Here's an easy method to create a bun

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
The Sock Bun: How To: The Sock Bun | Beautylish

I'm wearing one now (used a knee-high instead of a sock though) and it works well. Getting a nice, neat bun was always a problem for me. But the other issue was making sure the front of my hair was smooth and not bumpy. I don't know how well the Sock method works for that ...
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    Thanks. I've always wondered what a sock bun was, and I was clearly too lazy to figure it out. So this was really helpful!
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nice!

Sock buns are one of my go-to styles--simple, quick, cute and protective. I do mine on stretched hair (braid-out hair or banded hair) using my hands, flax seed gel and a satin scarf to get a smooth look. I use a satin-covered sock bun form that I made (DIY: Satin Sock Bun for Longer Hair - YouTube) because I like sewing and wanted to reduce any possible breakage and/or moisture loss from hair-to-sock contact. I also made one for my little sister who has chemically straightened hair.

Here are some video tutorials on how to do a sock bun on afro-textured natural hair:
    Tutorial: Sock Bun on Natural Hair - YouTube
    PROTECTIVE STYLE BUNNING : THE SOCK BUN TUTORIAL - YouTube
    P.S. The second bun is done on blow-dried hair.

• Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    Thanks for posting this! I just bookmarked it (the link I mean). Lol. I purchased a few of the doughnut bun makers from the BSS a while ago and they always turned out a hot mess and now I know why! It was because I 1) never secured my hair in a ponytail and 2) I just held my hair and slid the doughnut all the way down to my head and then tried to fan my hair out on all sides and then secure the bun with a ponytail holder. This makes soooo much more sense!

On a side note, after watching the video of making your own silk/satin bun I just might take the ones I purchased from the BSS store and add some silk/satin to them. No point in wasting good socks when I already have a bun maker that just needs some silk/satin sewn onto it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Posts: 301Registered Users
    I have mine in now, because of this thread!
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Dang. Can't wait for more length. I could wear that bun for DAYS!!! :p LoL!

Jen :D

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

http://AfroCurls.wordpress.com
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • honeybrowncandy78honeybrowncandy78 Posts: 88Registered Users
    Starting to think I will never be able to have a puff or a bun. *sighs*

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlTalk App
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^Hey, that's cute!!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for posting this! I just bookmarked it (the link I mean). Lol. I purchased a few of the doughnut bun makers from the BSS a while ago and they always turned out a hot mess and now I know why! It was because I 1) never secured my hair in a ponytail and 2) I just held my hair and slid the doughnut all the way down to my head and then tried to fan my hair out on all sides and then secure the bun with a ponytail holder. This makes soooo much more sense!

On a side note, after watching the video of making your own silk/satin bun I just might take the ones I purchased from the BSS store and add some silk/satin to them. No point in wasting good socks when I already have a bun maker that just needs some silk/satin sewn onto it!

Ohhh...I can see how that wouldn't turn out well. When I do my sock buns I put my hair in a bunnytail (my hair dosen't look like that of a pony), slide the sock bun form down to the base of it, fan my hair around the form, secure the bun with a metal-free hair tie and tuck the "excess" hair under the form/hair tie.

Covering a store-bought bun form with satin seems like a good idea.

• krngi819krngi819 Posts: 4Registered Users
    I love it. I'm all for the DIY thing.
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    Fronomenal wrote: »

Ohhh...I can see how that wouldn't turn out well. When I do my sock buns I put my hair in a bunnytail (my hair dosen't look like that of a pony), slide the sock bun form down to the base of it, fan my hair around the form, secure the bun with a metal-free hair tie and tuck the "excess" hair under the form/hair tie.

Covering a store-bought bun form with satin seems like a good idea.

Yea I figured since I purchased 2 of them I may as well make them as hair friendly as possible. I had actually been trying to do that before w/some of my pantyhose but that didn't work out too well...don't know why it never occurred to me to try silk/satin (hindsight is always 20/20 tho!).

I will also make a few out of my socks as well. I have PLENTY of spare socks laying around bc for some reason I always lose 1 in the wash and then I hold on to it hoping that I will find it and then never do. I might as well put them to some good use and stop waiting for the other to show up!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Posts: 301Registered Users
    I did a high sock bun today. I liked it but it needs improvement. It was done on wet hair- I think i prefer it on damp hair because damp wouldnt take as long to set. I had some fuzzies. Overall I liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file