CG, I bid thee farewell

I loved CG, loved it. My curls came back to life and the frizz and dryness was gone. But after that first week or two of initial bliss my hair started defying me again. It became frizzy, droopy, not dry, but dull. Maybe I over moisturized it? So I tried adding low poos, nope. Protein? Still no. Heavy oils, mineral oil, petrolatum? Better, but was missing that bounce. Even a moisturizing sulfate poo-uh uh. And then I discovered Kinky Curly and viola! Perfect bouncy, shiny, soft corkscrews and ringlets! I used the trio (come clean+knot todat+curling custard) and haven't looked back since.

Sent from my "smart" phone.
3a
medium/thick
Loves protein and oils

Low-poo: MopTop gentle shampoo
Co-wash: CJDF, Jessicurl Aloeba
RO: Jessicurl Too Shea, MopTop daily conditioner, CJ rehab, CJ strengthening
LI: ^^^
DT: Jessicurl WDT, SS Deeply Decadent
PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 min
Oils: argan, sweet almond, jessicurl oil blend
Stylers: SS firm hold, SS curl enhancing jelly, Kiss My Face Upper Management gel, AG Recoil

Comments

• RonnieajRonnieaj Registered Users Posts: 304
    Can I ask, what is it in the Kinky Curly products that's not CG? I thought (and lord knows I could be wrong) that it essentially meant staying away from cones and sulfates, which I thought KC didn't have. Just curious.

TIA!
  • wholelottalovewholelottalove Registered Users Posts: 168
    Ronnieaj wrote: »
    Can I ask, what is it in the Kinky Curly products that's not CG? I thought (and lord knows I could be wrong) that it essentially meant staying away from cones and sulfates, which I thought KC didn't have. Just curious.

TIA!

Well the fact I use a shampoo (come clean) makes it not CG. KCKT and KCCC are CG friendly. Although since the shampoo is sulfate free I guess you could technically call it mod CG. I always thought CG meant strictly co washing, but if not than KC is 100% CG friendly. I guess the title of this post should be goodbye co washing, lol.

Sent from my "smart" phone.
    3a
    medium/thick
    Loves protein and oils

Low-poo: MopTop gentle shampoo
    Co-wash: CJDF, Jessicurl Aloeba
    RO: Jessicurl Too Shea, MopTop daily conditioner, CJ rehab, CJ strengthening
    LI: ^^^
    DT: Jessicurl WDT, SS Deeply Decadent
    PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 min
    Oils: argan, sweet almond, jessicurl oil blend
    Stylers: SS firm hold, SS curl enhancing jelly, Kiss My Face Upper Management gel, AG Recoil
  • RonnieajRonnieaj Registered Users Posts: 304
    Hey I trust your definition a heck of a lot more than I trust my own :D. Glad that the products are working well for you. I think I need to revisit the Come Clean.
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    Yep. You are saying goodbye to COC (Conditioner Only Cleansing). Unless you are adding back in sulfates and silicones (and that would be just fine, just not CG) then you are still very much CG.

That gets confused A LOT on these boards. Used to be that the Curly Girl book suggested COC but now LowPoo (sulfate and silicone free shampoos) is perfectly acceptable.

CG is really about treating your hair the very best that you can. Like a cashmere sweater. With the kindest products and no chemical manipulation.

I am a CG purist. No sulfates and no silicones-even water soluble ones but I cannot COC AT ALL. I LowPoo every other day.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm also a huge fan of Come Clean. I use it once a week before my PT and DT. I rotate in a milder low-poo one other time during the week and co-wash the rest of the time (2nd day hair only happens about once a week for me just because of a super-intense workout schedule). COC just isn't for everyone- Justajesuschick was awesome enough to clarify COC vs CG for me back when I first considered making the switch. If not for that I probably wouldn't have lasted through the first week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file