to a congenital heart defect. She would give anything to have that boy back, even if he had just one patch of hair dyed purple and was tatted up from head to toe! At least she'd be able to see him, hug him, and hear his voice again. Some people really do lose sight of what is really important in life. No disrespect to your parents, but it sounds like they need a reality check. But I digress.

I agree with the ladies who have suggested weaves or wigs. I don't know anything about weaves, but it seems like it could be a temporary solution that hopefully (if installed correctly) wouldn't cause any damage to your natural hair so you won't lose any progress you've already made. I wish you the best with your situation.
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I think the weave would be the best option if you want to follow their orders. The funny part of me is not only saying you should get a $800 weave but a $800 curly weave. Muahaha.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • greenjumpergreenjumper Posts: 891Registered Users

This is why I'm so thrown. It's cray cray....

That's why I kind of think they are bluffing... I mean, it just seems ridiculous to deprive your child of an education and a home because you don't like his/her hair style. I think they are giving you an ultimatum and hoping you will crumble under the pressure.
    (I might just be thinking about my own parents who put education at the forefront of everything, yours might be different and you would need to take that into account)

However, if it's going to cause more drama than it's worth, what Marah suggested seems like a good idea to me. You'll be out on your own soon anyway, so they can't control you forever.
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm sorry... maybe I'm being the butthead here, but how OLD are you?? If you're a grown arse woman, then IMO there's really no discussion to be had. You do you. when you wanna do you and how you wanna do you. Adulthood is time out for taking cues from the parents. However, if you are still dependent on them (i.e: LIVING AT HOME), then that's an issue bc technically, you are providing them with yet another mode of control over your life where they shouldn't have any. As an adult, parents are no longer the rulers, but the advisors. Control changes to influence. The dictatorship no longer exists.

If you're in college, and they have on campus housing, then it's easier. You get loans, put yourself through school and live on campus. Perhaps they are using this natural hair as a levy bc they think they haven't raised someone who can stand on her own two feet just yet and its a low blow (but something they can do) to manipulate you. It's dead wrong ITA, but people can only do what you allow. You have to prioritize and make decisions based on that. I put myself through college and medical school and no one gave me a dime. It was out of necessity vs. eminent threat, but I'm still standing.

If you are still a minor, there's no wiggle room for you. Do what you need to do until you don't have to do it anymore. IA with all the recs for protective styling others have made. The wig would likely be best IMO.

ITA with Keeny but we're both West Indian and hotheaded... I would disown them and be out. It's that serious. LOL!!
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Get a weave !

They are being un-necessarily extra and ridiculous .
    I'm sorry... maybe I'm being the butthead here, but how OLD are you?? If you're a grown arse woman, then IMO there's really no discussion to be had. You do you. when you wanna do you and how you wanna do you. Adulthood is time out for taking cues from the parents. However, if you are still dependent on them (i.e: LIVING AT HOME), then that's an issue bc technically, you are providing them with yet another mode of control over your life where they shouldn't have any. As an adult, parents are no longer the rulers, but the advisors. Control changes to influence. The dictatorship no longer exists.

If you're in college, and they have on campus housing, then it's easier. You get loans, put yourself through school and live on campus. Perhaps they are using this natural hair as a levy bc they think they haven't raised someone who can stand on her own two feet just yet and its a low blow (but something they can do) to manipulate you. It's dead wrong ITA, but people can only do what you allow. You have to prioritize and make decisions based on that. I put myself through college and medical school and no one gave me a dime. It was out of necessity vs. eminent threat, but I'm still standing.

If you are still a minor, there's no wiggle room for you. Do what you need to do until you don't have to do it anymore. IA with all the recs for protective styling others have made. The wig would likely be best IMO.

ITA with Keeny but we're both West Indian and hotheaded... I would disown them and be out. It's that serious. LOL!!

Girl...I agree with you, but I can't go into debt and have to pay off loans over some hair.

Girl...I agree with you, but I can't go into debt and have to pay off loans over some hair.

As I said above, she has to prioritize based on what she feels she can/cannot do and what her needs are.

Student loan debt is different from normal debt and in the credit rating system plays into your credit score differently. Actually, it's considered good debt. IA, in general, folks prefer to be debt free, but if they can manipulate me about my hair.. and they can threaten me out of house and home, where does that end exactly?? I don't know anything about this young lady's family dynamic, but there's something wrong here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

As I said above, she has to prioritize based on what she feels she can/cannot do and what her needs are.

Student loan debt is different from normal debt and in the credit rating system plays into your credit score differently. Actually, it's considered good debt. IA, in general, folks prefer to be debt free, but if they can manipulate me about my hair.. and they can threaten me out of house and home, where does that end exactly?? I don't know anything about this young lady's family dynamic, but there's something wrong here.

Oh I agree with that, but there are definitely some parents who are like, "I'm not going to pay for your college if you're going to wear your hair in a manner that will hinder you from getting jobs anyway." The mindset is certainly misinformed, but it happens. I can't speak on whether they would do that to her for more important things, but in this situation, with just hair, I'd just compromise then when I graduate throw up some deuces.
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users

I had a professor tell me that student loan debt was WORSE than "regular" debt as far as creditors/lenders were concerned. Hmm.

Anyway, the type of debt would be totally irrelevant to me. Because it's all unnecessary debt to me. What I look like snubbing my nose at free money because of my hair? Sure, if her folks were telling her to prostitute herself I'd be letting OP move into MY house but uh, (and never thought I'd say this) in this instance, it's just hair. It grows back OP. If the weave and flat ironing ideas don't work, I hope you have your priorities straight. And graduation should be waaaaaaay up there on the list. Of course it's possible to graduate without parental financial assistance but it's much harder and not as guaranteed.

Look, I wanted to perm my hair when I was younger. My parents wouldn't let me, they were very pro-natural. Told me I could get a perm when I was grown and out their house. Best believe that even though I'm 21--if I still wanted a perm, I wouldn't get one. Because I DEPEND on my parents. They're footing my bills the least I can do is wear some dead follicles on my scalp the way they want me to.

I'd be like yes sir, yes ma'am.:salute:

I'd hate to have you reporting back to this thread from the public library cuz yo asz is homeless. LOL

ETA: Forbee my mom just asked for your parents phone number so she could talk to your parents LOLOLOLOL she says that she'd throw up the deuces like Naturalista and Keeny. It's funny how she raised me and has such a different opinion.
    AmberBrown wrote: »

I had a professor tell me that student loan debt was WORSE than "regular" debt as far as creditors/lenders were concerned. Hmm.

Anyway, the type of debt would be totally irrelevant to me. Because it's all unnecessary debt to me. What I look like snubbing my nose at free money because of my hair? Sure, if her folks were telling her to prostitute herself I'd be letting OP move into MY house but uh, (and never thought I'd say this) in this instance, it's just hair. It grows back OP. If the weave and flat ironing ideas don't work, I hope you have your priorities straight. And graduation should be waaaaaaay up there on the list. Of course it's possible to graduate without parental financial assistance but it's much harder and not as guaranteed.

Look, I wanted to perm my hair when I was younger. My parents wouldn't let me, they were very pro-natural. Told me I could get a perm when I was grown and out their house. Best believe that even though I'm 21--if I still wanted a perm, I wouldn't get one. Because I DEPEND on my parents. They're footing my bills the least I can do is wear some dead follicles on my scalp the way they want me to.

I'd be like yes sir, yes ma'am.:salute:

I'd hate to have you reporting back to this thread from the public library cuz yo asz is homeless. LOL

ETA: Forbee my mom just asked for your parents phone number so she could talk to your parents LOLOLOLOL she says that she'd throw up the deuces like Naturalista and Keeny. It's funny how she raised me and has such a different opinion.

@CE and you. I don't disagree with you guys and like I said, if she's dependent on them etc then it puts her in a position where she ultimately has no power. Even if she wanted to choose her hair it's irrelevant if she's fully dependent. That being said, it's hard to have this conversation with such a moot point. She'll toss the deuce when she's able to.

And your professor is wrong. It's not negative debt like credit cards. Student loans (ESP federal), house notes, and car notes are good debt. Of course, if you don't pay on time anything can turn negative.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list