We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

How long after your big chop did you curls finally settle in?

Runna4LifeRunna4Life Posts: 112Registered Users
It's been 1 month since my big chop, and I just feel like I'm never going to get a uniform curl

Comments

• shay8916shay8916 Posts: 11Registered Users
    It took my hair 2 months. And even now 5 months after my big choose my hair is getting curlier

Sent from my LG-P925 using CurlTalk App
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    It's hard to answer since everyone's texture is different. In my case, it took about two months, but in yours, your texture may not change at all. Or it could take longer.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    For me it took about a day. When I first cut it, it seemed like my hair was a bit "shocked" then after a couple of conditions, it seemed to settle in.

I'm on a boat.
    People should be willing to stand by the things they say. Or they shouldn't say them. If your opinion can't stand in the light of day...maybe it should stay in the dark...in your head?

- AmberBrown
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users
    I don't think anyone has uniform curls but my hair fully settled in after 2 weeks
  • Raina71Raina71 Posts: 58Registered Users
    My curls didn't come in until I cut off the scab hair... I have a mixture of 4a 3c

Sent from my SCH-I510 using CurlTalk App
  • Curlyhope98Curlyhope98 Posts: 3Registered Users
    As soon as I cut my hair it immediately curled up but I heard a different from other people.
  • greenjumpergreenjumper Posts: 891Registered Users
    First, by uniform do you mean all the same size, shrinkage, and everything? If so, most people have different curl patterns on one head, so that might not ever happen unless you manipulate whichever section is not uniform.

My hair gets curlier and curlier as it grows. I think I don't really have any "root curl" (a problem usually associated with looser curlies, I guess that is an example where hair typing just isn't an airtight system) I didn't really have curls until about 2 months in. My hair was actually some weird form of kinky straight....:goofy:

Also, My hair is much more curly when it is moisturized, so that might be your problem as well.
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    immediately.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • Runna4LifeRunna4Life Posts: 112Registered Users
    First, by uniform do you mean all the same size, shrinkage, and everything? If so, most people have different curl patterns on one head, so that might not ever happen unless you manipulate whichever section is not uniform.

My hair gets curlier and curlier as it grows. I think I don't really have any "root curl" (a problem usually associated with looser curlies, I guess that is an example where hair typing just isn't an airtight system) I didn't really have curls until about 2 months in. My hair was actually some weird form of kinky straight....:goofy:

Also, My hair is much more curly when it is moisturized, so that might be your problem as well.

when I mean uniform, I mean just in a curl shape i guess. The hair in the back of my hair is MUCH curlier than in the front. I think in the front, I have scab hair because it's just weird.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    After I made sure all of the relaxed ends were gone. I did not get them all off initially when I BC'd so my hair was really weird and frizzy looking. I went in again with some scissors and that solved my problem.
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    2 years.

Seems like a long time huh, well honestly I didnt big chop. I little chopped and eventually had 6 inches of natural hair after. I didnt know my hair could curl because I consistently kept it stretched via twistouts, twists, and braids for 2 years.

One day I was lazy , and left the conditioner in lol

I will say the more my moisture levels are on point the better curl definition I have.
  • greenjumpergreenjumper Posts: 891Registered Users
    afrochika wrote: »

when I mean uniform, I mean just in a curl shape i guess. The hair in the back of my hair is MUCH curlier than in the front. I think in the front, I have scab hair because it's just weird.

Oh, well in that case, you might never get a uniform curl. My curls in the back are much tighter than in the front. That's just the way the cookie crumbles. :-)

Scab hair is a possibility I guess....if so you just have to play the waiting game until it grows out.
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    1st bc i didn't pay attention.

i did a fade for my 2nd bc. my hair was straight as it grew out. i didn't get curls until about 3 or 4 months (if that). my hair constantly changes as it grows. maybe yours will too.

i wouldn't be so concerned about a curl. some people have straight hair, others have waves, still more have no curls. i would just ensure my hair was properly moisturized and my scalp cleansed.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    yeah, I DO need to focus of moisturizing. I have so much trouble keeping my hair moisturized. I need like a super moisturizer!
    And does anyone know why hair gets curlier when I'm out on a cold day?
    It's cold where I live and my hair gets really curly when I'm outside for a couple of minutes.
  • ebonyrose31626ebonyrose31626 Posts: 253Registered Users
    lol Never
    4c wiry thick nappy low porosity hair
    Poo: SM black soap
    Rise out/Detangler:
    DC/: Avocado+ oil + Honey
    Spritz: Oyin J&B :love10:
    Moisturizer: OH Dew
    Sealant:BSP/Bask tapioca cream
  • moodydovemoodydove Posts: 1,721Registered Users
    When I cut all of the heat damage off and got it properly moisturized. It's different for everybody though.
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay
  • happynappyhappyhappynappyhappy Posts: 122Registered Users
    Three months

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlTalk App
    4a in the top of my head/3c in the back of my head
    Last relaxer July 1st ,2011 :happy2:
    Big chop September 30th ,2011 :angry5:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FNaturalafrochick%3Ffeature%3Dguide" class="Popup
    follow me on twitter @Naturalafrochic

showing off my twa for now!!

uawe6vf1c.png
    ziwjh0re4.png
    i will most likely go back to get all the relaxed ends off. But when? i feel it will be easier to tell what's natural hair once it's longer and more NG grows out
  • happyfacehappyface Posts: 845Registered Users
    I wore a fade for the first two years i was natural. But my hair started to curl once i grew it out to about an inch long.
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,748Registered Users Curl Novice
    I didnt BC but when my hair grew back I didnt see any "curls" for the first 1/2 months. It was just this weird wavy style, then after it was longer than an inch it started to curl over.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users
    *cough* I was adamant that my hair couldn't/didn't/wouldn't curl because I detangled my hair everytime I wet/washed it and then kept it stretched, both things which destroy my natural curl pattern.
    I looked at my naked wet hair for the first time quite 'late' (some months after the chop) and realised I had curls. I attributed it to amla when I first did it, but really, my hair has probably always been very tightly curled, I was just hyped up on that 4c, zero curl pattern flex. Lol! Tbh, it was only recently after I read a thread about detangling destroying someone's curls on here and did a proper wash and go where I actually washed or rinsed, conditioned, shook like a dog and 'went'. Before it had been wash, t-shirt dry, detangle, condition, pick out fro and go, which = zero curls.
    Within the first 2 to 3 months of being 100% natural, I had had a blow out, mutliple henna/Ayurvedic treatments, yarn braids, here and there trims/dusting, many different products/brands testing... My curls probably settled wayyy before I did, but I didn't realise. I'm still yet to try any product to define curls or clump, and have used a finger of QB's gel on a small piece of hair, then promptly put a hat on it because I had to go out, so I haven't used any gels.

As for uniformity - HAH! My curls are NOT uniform, even now.
    - The temples/sides are the coarsest, most tightly curled, driest, shortest, least porous and often most difficult to deal with because when I sleep, it is the sides of my head/hair that get squashed.
    - The front/top is the most visibly curly because the coils are larger, it's finer than the sides and probably more porous, it's either longer, or just seems longer because it's a looser pattern. Usually henna/hibiscus shows up the most here.
    - The crown is some weirdness that I still haven't figured out, semi-coarse, kinky but straight, frizzy, rough feeling, as long as the front, but shrinks twice as much. I guess, reading what I've just written, it's just more porous than the front. Interestingly, I always miss this part of my head when applying product, including henna, so maybe it's just neglected!
    - The nape/back is also loose and kinky straight, but finer again, smooth, longish and doesn't shrink, tangles the most, mainly because it rubs on collars, scarves, etc.
    - All of it is dense, swallows up parting and destroys clips and combs.
    - I love it.

And that's the story of my hair! :D
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • CSICSI Posts: 140Registered Users
    It took me about 8-9 months to really see what my hair was like. I would do deep conditioners at least once a week and up to 3 times....I would do henna every week for about a month then once every 3 weeks. I stopped the henna after about a year. I feel that it was the best conditioning for my hair and I could really see my curls responding to the deep conditioning. However, 2 years later, I'm still amazed at my curls. They change so much along the way. Keep it moist and it'll do its thang :)
    the sides of my hair always get squashed when I sleep. That won't cause damage will it?
  • happynappyhappyhappynappyhappy Posts: 122Registered Users
    the sides of my hair always get squashed when I sleep. That won't cause damage will it?
    I hope not. But let me know cus my hair always get smashed while sleeping

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlTalk App
    4a in the top of my head/3c in the back of my head
    Last relaxer July 1st ,2011 :happy2:
    Big chop September 30th ,2011 :angry5:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FNaturalafrochick%3Ffeature%3Dguide" class="Popup
    follow me on twitter @Naturalafrochic

showing off my twa for now!!

uawe6vf1c.png
    ziwjh0re4.png
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    I big chopped Xmas Eve, but I did leave a few straight ends on the top. Because I was natural before (starting with less than an inch that time), I know that the hair in the top of my head is a much looser curl than the perimeter of my head. I will be waiting about 2 months before I remove those ends to give my curls a chance to grow in to make sure that what I'm cutting is relaxed hair and not just natural hair that grows in looser than the rest of my hair.
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users
    I wore my hair straight during my transition. About a month after cutting off the relaxed ends, my curl pattern began to settle in to what I remembered it being the last time I went natural. 8-9 months after that I got my first trim, and it got even curlier, but less uniform. Then I put 2-strand twists in, left them for 3 weeks and took them out and now all the curls are more uniform.

Weird, but true story lol. My one yr bc anniversary will be next month.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users

No, probably not.

Do you wear a sleep cap?
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    When I washed my hair the next day

Curse you iPhone!!!
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!

Leave a Comment