CurlTalk

Natural to Texlaxed

JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
hello,

I've been natural for almost 4 years and I'm at the end of my hair rope. LOL My hair is coarse, thick, and low porosity. It has been a complete pain in the arse. I don't have any hair skills, the only "style" I can do is a twist out. Braiding causes knots/tangles, puffs/buns pull my edges out. My hair is really big and bulky. Thanks to the low porosity, it has been difficult to keep my hair moisturized. Its as though, my moisturizer sits on top of my hair until it evaporates. I hate that. So, my hair will feel nice and soft for a few hours then go back to being crunchy. I dyed my hair Saturday hoping to raise my porosity a bit but it didn't work. I suppose that must happen over time but I've run out of patience.

So, here are my questions: Have any type 4s gone from natural to texlaxed and had an easier time managing your hair? Can you keep it moisturized better? Is detangling easier? Do you still look natural but just with a looser curl pattern?

I want my hair to be waist length (maybe) but I've stalled between APL and BSL (longest layer) due to having to trim busted ends and ssks quite often. Back when I was relaxed, my hair resisted the relaxer and was still really big and bulky. I'm hoping if I do decide to texlax that my hair won't *look* any different but will behave better. lol I just can't think of anything else to do.
tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
:tongue:

Comments

• Raina71Raina71 Posts: 58Registered Users
    Do you have YouTube... there are some people on there that texlaxed their hair... I'm subscribe to one... she's very nice. I'd have to go through and find her if you want. I'm subscribed to a lot of people... or put in a search for texlaxing or something like that. In a minute I'll put the link in. I know it helped work the knotts and there is one more person I would love for you to see but you have to watch her whole journey she have 4b/ç hair and its absolutely beautiful.

Texlax

(my inspiration watch all her videos in order 4b/c) below is her latest video very nice woman... not texlaxed but I believe everyone should watch

I hope she can help you
    Raina

Sent from my SCH-I510 using CurlTalk App
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    That first link that Raina71 provided was helpful.

I say go for it if that is what you want. I think one of my aunts has texlaxed hair. It doesn't look too different from my hair, just slightly looser, and a little less shrinkage.

I think that as long as you have it done well, and do "healthy hair practices" for the aftercare (moisture/protein balance and alla that), you should be fine. And the process should make your hair a little more porous, so maybe that's a benefit?
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    Raina71 wrote: »
    Do you have YouTube... there are some people on there that texlaxed their hair... I'm subscribe to one... she's very nice. I'd have to go through and find her if you want. I'm subscribed to a lot of people... or put in a search for texlaxing or something like that. In a minute I'll put the link in. I know it helped work the knotts and there is one more person I would love for you to see but you have to watch her whole journey she have 4b/ç hair and its absolutely beautiful.

Texlax
    /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpRqkTufZjpg%26amp%3Bfeature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player" class="Popup

(my inspiration watch all her videos in order 4b/c) below is her latest video very nice woman... not texlaxed but I believe everyone should watch
    /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1e9iDZTNdTE%26amp%3Bfeature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player" class="Popup

I hope she can help you
    Raina

Thank You so very much. NappilyEvaAfta is very inspiring. I'm jealous of her hair. LOL I actually like having natural hair, it just won't cooperate with me. I'm gonna invest in a seamless comb and try detangling more often than once a week to see if that helps with the ssks.
    4a/b cottony/spongy

No problem :)
    I hope you find away to to tame your tresses and make it work for you. I'm so glad there's a support group for every stage we're going through.
    Good luck
    And God bless
    Raina

• naturalnewbnaturalnewb Posts: 193Registered Users
    I have never texlaxed, but a 4a friend of mine went the texlaxing route and the results were more manageable hair that had more hang; the resulting curl pattern looked so similar to her natural hair that I thought the hang was due to a hair growth-spurt. That said, she only did it short term (like 6 months) and then she hacked all of her hair off.

There is a lot of info (but very few pics) on application, maintenance, and results located here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/straightening-relaxing/96037-4a-b-texlax-support-advice-3.html

I hope a few people chime in because I am curious about texlaxing myself. It seems like everyone who does it short term or with short hair (cbl or shorter) tends to be happy...but I have seen a few apl- or bsl-length people whose ends look stringy from what I assume are the long-term effects of texlaxing.
    I have never texlaxed, but a 4a friend of mine went the texlaxing route and the results were more manageable hair that had more hang; the resulting curl pattern looked so similar to her natural hair that I thought the hang was due to a hair growth-spurt. That said, she only did it short term (like 6 months) and then she hacked all of her hair off.

There is a lot of info (but very few pics) on application, maintenance, and results located here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/straightening-relaxing/96037-4a-b-texlax-support-advice-3.html

I hope a few people chime in because I am curious about texlaxing myself. It seems like everyone who does it short term or with short hair (cbl or shorter) tends to be happy...but I have seen a few apl- or bsl-length people whose ends look stringy from what I assume are the long-term effects of texlaxing.

Are those with stringy ends using heat? Maybe they are neglecting protein rx?

Texlaxing is talked about more on LHCF. I will probably decide what to do by next wash day.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
    4a/b cottony/spongy

I can't say that I am 100% certain of the reasons for the stringy ends. I am just going by pics that I've seen of people with texlaxed hair on this site and on youtube. It could be lack of protein, fine strands that can't handle the chemicals, heat damage, or overprocessing--hard to say. It just seems like long, curly hair that doesn't appear limp or stringy is like the texlax chupacabra.

I did see one example on youtube of a 3c who texlaxed like every 3-4 months and overall her hair looked pretty good in a wash n go. Her texlax application is a little haphazard and I think she flat irons her hair relatively often so it is possible that you might have even better results:
    Just For me Texturizer application - YouTube

There's also Titi of Miss Jessie's who might be around a 4a before she texturizes.

I started poking around LHCF. And you're right: there are so many texlaxed chicks there that I'm sure you'll be able to find some good info.
    I can't say that I am 100% certain of the reasons for the stringy ends. I am just going by pics that I've seen of people with texlaxed hair on this site and on youtube. It could be lack of protein, fine strands that can't handle the chemicals, heat damage, or overprocessing--hard to say. It just seems like long, curly hair that doesn't appear limp or stringy is like the texlax chupacabra.

I did see one example on youtube of a 3c who texlaxed like every 3-4 months and overall her hair looked pretty good in a wash n go. Her texlax application is a little haphazard and I think she flat irons her hair relatively often so it is possible that you might have even better results:
    Just For me Texturizer application - YouTube

There's also Titi of Miss Jessie's who might be around a 4a before she texturizes.

I started poking around LHCF. And you're right: there are so many texlaxed chicks there that I'm sure you'll be able to find some good info.

:glasses1: I've decided to go ahead and do it. Wednesday or Thursday most likely. *fingers crossed* Just hoping my hair doesn't come out "too loose".
    4a/b cottony/spongy

Post a pic when you're done... You should be good as long as you take care of it. Best of luck!
    Raina

I did it! here's a pic. Doesn't look any different to me. My hair is wet and full of conditioner in this one. My hair is still wet :confused3: but once it dries I'll take another of my twist out.

th_IMG_20120105_004411.jpg

I honestly don't think I left it in long enough. Oh well :confused3:
    4a/b cottony/spongy

too defined twist out result:

th_IMG_20120105_235724.jpg

it didn't work. :sad8:
    4a/b cottony/spongy

Sorry to hear that :(

I know you feel like the curl pattern didn't change, but maybe you need to give it some time to see if it might have affected your hair in some other way. I would think that the texlax process would alter your porosity at least a little. So, maybe you'll have fewer moisture-retention issues from now on.

Also, was detangling a little easier?
    Sorry to hear that :(

I know you feel like the curl pattern didn't change, but maybe you need to give it some time to see if it might have affected your hair in some other way. I would think that the texlax process would alter your porosity at least a little. So, maybe you'll have fewer moisture-retention issues from now on.

Also, was detangling a little easier?

Easier...not really. I dry detangled first with handfuls of sunflower oil but I had to detangle again anyway. Had to wash my hair loose to get all the relaxer out. :sad8:

Bald is looking attractive right about now... LOL

Oh and on the porosity thing...my hair still took 12+ hours to dry (and was nice and white for 6 of those hours LOL)
    4a/b cottony/spongy

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users

Yeah...I know for me it's the way I apply my products. All the moisturizers and gelling is mostly to my ends. I always want more volume at the crown so I leave gel off.

I'll think I'll experiment with gelling my canopy and leave it off my ends to see what that looks like.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    @Afrosheenqueen

Do you have a pic of your wet hair? I wanna seeeee :)

How long do you leave the relaxer on when you get retouches?

4a/b cottony/spongy

Haha....I'll take one tomorrow.

I leave the relaxer on maybe about 10 minutes if that. My stylist starts in the back and works her way up leaving my crown for last. Once she puts that on we go rinse.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • Nicci32Nicci32 Posts: 113Registered Users
    When I first started transitioning from perm to natural I couldn't do a thing with my hair and didn't want to go back to the crack in the jar so I started kiddie texturizing. It was fine for a while and then I started loosing my hair around the edges so since June 2011 I BC'd and been fully natural ever since.

However, I'm at the same place as you I can't do crap with this stuff! All I do is 2 strand twist and twist outs and they look horrible on me. I have learned more about naturally taking care of my hair and my hair is much healthier so I would say as long as you have the healthy know how and hair care regime then go for it. I'm strongly considering it since I know a lot more. I also heard about hair softeners I'm not sure if that is the same or similar to a texturizer but I am looking into this.

Hope this helps.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Nicci32 wrote: »
    When I first started transitioning from perm to natural I couldn't do a thing with my hair and didn't want to go back to the crack in the jar so I started kiddie texturizing. It was fine for a while and then I started loosing my hair around the edges so since June 2011 I BC'd and been fully natural ever since.

However, I'm at the same place as you I can't do crap with this stuff! All I do is 2 strand twist and twist outs and they look horrible on me. I have learned more about naturally taking care of my hair and my hair is much healthier so I would say as long as you have the healthy know how and hair care regime then go for it. I'm strongly considering it since I know a lot more. I also heard about hair softeners I'm not sure if that is the same or similar to a texturizer but I am looking into this.

Hope this helps.

A hair softener is just a mild relaxer. I used to use the Just For Me hair softener when I was relaxing my hair. It got my hair about as straight as a regular strength relaxer. Having said that, my hair never relaxed bone straight.
    Wet hair

020-vi.jpg

SL APL BSL MBL
    @ Afrosheenqueen

Thanks! Your hair looks nice. I wonder if I could get my hair to "hang"...hmmm...

I'm gonna try the texlax again tomorrow (most likely) and leave it on a lil bit longer. Just a lil bit. :blob2: *fingers crossed*
    4a/b cottony/spongy

• LeeMayhemLeeMayhem Posts: 98Registered Users
    hello,

I've been natural for almost 4 years and I'm at the end of my hair rope. LOL My hair is coarse, thick, and low porosity. It has been a complete pain in the arse. I don't have any hair skills, the only "style" I can do is a twist out. Braiding causes knots/tangles, puffs/buns pull my edges out. My hair is really big and bulky. Thanks to the low porosity, it has been difficult to keep my hair moisturized. Its as though, my moisturizer sits on top of my hair until it evaporates. I hate that. So, my hair will feel nice and soft for a few hours then go back to being crunchy. I dyed my hair Saturday hoping to raise my porosity a bit but it didn't work. I suppose that must happen over time but I've run out of patience.

So, here are my questions: Have any type 4s gone from natural to texlaxed and had an easier time managing your hair? Can you keep it moisturized better? Is detangling easier? Do you still look natural but just with a looser curl pattern?

I want my hair to be waist length (maybe) but I've stalled between APL and BSL (longest layer) due to having to trim busted ends and ssks quite often. Back when I was relaxed, my hair resisted the relaxer and was still really big and bulky. I'm hoping if I do decide to texlax that my hair won't *look* any different but will behave better. lol I just can't think of anything else to do.

Wow, it's like I was reading my own story in a way. I can't braid my hair either because i will get knots on individual ends, and back in my relaxed days, my hair would resist the relaxer too. I went natural in 2005. Now my hair in the back is down to my bra strap and the front is past my shoulders(I did cut my hair 3 times so it should be longer). The key to healthy and managable hair is healthy product that serve a perpose. Like I use a cleansing cream to cleanse and help retain moister(Curly Q's Curlycake Cleansing Cream), a conditioner/leave on that aimed to help detagling(Kinky Curly Knot Today)I went from combing out rodent sized clumps of hair to almost none,nourishing organic styling gel(Kinky Curly Custard) it's moisturizing, smooths my hair and leaves it defined and shiny. To soften my hair and get out any crunch from the gel, I use their gloss pomade. I would really look into finding the right combo of products before turning to chemicals to alter texture. What you decide to do, I wish you the best : )
    3c Hair
    Wash:Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse
    Condition/Leave In:Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styler:Kinky Curly Custard
    Moisture/Shine:Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade
    Deep Treatment:Kinky Curly Midnight Miracle
    @ Afrosheenqueen

Thanks! Your hair looks nice. I wonder if I could get my hair to "hang"...hmmm...

I'm gonna try the texlax again tomorrow (most likely) and leave it on a lil bit longer. Just a lil bit. :blob2: *fingers crossed*

Thank you! I thgink your hair has a lot of hang already. How long did you leave it on the first time? You don't want to over-process.

SL APL BSL MBL
    @ Afrosheenqueen

Thank you! I thgink your hair has a lot of hang already. How long did you leave it on the first time? You don't want to over-process.

Umm...I didn't time it exactly but it was less than ten minutes from start to finish. My hair was already sectioned (16 sections) so I raked the relaxer through with my fingers. After each section was done I rake my fingers through all of my hair then rinsed it out. :)

4a/b cottony/spongy

• JydalJydal Posts: 178Registered Users
    I have my hair texturized now. I am growing it out but not due to problems with my hair. I used to do mine every 4 months, deep conditioned at home weekly after the wash and it came out looking nice and healthy.
  • GemdollGemdoll Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hi
    I know this post is old but Ill give my fifty cents anyway. Well like you I was so tired of trying everything on the face of the earth and still struggling with my APL natural hair. My hair is very fragile because of the weird mix of zigzags and coils that make it knot easily and it's hard to moisturize because of low porosity. Furthermore, it does not like most of the products that most youtubers use and recommend because of the proteins. I decided to texlax about 6 months ago. Since doing so my hair is flourishing. I have less ssks and it's easier to manage, yet my hair is still thick and has a natural look. My hair is growing faster since I don't have to trim as much. The products that I found to be good on my texlaxed hair are:
    Hello Hydration moisturizing conditioner
    Free and Clear shampoo and conditioner
    Garner Fructis length and strength shampoo and conditioner- My only protein
    Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave in Conditioner
    Giovanni smooth as silk Deep Moisture Deep Conditioner

All of these products are very reasonably priced and they have been the perfect blend for my difficult hair combination. I think if anyone is going to Texlax really educate yourself first and make sure you are really ready to be able to say with pride-I'm not natural. I'm Texlaxed. I say that because people will ask and I've found naturals to be very judgmental and condescending. I had one say to me "oh we'll you can't tell me anything about hair since you are relaxed."! Lol Crazy. Mind you I was natural for 10 years before texlaxing.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    Gemdoll wrote: »
    Hi
    I know this post is old but Ill give my fifty cents anyway. Well like you I was so tired of trying everything on the face of the earth and still struggling with my APL natural hair. My hair is very fragile because of the weird mix of zigzags and coils that make it knot easily and it's hard to moisturize because of low porosity. Furthermore, it does not like most of the products that most youtubers use and recommend because of the proteins. I decided to texlax about 6 months ago. Since doing so my hair is flourishing. I have less ssks and it's easier to manage, yet my hair is still thick and has a natural look. My hair is growing faster since I don't have to trim as much. The products that I found to be good on my texlaxed hair are:
    Hello Hydration moisturizing conditioner
    Free and Clear shampoo and conditioner
    Garner Fructis length and strength shampoo and conditioner- My only protein
    Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave in Conditioner
    Giovanni smooth as silk Deep Moisture Deep Conditioner

All of these products are very reasonably priced and they have been the perfect blend for my difficult hair combination. I think if anyone is going to Texlax really educate yourself first and make sure you are really ready to be able to say with pride-I'm not natural. I'm Texlaxed. I say that because people will ask and I've found naturals to be very judgmental and condescending. I had one say to me "oh we'll you can't tell me anything about hair since you are relaxed."! Lol Crazy. Mind you I was natural for 10 years before texlaxing.

I'm glad you found what works for you. I'm sorry some naturals are condescending to you. I think it's great you're honest. I think if a person is natural then be happy to say so if chemically treated be happy to say so too. However, there are a lot texturized/texlaxed people who lie and say they're natural. I feel that's why so many naturals complain of being constantly asked if they have texturizer and sometimes accused of lying when they say they don't.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    Yes, this thread is old, but still relevant. I was natural for about 2 years before my hair was just SO bulky and thick that it would take a half bottle of decent conditioner and 30 minutes in the shower to detangle or co-wash effectively. I texlaxed and I haven't looked back. I have mostly coffee stirer to pen spring to pencil sized 4a coils with some 4b on my front edges by my ears and some looser texture (I wouldn't call it 3c, but it's looser than my 4a coils) on the top of my head, and in the very back middle of my head. I have densely PACKED, but very fine hair strands.

I texlax with Elasta QP Mild. I really just freestyle with how long I leave it on. I just keep fondling my hair until it feels straight. As soon as I feel that, I know it's time to rinse. My hair never gets straight, the weight of the relaxer just makes it feel that way. I wash with the neutralizing shampoo. (during this time my hair is usually very loose) Once I finish that (usually 2 washes) I follow up with Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor. I leave it on for at least 5 minutes while finger cobing through my hair. After using the Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor, my hair regains curls, and feels soft. After I rinse the Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor, I cowash with my regular cowash conditioner - its the TresEmme Curl Moisture I think, then I use my leave in conditioner which is HEHH mixed with EVOO and honey. I use a decent amount of that to make sure my hair is covered, but not saturated as if I were doing a detangle. I use just enough to make sure the strands are covered, then I either use EVOO or one of my Bake Shop Butters or shea butter on top of that to further protect my hair. Then I let my hair air dry.

I know that sounds like alot, but the entire process only takes me about an hour, from the beginning of oiling my scalp and donning gloves, to sitting on my sofa watching tv to let my hair air dry. I don't give myself a specific timetable or window of when to retouch, I just know when my hair feels super dry, or begins to "misbehave" after a simple cowash, or start to tangle considerably, then it's time to retouch.

During my retouches, if there are areas I want to "correct", I do that as well, but I never comb out to the ends once I have the hair loosened the way I like.

Good luck to anyone looking to texlax, and I am more than willing to share my experiences with anyone.
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]