Furminator

curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm really considering getting furminator for Ed. I'm sure I've read that some posters have these.

I know I need the short hair one but which is the best width for a cat?
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've had one for years. It works great. I have a "small" cat-size one. I'm not sure it's exactly the same as the ones they sell now, but it's probably about 1.5 inches wide.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you think the ones for sale on eBay are the real thing? I can get one from there for £10 but in the pet shop it's £25.

How often do you use it? Has it lead to less shedding?
    I got mine on eBay, and it says Furminator on it, so I think it's authentic. It's impossible to say if every eBay vendor is authentic though.

It doesn't lead to "less" shedding...the cat is still going to shed the amount it's going to shed. The Furminator just gets the hairs out before they hit the floor.

I use it every couple of months. It makes a HUGE mess and it's a pain to clean up. Really. I usually do it outside, because of the mess. I get enough hair off to make several more cats...a virtual billowy mountain of cat hair. I have a long-haireded cat though.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use a small one on Calvin and it's like RCW said, it's like another whole animal comes off him.

It works really well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    Ok I'm ordering it from eBay. I'm strangely looking forward to the amount of fur it's going to pull out.
  • JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We have a generic one from Target and it works great...at half the cost

• mintheminthe Banned Posts: 209Banned Users
    I got a FurBuster. The stores I went to did not have Furminators. I got the smallest size they had. They only had 2, one for dogs, one for cats. I got it at Wal-mart.

My cat is short-haired, but hairball prone. I've never had a short-haired cat I've had to groom. She absolutely hates to be groomed. Some cats love it, some cats don't. I have to groom several times a day because she'll only let me get a few strokes in before she rears back and escapes. Holding her head down with one hand helps but I don't like to fight her too much... it only makes her more agitated. What I do works. It 100% eliminates hairballs. I can't break away from it or else the problem returns. I was using fine tooth comb before, but this thing gets off tons more fur. I don't know if the Furminator is any better, but this works for us.
    ddkodd.jpg2jcfs6t.jpg
    Proud to be Indian-Iranian American

"I'd rather they say they hate Jews than hide behind some stupid bs about them being attacked."
    --Marah Mizrahi (on Middle Eastern relations)
    Oh, my cat HATES being groomed. That's why I only furminate her every couple months. I make my husband hold her down and we get it all done in one fell swoop. She always looks like she lost 10 pounds when we're done.
    I've ordered it from eBay, bit I'm not going to get it for a while because of the long weekend coming up.

Ed loves being brushed up to a point. I think I can brush for about 5 minutes before he suddenly bites and then I have to stop.
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Yes it works. Like RCW, I use it outside. I recently saw these at Ross Dress for Less.
  • snickdogsnickdog Posts: 22Registered Users
    FYI:

The Furminator (and all of its knock-offs) are meant to be a "finishing" tool, rather than a one and only grooming tool. This is especially important if you have a double-coated dog, as it can damage/strip the guard hairs.

If you have a double coated dog (I have 4 Siberians, so twice a year dog hair is a condiment in my house), what you want to do is loosen the undercoat first with a wooden pin brush like this one: Chris Christensen Wood Pin Brushes 20mm - Cherrybrook

Next, use what's called a "greyhound" comb with a flipping wrist motion to bring the undercoat to the top and out, then use the Furminator to get the really fine stuff left behind.

Then, you get something that looks like THIS :wink::
    jo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    * 3a/3b from birth with short forays into chemical/juice can straightening :wink:
    * texture: fine; porosity: normal
    * over 40 (by a bunch); naturally greying
    * Cleanse/Condition: DC NoPoo/OneC
    * PT: IAGirl's PT/Sally GVP Reconstructor
    * Styling: CHS CK: DC SIF; DC A/AA mixed
    * HG:CHS CK
    snickdog wrote: »
    FYI:

The Furminator (and all of its knock-offs) are meant to be a "finishing" tool, rather than a one and only grooming tool. This is especially important if you have a double-coated dog, as it can damage/strip the guard hairs.

If you have a double coated dog (I have 4 Siberians, so twice a year dog hair is a condiment in my house), what you want to do is loosen the undercoat first with a wooden pin brush like this one: Chris Christensen Wood Pin Brushes 20mm - Cherrybrook

Next, use what's called a "greyhound" comb with a flipping wrist motion to bring the undercoat to the top and out, then use the Furminator to get the really fine stuff left behind.

Then, you get something that looks like THIS :wink::

And...that's why I have non-shedding dogs. No undercoat blown twice a year all over my floors. ;)
    My Furminator arrived today. OMG I had no idea Ed had that much fluff. I only managed about 3 minutes of brushing before be got fed up but I was amazed at how much came out.

Ed also kept trying to eat it. :confused3:
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have one of these. I mostly use it when cats tend to shed more during seasonal changes. But I have one cat who sheds a lot more all the time. Her fur is so soft to the touch, it seems she has a thicker undercoat. The furminator (mine's generic) really helps keep her shedding down. She has a love/hate relationship with that thing, wanting to chew on it, wanting to get brushed with it, not wanting it near her. It's kind of comical.
  • kindredspirit1983kindredspirit1983 Posts: 49Registered Users
    Aurora tries to eat the fur when I brush her as well! I have started brushing her while she's eating her food and drinking water, as she hardly notices since she's focused on her food. Weird I know
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Finally uploaded pictures into my profile, woohoo!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file