Should I look for a new eye doctor?

cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've had to wear glasses or contacts for most of my life for astigmatism and nearsightedness. Well at least I'm supposed to, my vision problems are more of an mild inconvenience than anything, so I haven't always. My original doctor who I saw for most of my life always said my biggest problem was astigmatism and nearsightedness was minor. Well he retired and I slacked on getting a new doctor for several years.

I've been to two different doctors since, and I'm not satisfied with the results. They have both said the exact opposite, that my astigmatism is not worth correcting, it's my distance vision that's a problem. I disagree. I'm still not seeing that clearly. That crispness is not there. No matter what they changed it to on that machine, it was still fuzzy. I complain, they say that's the best they can do.

I used to always wear contacts, but I've gave up on them the last few years. I could see ok looking at things far away (letters still fuzzy), but up close I couldn't' see ****. I have NEVER had a problem seeing things up close. Things were very blurry. My eyes kept going in and out of focus. And it was almost like I had blind spots. I could see something was there, but I'd have to move my head around to find a clearer spot in my vision. Trying to read a book or my computer was nearly impossible. I could only handle them for a few hours before I'd have to take them out.

At the follow up, I was basically told my eyes were being lazy. They said that because I went without for a while my eyes were not used to having to refocus and I should just wait it out. I asked about the adjusting for astigmatism, they said it wasn't the problem. Well it was really ****ing annoying and disorienting and I didn't feel like messing with it. By that time, I had already put up with them for a week. I tried a little longer, but I couldn't do it. I got some cute glasses that I loved, so I let it go. I get eye strain from reading with my glasses, but it's a lot easier to deal with than the contacts.

I really want to go back to using contacts. I'm worried about the same problems. After two doctors, I'm starting to question how reasonable I'm being. I know they can't fix everything, but I would think with "just a mild case nearsightedness" I would have to put up with fuzziness and all the other crap. I still have to squint sometimes with my glasses, and that doesn't help all the time. Every time I brought up astigmatism I kept hearing, it's not bad enough or it wouldn't' help.

The last one seemed nice and helpful otherwise. He might have worked with me more for all I know, but I kinda felt like he was politely blowing me off. But now I wonder if I was seeing something that wasn't there.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's probably time to see an opthamologist, rather than an optometrist or an optician.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's probably time to see an opthamologist, rather than an optometrist or an optician.

I agree with this.

My astigmatism in my left eye is bad enough that contacts don't correct me as well as glasses do (-2.75 3 years ago). If I'm off, everything is fuzzy no matter what the distance. I get the most precise care from an ophthalmologist.

Siri types my posts for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • IAmJordanNicoleIAmJordanNicole Posts: 784Registered Users
    I'm not sure how old you are, but it sounds like you may have presbyopia. Basically it means that you need bifocals. It's like, if they fix the distance it messes with the close stuff.

Eyes do change all of the time and it's not uncommon for an astigmatism to fix itself over time. If I were you I would try a new doctor. When you go, make sure that they check the script that I in your glasses so he/she can compare it to their findings.

Btw, I used to work in an optometrist office and am still a certified optician...for a few more months atleast...

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Just an aside...

I need distance correction, and am at an age (which can happen anytime after 30) when correcting my vision for distance with contacts completely effed up my close vision. I don't need reading glasses yet, but when I'm wearing contacts, I certainly do need them. I tried the multi-focal lenses...didn't work for me, as they don't for 50% of all people.

Solution?

The eye doc suggested I try just wearing one contact lens and let my brain figure it out. Perfect. I wear one lens in my weaker eye, and I see really well, distance and close.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't think I need bifocals. I have no problems seeing up close without correction. I can read very small fonts from several feet away without my glasses. But if I put my glasses on, it becomes a little fuzzy and makes my eyes hurt. The only good my glasses do is let me read at a distance slightly better than I can without, but it's still fuzzy. Everything is fuzzy when I look through my glasses. It's like they bumped up the power rather than give me something for astigmatism.

My calendar has all black numbers on it. When I look at it from 15 feet away without glasses, I see black, various shades of grey, and some barely noticeable off-white areas where there should be numbers. So I'm pretty sure I still have astigmatism.
    cympreni wrote: »
    I don't think I need bifocals. I have no problems seeing up close without correction. I can read very small fonts from several feet away without my glasses. But if I put my glasses on, it becomes a little fuzzy and makes my eyes hurt. The only good my glasses do is let me read at a distance slightly better than I can without, but it's still fuzzy. Everything is fuzzy when I look through my glasses. It's like they bumped up the power rather than give me something for astigmatism.

My calendar has all black numbers on it. When I look at it from 15 feet away without glasses, I see black, various shades of grey, and some barely noticeable off-white areas where there should be numbers. So I'm pretty sure I still have astigmatism.

Bifocals are use when correcting your distance effects your close vision so you could still need them. As far as the astigmatism, even a slight astigmatism should be corrected in your glasses. Contacts tend to be less exact and astigmatism isn't usually corrected unless it is severe. Do you have a copy of your script? If so I could tell you what to look for and whether or not there was an astigmatism correction on it.

Bifocals are use when correcting your distance effects your close vision so you could still need them. As far as the astigmatism, even a slight astigmatism should be corrected in your glasses. Contacts tend to be less exact and astigmatism isn't usually corrected unless it is severe. Do you have a copy of your script? If so I could tell you what to look for and whether or not there was an astigmatism correction on it.

I dont' have them anymore I only remember the first number, -1.75. That part has never changed. My original doctor used to give me a separate prescription for each of my eyes because there was a slight difference in my nearsightedness, and I used the first number to tell which was which. I already know they weren't for astigmatism because they told me there was no need to even try it.

I dont' have them anymore I only remember the first number, -1.75. That part has never changed. My original doctor used to give me a separate prescription for each of my eyes because there was a slight difference in my nearsightedness, and I used the first number to tell which was which. I already know they weren't for astigmatism because they told me there was no need to even try it.

If there was more than one number for each eye, ( like this: -1.75 -0.25 -0.75) that means there is a correction for an astigmatism. It could be a slight correction but it's there.

With the newest prescription, there could have been just one number. I didn't get beyond the free trial pair they gave me they were so bad. I only remember that number because it was the same power I had before. But they actually told me they weren't for astigmatism.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Cym, if you can afford it, go to a Board Certified Ophthalmologist that is recommended by any doctor that you trust. Ask the doctor whom he or she would go to if s/he had an eye problem. The good doctors tend to know other good doctors.

What you are experiencing just doesn't sound satisfactory. You should have crystal clear vision unless there is a reason why it can't be corrected to crystal clear, and that reason should be explained to your satisfaction.

If you live in NYC, I can give you a recommendation to an ophthalmologist who is on every best dr. list. Good luck with this and please post back. I'm interested to know the outcome.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    Just an aside...

I need distance correction, and am at an age (which can happen anytime after 30) when correcting my vision for distance with contacts completely effed up my close vision. I don't need reading glasses yet, but when I'm wearing contacts, I certainly do need them. I tried the multi-focal lenses...didn't work for me, as they don't for 50% of all people.

Solution?

The eye doc suggested I try just wearing one contact lens and let my brain figure it out. Perfect. I wear one lens in my weaker eye, and I see really well, distance and close.

This is me. I have mild astigmatism and moderate near-sightedness. And like RCW, I'm at the age where if my distance vision is corrected, it's hard for me to read, even though I can read fine if I don't have on my contacts or glasses. My eye doctor told me that's a sign of presbyopia--if I had 20/20 vision, I'd definitely need reading glasses.

So I wear one contact for distance and a much milder correction for distance in the other eye. Works perfectly. If I'm wearing glasses, I just take them off if I need to read anything.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file