So I started my CG journey, but I need help!

For years I have straightened my hair every single day. But now my hair is growing kind of long (When it's straight it reaches my mid-upper back) so it's getting to be a lot of work. And I want to grow my hair out even longer, so I guess it's time to repair.

Today I washed my hair with just conditioner (No sulfate). I wasn't overly impressed with the results, my hair is still frizzy. And my bangs look fried and just won't curl right. But I suppose it'll take a long time to fully repair... In the meantime, how can I help tame this horrible frizz and poofyness? I can be kind of impatient when it comes to my hair I guess. Straightening was always my 'quick fix' until now. I don't want to get discouraged already!! :confused1:

I am currently using one n' only argan oil moisture repair conditioner, argan oil treatment, and the generic version of Paul Mitchell's 'Super Clean Sculpting Gel'
:toothy4:My Routine:toothy4:
Co-Wash/Leave-In: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
Styling: Pantene Curly Styling Mousse
:glasses3:
"Live Long and Prosper." -Spock

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know the ingredients in the other products, but the One n' Only products all contain silicones (with the exception of the Hydrating Mask). If you're not using sulfates to wash your hair, the silicones will continue to build up and wreak all kinds of havoc on your hair. I made the same mistake before I found this website. I started using Deva Curl products almost two years ago and my hair was looking pretty good, then I added a cone filled shine serum and my hair started looking awful. I actually wore it pulled back for almost four straight months.

To removes the cone build-up, you need to do a final sulfate wash- make sure the shampoo is cone-free. Then stick to cone-free products or products with water soluble cones (anything with PPG or PEG in front). HTH
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • HeartscribblezHeartscribblez Registered Users Posts: 5
    Really? The One N' Only products all have silicones? Oh darn, I just got a whole set from my mom for Christmas.

I guess I'll have to look into the deva curl products and start OFFICIALLY another day. Thank you for the insight, Corrina.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I was just as disappointed because I really liked the One n' Only stuff too (used them for about two weeks and gave everything away to a co-worker after I started CG). I do still use the Hydrating Mask (after triple checking the ingredients) and so far it's my favorite DT.

I used the Deva products for almost two years, but I've been playing around a lot of other brands since then. People either tend to love or hate Deva. You don't have to splurge for the pricier stuff- a lot of people use almost all drugstore product. Tresemme and Suave Naturals are very popular choices. It takes some time to get used to reading the labels (I've spent 45 minutes at a time reading various product labels), but once you start to know what your hair likes and doesn't like it gets much easier. Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Heart,

Looks like the GVP Sculpting Gel (Sally's says this is their generic for the Paul Mitchell gel you mentioned) has several water soluble silicones. Your hair may or may not tolerate those. It also has a polyquat which can cause buildup for some.

If you don't want to wait to splurge on Devacurl products, there are drugstore CG products you can try. Drugstore brands aren't Deva quality, but they can be a reasonable option when you're getting started and still trying to figure out what your hair likes, especially if you don't have the money for boutique products.

Off the top of my head, Organix and Burt's Bees make CG friendly shampoos. V05, Suave Naturals, and Tresemme Naturals are all fairly basic (cheap) cowash conditioners. Many like the Suave Naturals Coconut. Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition and Sleek and Shine conditioners, and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose are all decent moisturizing rinse out conditioners. I use the Triple Nutrition as a rinse out and a leave in. Check the Product Reviews section and people's siggies for other options.

For a bigger list of CG conditioners, look here. For a list of sulfate, protein, and silicone free products, see here. And for more CG conditioners, see here.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • HeartscribblezHeartscribblez Registered Users Posts: 5
    I actually have the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner sitting in my shower right now! I guess I can start with that as my rinse-out and leave-in. I also have Pantene's mousse for curly hair, which I'm pretty sure is CG friendly. I think I'm finally starting to understand the rules! lol.

Thank you so much Corrina777 and Geek_Chic!!!
  • curlyevcurlyev Registered Users Posts: 246
    I'd suggest GVP Conditioning Balm (Sally's version of Biolage). It is a really great conditioner! But like someone said above, make sure and do one last sulfate wash. There are a bunch of lists on here that give the names/brands of many many CG products. I'm still learning too. ;)
    -3A, fine, very thick, normal por., normal elast., long, dye- free (CG since Nov. '11)
    -Low poo (As needed): CVS Argan Oil Renewing Shampoo
    -RO: GVP The Detangler
    -Styling: LALSG
    -PT: ION Effective Care (seldom)
    *I have learned that sometimes less is more when it comes to my hair*
    :love6:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file