giving into silicones?!

oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Registered Users Posts: 640
Ahh I'm doing a bad, bad thing...

But I found a smoothing serum I loooove. It makes my hair feel phenomenal. But, of course, full of 'cones.

How bad, exactly, is this? I low-poo with Renpure which contains coca betaine, which will remove it...
whurly girly (2C/3A).
thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!

Comments

• CheetaraCheetara Registered Users Posts: 2,182 Curl Neophyte
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I regularly use cones and I alternate between low poo and regular SLS poo.

Remember, you don't have to be CG to be a natural wavy and participate on this site. This is not curlygirl.com. This is naturally curly! You can embrace your natural texture and still use sulfates and cones, in my opinion.

CG isn't the only way to care for your hair. It's just the most popular method on this site. Go ahead and use those cones if they work for you!
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    Cones aren't evil, they just don't work for everyone. You have to do what's right for YOU. I alternate between no cones and cones depending on mood, etc, and that's actually the main reason I remain modified CG.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Registered Users Posts: 640
    Cheetara wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I regularly use cones and I alternate between low poo and regular SLS poo.

Remember, you don't have to be CG to be a natural wavy and participate on this site. This is not curlygirl.com. This is naturally curly! You can embrace your natural texture and still use sulfates and cones, in my opinion.

CG isn't the only way to care for your hair. It's just the most popular method on this site. Go ahead and use those cones if they work for you!

Thank you:) That makes me feel better! I just worry about them making my hair look awful again... we'll see what happens!
    whurly girly (2C/3A).

Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • loremipsumloremipsum Registered Users Posts: 162 Curl Novice
    As long as you can rinse them out, I see no problem. I think the only reason most of us avoid cones is because we're not using a cleanser that can dissolve them, not because they're inherently bad for hair.

I didn't know about coca betaine being able to remove them though. I thought only sulfates achieved that. If this is true it would be great--a whole world of styling products would open up to me!

Which Renpure do you use, btw? I like my No Poo but it's so expensive. Once I run out I think I'd like to try something cheaper.
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    The ladies are right! If it works for your hair then it works for your hair.

One thing to remember, though. The silicone product does not make your hair better. It makes it feels as if your hair is better.

An example that makes sense to me is my husband who builds race cars. He can take a nasty, dried out car part and lube it up with an Armour-All (silicone) type product and it will give it a momentary look and feel of restoration but it is the silicone that I see and feel. The part is not actually restored. That is what cones do to and for our hair.

I hear a LOT of people comment how much the Moroccan Oil (brown bottle, turquoise colored label) serum improved their hair. It is all cones with a few drops of actual Argan Oil. It gives the illusion of silky hair but it is the silicone that is felt. The hair, again, is not actually restored.

You know your hair best so if it looks and feels at its' best you will know and be happiest!!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
    You all have very good points! Thanks for your advice. I always get so anxious when doing something different to my hair.

Rymorg- Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. Just use whatever I feel like :)
    Loremipsum- As far as I know, coca betaine removes cones! I've heard that around here a lot. :) I use the red bottle of renpure. I love it!
    JAJC- That's a very interesting point! You're very right! Nothing compares to how great my hair can feel after a DT. It just feels healthy. There's definitely a difference.
    whurly girly (2C/3A).

• wavysuewavysue Registered Users Posts: 363

But I found a smoothing serum I loooove. It makes my hair feel phenomenal. But, of course, full of 'cones.

How bad, exactly, is this? I low-poo with Renpure which contains coca betaine, which will remove it...
    product name? ingredients?
    2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
    CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
    CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE:compress:
    Love all SS products
    Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
    AG MousseGel
    BRHG
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Low poos can remove some cones. This link says which cleansers remove which cones.
    What's the Scoop on Silicones?
    My renpure has an A-cone at the end of the list. I use another low poo once a month, so I don't worry about it building up.
    I use an A-cone in my heat protectant. I don't trust cone free heat protectants.

If I lived someplace where they had high dews often, I'd have to use cones. My hair frizzes up in high dews and I can't seal (makes my hair oily).
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    wavysue wrote: »

product name? ingredients?

AHEM. Ditto. You're gonna tell us how great this product is and not say what it is???:sad5:
    Can't get ingredients on my phone :( Sorry guys! But I'm using Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Balm and Kenra Styling Creme? Vague name. I like them a lot though!! They really did smoothe my hair a LOT. My hair frizzes without gel almost always, but it's surprisingly soft and shiny. It also did turn my 3A hair into more 2B (pretty loose waves!) which was my goal. All-in-all great products if you're looking to fight frizz! And trust me, my hair is very difficult to please! ;):p

I may rotate them around with other products. But I will say - my hair looks awesome today! I'll put up pictures tomorrow. :p
    whurly girly (2C/3A).

Also- pedaheh- which one do you use?! Please tell me it's not the red one! I will be SO cranky at me if I missed that 'cone on the ingredients list :P

That's one thing that confuses me, also - how do products with both sulfates and cones work? Do the sulfates stop the cones from coating the hair? Or do the cones weaken the stripping effects of the sulfates? Or do they act at separate times, not concurrently? I am so fascinated by ingredients lately!
    whurly girly (2C/3A).

• pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Also- pedaheh- which one do you use?! Please tell me it's not the red one! I will be SO cranky at me if I missed that 'cone on the ingredients list :P

That's one thing that confuses me, also - how do products with both sulfates and cones work? Do the sulfates stop the cones from coating the hair? Or do the cones weaken the stripping effects of the sulfates? Or do they act at separate times, not concurrently? I am so fascinated by ingredients lately!

I won't tell you then.:reindeer:

*whispers* it's the red one
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • curlyevcurlyev Registered Users Posts: 248 Curl Novice
    See, I loved the a-cone, it was the one I couldn't give up...but...I had to. It builds up in my hair and won't rinse out completely without sulfate shampoo. As soon as I stopped using it my hair had absolutely NO flakes of any kind. It has taken a lot of adjusting to switch to a mousse with no cones, but finally my hair looks better. If certain cones don't bother you, go for it. It's whatever works for you. Sometimes it's frustrating! ;)
    -3A, fine, very thick, normal por., normal elast., long, dye-free (CG since Nov. '11)
    -Low Poo: Cantu TXTR Apple Cider Vinegar+Tea Tree Soothing Shampoo (experimenting, but loving so far)
    -RO: GVP The Detangler
    LI: Curls Blueberry Bliss Reparative Leave-In Conditioner (experimenting, but loving so far)
    -Deep Conditioning: Garnier Fructis Smoothing Treat 3-in-1 Hair Mask+Avocado
    -Styling: Not Your Mother's Curl Talk Defining Cream (LALSG has been my go to for years, but I'm experimenting right now)
    *I have learned that sometimes less is more when it comes to my hair*

• ChikyuuChikyuu Registered Users Posts: 268
    I remember being absolutely in love with PM's skinny serum before going CG. But I gave it up and gave it to a straight friend =P
    PhoneCurtainScale.jpgPhoneFrontScale.jpgWEbcamHaircutscale.jpg
    2c or something MODCG Since December 2011!
    New May 20th Routine
    Low-poo:SheaM
    Co-wash:VO5 KiwiLime or VanillaMint
    LI:TN, Regis OliveOil Condish, GVP CB
    Styler: LALSG
    Daily routine: Cleanse, LI, soak with water, scrunch in gel, plop, pixie diffuse, air dry.

I have this article somewhere... About how sulfate shampoos with silicones in them do deposit silicone on your hair. But after 5 or 6 washings, no more accumulates - it's like your hair gets "saturated" for 'cone binding sites. And a silicone-free sulfate or cocamidopropyl betaine shampoo will remove around 90% of the silicone residue if you feel your hair is getting weighed down.
    If you have ever gotten oil on your hands and then washed them - only to realize they're still oily and you need to wash them again - that's how silicones deposit on your hair, even though they're in shampoo. "Oil shampooing" works the same way - mix oil into your shampoo and the oil deposits on your hair as well as shampoo and doesn't rinse completely away.
    curlyev - Very true! I haven't really ever noticed any build-up in my hair. Surprising, since it's low porosity. I think even though it may be hard to wet at first in the shower, once it is wet, anything I put in sinks in and is ok. We'll see how these rather siliconey serums fair when it comes time to wash them out.

Chikyuu - Sorry I haven't PMed you back! I keep getting distracted :( Anyways, I loved it in my pre-CG days too! It made my hair very sleek.

IAgirl - That's very interesting! :o It makes a lot of sense. Something I also don't understand is how shampoo, which is applied to my roots, gets silicones out of the ENDS of my hair which is where I mostly put the cones. If that makes sense. I mean, the shampoo only rinses over it for a second.
    whurly girly (2C/3A).

Here's a page with more than you probably wanted to know about how surfactants clean: Chemical Functional Definitions - Surfactants Good drawings. Love that.
    So long as the surfactant/shampoo has contact with your wet hair, it doesn't necessarily need a lot of agitation. I remember a dish washing liquid TV commercial where they used to drop one drop of the dish soap into greasy pans and the grease would disperse instantly. Kinda like that. Some silicone is probably left behind. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, silicones are going to protect your hair from drying out and prevent tangles and friction.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file