Toxic Friendship?

HappiHappi Posts: 14Registered Users
My friend and I have been friends for about 6 years. And she has been a really great friend throughout the way. Our friendship blossomed because we had a mutual friend who was treating us both like crap and we found support in eachother. She's always been the leader, but now I'm getting sick of our relationship's setup. I have grown as a person and I'm not okay with being someone's shadow. And I feel like she kind of expects me to follow her orders and follow her around. However, I am much more comfortable having the ability to walk off by myself if I need to or switch from talking to one person to talking to another. But, she expects me to stay by her side or go everywhere with her :/. I feel like we are wayy to close. Some people think that we're dating! I neeed my space. And she definitely dominates the conversations. All we ever talk about now is her weight, her diet, and her friends in a band. If we talk about anything else it ends up being related to those things... If I have a problem we talk about it, but only for a little while. If she has a problem it's ALL we talk about. And it gets to the point where I feel like her problems are mine; her friends are mine; and her life is mine. Also, some of the things she says and does is making me give her the side eye. Some of it comes off as rude and it's like she doesn't care about me :/. What do you guys think I should do? I'm really confused because she's one of my main good friends at school; she is there when I need her and I think it'd be awkward if we stopped being friends. But, I am sooo sick of feeling like I'm dating her or like we're connected at the hip. I'm not that girl anymore.

By the way...if it helps with advice.. I'm a Junior in high school and we have been friends since sixth grade (:

Comments

• IAmJordanNicoleIAmJordanNicole Posts: 784Registered Users
    It just sounds like the two of you have grown apart. Or you've grown away from her atleast. I don't think you need to stop being friends, maybe you just need to stop being so available when she wants you around or when she needs to talk...have you expressed these concerns? That could honestly go either way depending on her personality. She may or may not take the discussion well. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with you taking time away from her to do your own thing.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • HappiHappi Posts: 14Registered Users
    It just sounds like the two of you have grown apart. Or you've grown away from her atleast. I don't think you need to stop being friends,aye you jut need to stop Wong so available when she wants you around or when she needs to talk...have you expressed these concerns? That could honestly go either way depending on her personality. She may or may not take the discussion well. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with you taking time away from her to do your own thing.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Thanks for replying (:
    She can be really understanding. So, I think she might take it okay depending on how I word it D: I just don't know how to say it without coming across as a jerk/whiney.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Happi, I don't know what to say at all, so I am just posting that I hope others closer to your age chime in and give you some good advice. Good luck with this!

You don't sound whiney or like a jerk at all to me.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • HappiHappi Posts: 14Registered Users
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Happi, I don't know what to say at all, so I am just posting that I hope others closer to your age chime in and give you some good advice. Good luck with this!

You don't sound whiney or like a jerk at all to me.

Ohh well thank you! :^D and pheww I'm glad I don't. I wanted to get my point across without being immature :P.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file