Dealing with bangs growing out--or should I stay with bangs? Opinions!

fitover40fitover40 Registered Users Posts: 83
Hello wavies! I'm in a quandary. I've always had bangs but with my CG journey I've been wanting to grow them out along with growing my hair longer than I've been having it to maximize my waves. I've always worn bangs and short bob length hair especially as my hair has gotten thinner as I've gotten older. I love how the curls make my hair appear fuller with the exception of the bang area. My bangs are now to the top of my mouth and either they are in the awkward growing out phase that is bothering me (normally I would have cut them off by now, but i'm trying to resist!), or it's that my hair is so thin at the top that the longer bangs make it more apparent that is bothering me(not sure about this, when I wore my hair straight my bangs bothered me because they were so "wispy" that they just blew around).

I'm attaching 2 pics, one my recent curly hair pic, you can see how thin the hair is on top, and one from a year ago when I wore my hair straight with bangs, but this pic is in the Caribbean where I was TRYING to wear it curlier since I thought the humidity would help me (I had NO idea how to style it....somehow what my hairdresser told me to do wasn't working....guess that's why I ended up here).

What do you think, should I keep bangs and somehow integrate them with longer curly hair (I'd like to get to APL but not sure if my thin hair will allow that), or should I continue with growing them out? Will it work for the thinness of the hair? What are some styling options and techniques? I've thought about combing them flatter (yes they spring up like in the pic naturally when I use gel), but that can look odd too.

I've tried combing them a bit at the root after they dry but then they end up frizzy and it does nothing for the scalp show-through. I'm at a loss and almost ready to pick up the scissors!

I need some ideas for this disturbingly apparent problem!
2C/3A / M to F / i (Fia)
Mod-CG since Oct 2011
wish I had more hair, but making the best of it :angel9:
My hair :love1: protein!
It's a work in progress :love5:

No Poo: Deva No Poo, CJDF
Low Poo: Abba Color Protect
Rinse out: CJBC, OneC, CJAO
Leave in: Shescentit Coco, CJBC LI, CJCF
Curl enhancer: AG Recoil, MopC, KMFUM, CK, CJ CCCL
Gel: Ecostyler, ArcAngel, BRHG, GFPC, AIF
PT: CJ Repair Me, IAGirls PT, BTZ PT

Techniques: SuperSoaker, Plopping, Pixie , Smasters

Comments

• LeanneMLeanneM Registered Users Posts: 211 Curl Neophyte
    fitover40, I think you look pretty in both photos --both with and without bangs! :toothy4: Since you're interested in growing them out a bit, however, I'd say to go for it! If they're already down to your mouth, it'll just take a few more months to get them where you want them to be.

In the meantime, can you pin them back with some cute barrettes or hair clips on the days when they really frustrate you? I've been growing my bangs out, too, and am thinking about cutting them back into regular bangs since they're driving me a bit nutso right now. Before I take the plunge and do something I regret, though, I've been wearing them back with a small jaw clip, and I actually like how it looks. If you want, let me know and I can post a pic. :dog:

Your hair is looking really great!
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

• fitover40fitover40 Registered Users Posts: 83
    LeanneM, thanks, I am amazed at the difference in the hair, so wish I would have gone CG earlier! I'd love to see how you pin them back. I know I can pin back like this pic and it looks good(and covers up the scalp).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/5084879635_3ea4ba9bf8.jpg

I need to go look for a cute clip (clips do better in my hair than barrettes). I'm really resisting cutting them to see how they look once they are longer.
    2C/3A / M to F / i (Fia)
    Mod-CG since Oct 2011

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    If you can stand it, you might let your fringes (longer bangs) lie a little closer to your head - like an across-the-forehead side sweep. It will give some fullness to your narrower temple area and still have a soft, wavy/curly look, but less chance for scalp-show. I think you could pull off a no-bangs look easily with some face-framing waves or curls or whatever that part likes to do.
    I like the little Goody "mini clips" for taking a small section, giving it one or two twists to make the wave twist and to give the clip something to grab, then pinning it loosely to the side. Hmm, I usually forget about doing this.
    Some bang ideas: side-swept-bangs2.jpg and this meg_ryan_soft_waves.jpg or this Celebrity-Curly-Blonde-Side-Swept-Hairstyle.jpg Anybody remember Tammy Faye Baker??? I'm having a flaskback of her makeup.
  • CheetaraCheetara Registered Users Posts: 2,182 Curl Neophyte
    I think you look good with bangs. I have bangs right now and I usually comb them straight when wet and just let them dry naturally.

brhg.jpg
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Thanks for answering IAGirl. I guess I needed "permission" :cheese: to comb and flatten it a bit and sweep to the side. They are still in that "awkward" phase that they are too long to wear as bangs and too short to really get a nice sweep. I'll try it out and on a really bad day clip them to the side for now. Now that I'm this far I'm gonna give the no bangs a fair shot.

Cheetara, your hair looks really cute! I do love your bangs! A bang that looks natural with the curls.
    2C/3A / M to F / i (Fia)
    Mod-CG since Oct 2011

Well, mine won't "sweep" like that (thanks, cowlicks), even though I'd like to wear them that way, so I'll live vicariously through your bangs (tee hee).
    Here's my attempt at doing the bangs a little flatter and swooped. I'm encouraged by that little curl that is dying to curl at the end of the bang. Maybe once this grows out more I'll get more curl in the length while pulling it to swoop better? Hope that makes sense!
    2C/3A / M to F / i (Fia)
    Mod-CG since Oct 2011

fitover40 wrote: »
    Here's my attempt at doing the bangs a little flatter and swooped. I'm encouraged by that little curl that is dying to curl at the end of the bang. Maybe once this grows out more I'll get more curl in the length while pulling it to swoop better? Hope that makes sense!

OMG, those are my bangs! That's exactly what mine do. You're going to have a luscious curl there, all right! When they don't quite cooperate, I clip them in place for a little while (not until 100% dry). It looks great on you.

And kind of OT, have you heard of Biosil? It's a (soluble) silica supplement you can get as a liquid or capsules (the liquid is less expensive, per dose). I got it for my husband's fingernails which tend to split in winter, but the label cites clinical studies showing that it increased the thickness of individual hairs by about 13%, so I use it too. Horsetail has silica, but it's toxic, even though stores sell supplements. Combined with better hair care, my ponytail actually did get a little more than 1/4" thicker around since I began the silica supplement. To me, that's a big deal. (Nor do DH's nails chip and split as much). You have to put the drops in soup or juice or oatmeal because they taste nasty, but it works. Good for bones too. I get it here (they're often out of stock, it's very popular): http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Factors-BioSil-ch-OSA-Advanced-Collagen-Generator-1-fl-oz-30-ml/23158?at=0
    Totally OT (daily trivia), soluble silica is the most bioavailable form, plants also use it, it improves their resistance to fungal disease.
    Ordered the capsules, I also read where it's good for the vertical ridges in nails. I have vertical ridges in some of my nails and they are splitting vertically. Been wondering what to get for that, maybe this will help. Just one more thing that's gotten worse as I've gotten older.....
    2C/3A / M to F / i (Fia)
    Mod-CG since Oct 2011

The biggest bottle of Biosil capsules is 120 caps for $48 ($40 on Amazon.com) - you take 2 per day for hair/nails, so that's 1 month's worth/$1.30 per day.
    It's the same stuff as the drops, just made into a powder by some "mysterious" means and put into capsules. The drops are about $25 for a month's worth.
    I put the drops into food and never taste it so long as it's mixed in.

I have read that sulfur in the diet also helps a lot with hair and nails, which you get from protein-containing foods and drinking water (not softened), but also from supplements like MSM. Sulfur only helps if you're not getting enough. Keratin (hair and nails) and the proteins in/around the cuticle of hair have a lot of sulfur.
    Interesting as always IAGirl! I also have just started taking MSM. Used to take it for joints, since I've read about it helping hair I started taking it again and as a bonus maybe my joints will be less rusty :snorting:
    2C/3A / M to F / i (Fia)
    Mod-CG since Oct 2011

Hm, if you're doing all that, you should take a "before and after" measurement. Not sure if photos are very accurate (lighting, hair styling etc) and your hair is too short to go into a ponytail in its entirety - but maybe measure a partial ponytail or the diameter of pigtails now, and then again in 6 months and a year to see if there is any change.
    Nails take at least 6 months too because they have to grow out with the silica-enriched nail. I know this from growing out nails from when I've smashed a fingernail & had it turn yucky colors ;)
    Good luck - I can't believe how much your hair has changed. And I love your freckles.
    IAGirl, I stumbled onto this phrase:
    Red hair contains more sulphur bonds than blond hair.
    on the frizzoff website: Curly Hair, Curly Hair Products - Jonathan Torch

So, the way I interpret that is the red hair has more sulphur bonds that makes it curlier than blonds? Is that right? I just found this interesting given the sulphur discussion above and thought you would too.

I'm glad someone likes the freckles :) freckles and red hair made for an evil childhood :) This site has been awesome to bring out my curl potential!
    2C/3A / M to F / i (Fia)
    Mod-CG since Oct 2011

I don't know the data behind the statement. The disulfide (sulfur) bonds in hair only form if they're close enough to each other to form. They get close enough to bond in hair that's curling as it grows. In straight hair, they don't bond. Or when last I looked at that sort of stuff. Big picture: Hair that's curling is curling because of the way the proteins are arranged in the hair shaft and the composition of the proteins.
    Curly hair has more sulfur bonds than straight hair, curly red hair has more sulfur bonds than straight red hair.

Red-headed kids with freckles are too cute! I had freckles until I was in high school and I wish I still did. The sun has given me freckles all over my arms and back and neck - but they're not as cute as the "real" kind.
    Fitover40, your bangs look great like that!! I'll try to post a pic with my bangs clipped back the next time I clip them.

I've been taking a biotin supplement (Maxi-Hair) and it seems to be helping with growth. I started my hubby on Biosil last month, and so it's good to hear that it really does work! Thanks for sharing all that great info, IAgirl!

(Sorry, too, fitover40, for not posting back sooner; I thought I had subscribed to this thread, but I guess I hadn't, so I missed all these posts!!)
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

IAgirl wrote: »
    And kind of OT, have you heard of Biosil? It's a (soluble) silica supplement you can get as a liquid or capsules (the liquid is less expensive, per dose). I got it for my husband's fingernails which tend to split in winter, but the label cites clinical studies showing that it increased the thickness of individual hairs by about 13%, so I use it too. Horsetail has silica, but it's toxic, even though stores sell supplements. Combined with better hair care, my ponytail actually did get a little more than 1/4" thicker around since I began the silica supplement. To me, that's a big deal. (Nor do DH's nails chip and split as much). You have to put the drops in soup or juice or oatmeal because they taste nasty, but it works. Good for bones too. I get it here (they're often out of stock, it's very popular): Natural Factors, BioSil, ch-OSA Advanced Collagen Generator, 1 fl oz (30 ml) - iHerb.com
    Totally OT (daily trivia), soluble silica is the most bioavailable form, plants also use it, it improves their resistance to fungal disease.

IAgirl, do you think that these are the same as the Biosil drops?:

Silica Drops

The Life-Flo ones don't have choline, but I'm not sure if that matters.

Amazon has them for less than $19 a bottle if you get them on Subscribe and Save:

Amazon.com: Life-Flo Silica Drops, 2-Ounce: Health & Personal Care

Thanks!

• wavysuewavysue Registered Users Posts: 363
    fitover40 wrote: »
    Keep growing them out that looks fantastic :thumbup:
    2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
    CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
    CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE:compress:
    Love all SS products
    Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
    AG MousseGel
    BRHG
  • JohariJohari Registered Users Posts: 673
    You could let them grow and turn them into side bangs

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App
    Thanks wavysue and johari, I'm going to keep growing them given all the positive comments I've gotten!
    2C/3A / M to F / i (Fia)
    Mod-CG since Oct 2011

LeanneM wrote: »

Silica Drops

Amazon has them for less than $19 a bottle if you get them on Subscribe and Save:

Thanks!
    The ingredient to look for is Orthosilicic Acid, that's the water-soluble form of silica. The one you linked to looks like a good deal!
    IAgirl wrote: »
    LeanneM wrote: »

Silica Drops

Thanks!
    The ingredient to look for is Orthosilicic Acid, that's the water-soluble form of silica. The one you linked to looks like a good deal!

Thanks, IAgirl! I always appreciate your know-how!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file