Giovanni as a Kinky Curly Knot Today Substitute

ss40ss40 Posts: 1,790Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Is Giovanni direct LI or Giovanni smooth as silk deeper moisture conditioner a good substitute for Kinky Curly Knot Today? I found the giovanni products on the ground for $6 less than kckt but I was wondering which Giovanni condish is better as an LI.

Trying to save $ is one of my new year resolutions.
:nike:About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids

Comments

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know if Giovanni products are a good sub for it or not..I liked Knot Today okay ..but I sure as heck didn't see the big deal enough to pay no 11 shekels a bottle!

But I have used both the Giovannis you mentioned. I would says the Direct Leave-In is not as moisturizing as Knot Today. I think it's great if the hair needs a balance between moisture and protein. I LOVE Giovanni's Smooth As Silk Conditioner.. it's very moisturizing, makes the hair soft, and has a decent slip..not as much slip as Knot Today though. But good. I don't know..when I've used Smooth as Silk..it's really made my hair seriously.."smooth". Just calmed it or something. Love it!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • ss40ss40 Posts: 1,790Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you Marah. I realized that $12 a bottle is too much for something that I use so much. I need more smoothness (if thats a word) than slip. I have thick hair with normal porosity. It loves moisture so the smooth as silk may be better than kckt.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome.

Well it (the Smooth As Silk) certainly was better for my hair (medium thick & high porosity) and my wallet. I would say just get one bottle and try it out (if you like it a lot Vitacost.com has great prices on it..better than I've seen almost anywhere and I buy it in bulk from there..plus shipping is a flat rate)..see if it's what you are looking for...if I was hard pressed to name an inexpensive sub that actually worked better for my hair than KCKT is the Tresemme Naturals (the moisturizing one with the green stripe on the bottle). Plus you can get a HUGE bottle of the stuff for cheap. It works very well for detangling for me and offers the proper amount of slip. I even use it for a leave-in..never dried my hair out at all.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • curlyberrycurlyberry Posts: 549Registered Users
    Imo the smooth as silk & direct leave-in feel the same to me. I like the ingredients more in the leave-in though, and I think the leave-in provides more slip for me (owns both).
    Type 4, fine/high density, high porosity
    Last Relaxer - March '11
    BC - August '11

Fall/Winter PRODUCTS

Clarifier - Paul Mitchell Three Low-poos - BoBeam Conditioners - TJ Nourish Spa, CJRM!, Co-Wash - N/A, Leave-Ins - N/A, Moisturizers - Afroveda Coco Latte, QBCTDG, CR Moisture Butter, Sealants/Stylers - Any BASK butters and creams, Jane Carter N&S, QBATB
    Thanks.
    I will try smooth as silk then the LI & see what works. Either seems to be a good replacement at this point. But I'm leaning toward the SAS
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i love the smooth as silk. the direct leave-in feels like nothing. may as well just have used water (imho).
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The kckt feels water like. I think whats missing from the giovanni SAS is the mallow root for slip. I may even combine the LI with the SAS to get the added slip effect. I'm no chemist but I'll try anything logical once. I can buy both giovanni products for the price of one bottle of kckt.
  • applesandafrosapplesandafros Posts: 328Registered Users
    I don't know anything about knot today, but it depends what your hair likes if you're choosing between the leave in and smooth as silk.
    If your hair likes a lot of moisture the sas is for you.
    If your hair likes light products the leave in good and smooth as silk could be used as a dc. That's how I use the two the products.
    Almost MBL Coils
    spongy, low porosity, dense awesomeness

Shampoo: Curly Kinks Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out/Detangler Conditioner: Aussie Moist, V05 Strawberries and Cream, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave in Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Styler: Eco Styler Krystal and Blue, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel and Flax seed gel
    Sealer: Grape seed oil
    Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie Repair Me
    Protein Treatment: Karishma and Jamilla Henna
  • naturalnewbnaturalnewb Posts: 193Registered Users
    The giovanni leave-in is INCREDIBLY light--it really will feel like you're putting absolutely nothing on your hair at all. That said, I have used it under a heavy sealer and it lasted for a few days (which surprised me). If you like KCKT for its detangling abilities, the giovanni leave-in will not be up to par.

As for the SAS, I own it but shelved it for cheaper conditioners with more slip (I tend to go through a boatload of conditioner). I have never used it as a leave-in.

I'm actually on the hunt for something comparable to KCKT for my niece (moisturizer + detangler). I'm content to do my detangling with my RO conditioner once a week...however, her mom would need something that she could use on a daily basis. Anyone have recommendations?
    Do those of you who use the Giovanni Smooth as Silk use it as a LI?
  • suns4i6esuns4i6e Posts: 77Registered Users
    Interesting. Contrary to other posters, I've found Giovanni Direct LI very moisturizing for my strands. I by far prefer it over Knot Today.
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    +1...I found the Giovanni Direct Leave In to be a great moisturizer. Maybe it's because my hair has normal porosity, I dunno.
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado
    I'm deep conditioning with Smooth as Silk now. I love the way it feels when applying it to my hair. I am going to keep it in through my workout session and then rinse it out. I worry that the alcohol may be drying if I use it as a leave in but I'll find out some time in the near future. I had to use a lot though.
    Didn't go so well for me with the SAS. I think my hair is sensitive to alcohol when its high on the ingredient list. It made my hair soft but when my hair dried it was a little too rough. I will try the giovanni direct leave in with my SM curl & style milk next week.
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wouldn't have thought that Cetyl alcohol is the type of 'alcohol' that would be drying. Isn't it just fat or something*?

*ignorance :confused5:
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm surprised at all the people who dislike Direct Leave In. It's just about the only leave in that I get consistently fantastic results with. It's moisturizing and makes my hair super shiny and it's not like I'm working with silk threads here. My hair is thick, coarse, and dries out easily.

I even discovered a few years ago after I got caught in the rain, that I can even refresh the product by spritzing my hair with water.

Chalk it up to the fact that not everything works for everybody (my hair hates any type of oil for example).

Sent from The Brick
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
    I wouldn't have thought that Cetyl alcohol is the type of 'alcohol' that would be drying. Isn't it just fat or something*?

It is fatty but I typucally see it lower on the ingredient list (or not all) for other products I use. Something in the SAS isn't working well when my hair dries. Maybe even the citrus ingredients? It could be too light altogether. Heavy products work well in my hair. I used a lot of the kckt in my hair. Thats part of the reason I want a cheaper LI. The direct may work well for me. Or the tea tree triple threat even. Trial & Error I guess.
    sienna40 wrote: »

It is fatty but I typucally see it lower on the ingredient list (or not all) for other products I use. Something in the SAS isn't working well when my hair dries. Maybe even the citrus ingredients? It could be too light altogether. Heavy products work well in my hair. I used a lot of the kckt in my hair. Thats part of the reason I want a cheaper LI. The direct may work well for me. Or the tea tree triple threat even. Trial & Error I guess.
    all of those extracts and such you typically see leading to cetyl alcohol (or any fatty alcohol) is because they are part of the liquid solution used in the water phase.

cetyl alcohol is much much cheaper than btms. i prefer btms but there are some products with cetyl alcohol i actually like (trader joe nourish spa, elucence [listed as hexadecanol], tigi moisture maniac and tigi oatmeal, elasta qp intense).

it could be your hair just didn't like sas as a leave-in.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    also, if you have access to a BJ's, they have their own in-house versions of many products used in the salons. they have this one but darn it i can't remember the name that was uber thick and creamy. it was a blue color and was a knock off of some famous brand.

sam's might even have the same deals.

have you tried kenra products? this is an uber thick and creamy condish. it's found on the ground in trade secret stores. they frequently have bogo sales. i really think tresseme naturals is quite comparable to kckt (in fact i liked it better than kckt)?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Marah mentioned tresseme. I will look into it if the direct LI falls short. Thanks for all the help.
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I think Tresemme Naturals works much better than the Giovanni leave-in. However, I find the Tresemme doesn't play well with a lot of other products. Sometimes it leave whities in my hair, especially if I use a gel.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file