Neat freaks: What is your routine?

fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I just can't seem to keep all of my house clean at one time.
My kitchen, living room and dining room are clean but my bedroom a mess!!
How often are you cleaning?
Just think of your week and try summarize what you do to keep your house looking spotless.

Comments

• KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Is it even possible?! I have a 3, 6 and 9 yr old. As soon as I pick up toys from the family room and take them to their toy box, I find the same toys in the living room, foyer or basement. I'm not a magician! Lol. Sorry I can't help, but I anxiously await the responses!

On my EVO
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    Kilajo wrote: »
    Is it even possible?! I have a 3, 6 and 9 yr old. As soon as I pick up toys from the family room and take them to their toy box, I find the same toys in the living room, foyer or basement. I'm not a magician! Lol. Sorry I can't help, but I anxiously await the responses!

On my EVO

ha! i was going to post something similar. we have a 9 and 13 year old. and to be honest, i don't think it would be comfortable for them if we demanded a spotless house.

my husband and i hate clutter. not in a hotwheels cars or coloring book and crayons strewn in the middle of the den kind of clutter, but rather, in overly furnished and ornate rooms. we enjoy our space. so we don't have lots of decorative accents in our house. i think that makes it easy for us. the less we surround ourselves with (my philosophy), the less we have to keep up with.

it really doesn't take us long to clean up, so we clean house once a week on saturday mornings. we do laundry either on saturday or sunday evenings. our kids take turns cleaning their bathroom. the guest bathroom downstairs is always clean and ready for company.

we clean our kitchen daily because that is one of the rooms that we live in downstairs. we might go to bed with a couple of cups in the sink, but we are ok with that.

the only thing that i'm particular about is not letting the kitchen trashcan become stinky and disgusting or letting the recyclables over-accumulate on the counter (that's our daughter's responsibility).

i won't go ballistic if someone leaves their shoes in the den, as long as they are kept together and put against a wall where no one will trip over them.

we don't aim for spotless; we're ok with tidy and lived-in.

i mop the hardwoods twice a month; we vacuum once a week, and sweep twice a week (only because of a long-haired shedding furbaby :love4:), and dust the wood furnishings once every couple of months.

our showers are cleaned only when it's looking like they are starting to need it (maybe every couple of weeks or so).

oh, we only make our beds on weekends. i bet someone is cringing right now.

even before we had kids, my husband and i basically had the same cleaning pattern. we did things as they needed it so that we weren't ever overwhelmed with doing a lot all at once, all the time. and with two kids who are old enough to effectively contribute to household chores, it takes even less time to get the house in order ... once we've yelled and threatened them enough to get them up and moving!
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • wavysuewavysue Posts: 363Registered Users
    we did things as they needed it so that we weren't ever overwhelmed with doing a lot all at once, all the time.
    Yes this is my household as well. I can't do things on a regular scheduled basis. I will clean when it looks like it needs to be done, sometimes it's every other day or once a week or less it just depends. I can't stand a dirty kitchen or a messy floor so I will often sweep or vacuum but not always wash floors on a regular basis. I hate to dust so that gets neglected but a dirty bathroom no way LOL That has to get done regularly along with dishes.
    2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
    CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
    CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE:compress:
    Love all SS products
    Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
    AG MousseGel
    BRHG
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rainshower wrote: »
    our kids take turns cleaning their bathroom.

my daughter won't clean the bathroom. she'll tidy it up, but she won't do the mildew removal or toilet cleaning. ugh! she makes me mad!!! (she's 22 so she's perfectly able!)
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If she won't do it then she should help pay for a cleaner!

I'm a piler. As long as everything is in neat tidy piles then it can wait until I have time for a better clean.

Sent from my iPhone - blame autocorrect for everything strange
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's interesting to me that you keep your living room, dining room and kitchen really neat but the bedroom is "a mess."

I think when it comes to your bedroom you aren't paying attention. Your mind is elsewhere so it kind of gets cluttered and messy almost without your realizing it. For some reason, you pay attention more to the other rooms. Try this:

Be attentive in your bedroom. Slow down - stop - Look! Where are you putting that? Why is it ending up on the bed or the floor? Take time one Saturday a.m. to decide to have a "home" for everything - a place for everything from socks to combs. Maybe you are in a big hurry when you get dressed. You need to sharpen your awareness. Watch yourself. The entire problem could be a sort of mental fog that you are in - so that the problem happens almost by itself while you are thinking of other things or in a mad dash.

BTW, I'm not a neat freak except in the kitchen. I have such a horror of insects that I keep it practically sterile.

Hope this tip helps! :thumbup:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • greenjumpergreenjumper Posts: 891Registered Users
    I've lived with a neat freak before (honestly, I don't think she was very concerned about the actually cleanliness of things, just that things looked clean and that things were organized).

Anyways....something I noticed was that she never let things actually get "cluttered" to begin with. Whenever she used something, she'd put it back where it belonged. Whenever she ate something she immediately wiped up crumbs, cleaned the dish, and put the dish away. She was very organized and has different shelves, drawers, containers, etc for everything she owned and everything stayed in its place unless it was in use.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I clean through the whole house on Thursdays and vacuum and have a quick tidy up on a Monday. That's about it. May sweep the kitchen/family room if it gets really messy.
    3b in South Australia.
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have someone come once a week to clean for me. I'm hopeless.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I clean every weekend, usually Sunday and just tidy up as I go though the week. Theres not much more to it.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
    why is my bedroom a mess?
    let's see, i have papers everywhere.
    i pile them in stacks but when i need something (usually in a rush) i'll go through them and the neat piles become a big mass of mess.
    yesterday's jeans are on a box.
    the gift of 50 hangers that my mom gave me for my birthday are in a corner. (anyone want some hangers?)
    a container of books, a birthday gift from my dad of wine glasses (i already had two sets) are sitting in a box, my ironing board is up but it has knick knacks on it, box of cd's, a pile of greeting cards people have sent, 3 pairs of shoes my step mom gave me...oh, the outfit i wore on christmas is sitting on top of a box of very old greeting cards.
    jesus!!! i'm a hoarder!!!!
    (and my parents don't give me gifts i like)
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Dedachan wrote: »
    I have someone come once a week to clean for me. I'm hopeless.

Me too! Well she comes every other week. But it's sooooo worth the $100 a month to me.
    frau wrote: »
    our kids take turns cleaning their bathroom.

my daughter won't clean the bathroom. she'll tidy it up, but she won't do the mildew removal or toilet cleaning. ugh! she makes me mad!!! (she's 22 so she's perfectly able!)

ha! now, the shower, we still have to do for them. we don't use commercial cleansers that can instantly dissolve shower scum away; we use more natural things that require some elbow grease. and their elbows aren't as greasy as ours! :laughing5:

but the toilet scrubbing; basin, faucet, and counter cleansing; mirror cleaning; sweeping; and changing the bath mats? oh yeah, they have demonstrated that at 9 and 13, they can do it effectively. we set a standard, they met it, and we don't expect less.

when we have light dishes that need to be washed, our 13 year old son hand-washes them.

funny story: in our house, when my husband and i say "wash the dishes," what we mean is "clean the kitchen." so when our son first washed the dishes on his own, we walked into the kitchen and found water and suds on the counter, the dish cloth balled up in the sink with food residue that hadn't been rinsed down the disposal, the counters covered with things that hadn't been put away, and the floor unswept. when my husband asked him why he hadn't finished, our son told him "you said, wash the dishes. so i washed the dishes. you didn't say i had to do all of that other stuff." :laughing5:

now he knows. he did a perfect job "washing the dishes," erum, cleaning the kitchen last night.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    why is my bedroom a mess?
    let's see, i have papers everywhere.
    i pile them in stacks but when i need something (usually in a rush) i'll go through them and the neat piles become a big mass of mess.
    yesterday's jeans are on a box.
    the gift of 50 hangers that my mom gave me for my birthday are in a corner. (anyone want some hangers?)
    a container of books, a birthday gift from my dad of wine glasses (i already had two sets) are sitting in a box, my ironing board is up but it has knick knacks on it, box of cd's, a pile of greeting cards people have sent, 3 pairs of shoes my step mom gave me...oh, the outfit i wore on christmas is sitting on top of a box of very old greeting cards.
    jesus!!! i'm a hoarder!!!!
    (and my parents don't give me gifts i like)

Yes - this is the problem. :laughing3: I'm the reverse - "when in doubt - throw it out!" If you have a friend that is a non-hoarder, invite him/her over, promise a treat (lunch?) and let the person guide you. I've helped friends this way. I throw out or donate. Otherwise my stuff would eat me alive. Why are you keeping stuff you don't want/need? Chuck it - it's very liberating.
    BTW, you don't look scary or forbidding in your avatar - but that's a reference to another thread. Happy New Year!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a mess, mainly because I try on different things and leave them all over the place. I also never fold laundry or do it when it gets to be too large so it's usually clothes everywhere.

I've been succesful so far in the last few weeks keeping kitchen and living area clean. My main reason for this is when I have visitors, it's already clean or only takes a few minutes to tidy up and I can shut the bedroom door. So my bedroom is messier. I've been trying not to let it get out of control. The key is to clean a little every day or every few days. I used to just let it go for weeks at a time.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I hate clutter and knickknacky things. And it's only the two of us. I really do not clean often because I hate it but I do make sure papers/mail/stuff is not piled around. I also fold/hang all our clothes right away. I do not iron so Bs dress shirts go to the cleaners. My bed has a down comforter and I have duvet covers. And just sheets so it is easy to make the bed. Our house is newer so we have lots of closets so that helps with keeping organized too. We have a dishwasher do that 'hides' the dishes and they are not piled in the sink. Not sure if any of that helps. :)

I just read Rainshower's post and our houses sound similar. More stuff means more to dust or clean :). I always put things back or wipe as I go.

Frau maybe your bedroom is just what it is but if does bother you then maybe you need to do some purging. I go through my closets/bureaus at least once a year and purge. The items go to the salvation army or one of those donation bins.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For stuff that needs regular attention, I do certain things on certain days. Run the Roomba on Mondays and Fridays. Bathroom gets cleaned on Mondays. I'm always cleaning up as I go in the kitchen. I use the DustBuster every single day, throughout the day -- on the shelves, the couch, to get at some stray dirt or whatever on the floor. I also run an actual vacuum once every 2-3 months so I can give the upholstery a once-over, and behind furniture, baseboards, etc.

I do a deeper cleaning of the kitchen every few months. Usually what happens is I notice something splattered and start in on it and the next thing I know, I've wiped down all the cabinets. I organize a closest or a shelf every other week or so. I do these sorts of deep cleanings and organizing projects in small bursts -- an hour here, an hour there, just when I have some spare time. Usually when I'm procrastinating on something else, that's the best time to get stuff done.

I pick up clutter all the time. Too much crap laying around makes me uneasy and robs me of my focus. I am one of those "a place for everything and everything in its place" kind of people. I don't mind a bit of a jumble of things in a space, but there needs to be some harmony to it all. If it's literally a pile of who-knows-what, it makes me twitchy.

When I don't have immediate and ongoing need for something, it gets put in storage, usually within a few days of entering my home. When I run out of space, I get rid of stuff. I find it freeing to let go of unnecessary objects. Possessions possess.
    so you guys throw out old greeting cards?
    i feel guilty doing that.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    All you people that clean only once a week, I'm speechless. I probably spend an hour or 2 every day just trying to keep the living room floor clean. I usually poop out on it in the evening. I probably shouldn't because that's when my ILs like to make unannounced visits and accuse me of sitting on my butt all day. Its always funny how they can be such "experts" at child rearing, but have absolutely no memory of how quickly little ones can make messes.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's easier with no kids. I have one big kid who cleans up after himself some (SO) and many cats, hence the extra Roomba-ing. Still, nowhere near as much work as with kids.

With kids, the expectations must be different -- unless you want to make yourself insane.
    wild~hair wrote: »
    With kids, the expectations must be different -- unless you want to make yourself insane.

I'm not willing to do that, and that's why my house is a mess. My ILs are the type to make themselves insane with cleaning. Messes must be cleaned the moment they are made. They're parties usually end because everyone gets bored waiting for them to finish cleaning the kitchen after dinner. lol
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    Frau, you would probably benefit from getting a small file cabinet for all of your papers. The 2-drawer ones can fit under most standard height desks.

I've had a housekeeper come once a week for the past three months; before that, we had someone coming once a month. I made an Excel spreadsheet for her from a few different ones I found online. I'm happy to send it to you if you like - it's an Excel file so I can't upload it here. Basically, I outlined things I want accomplished weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly, then our housekeeper checks off they're accomplished when she comes. We start over with a new list each month.

Everyday, I wash dishes or fill the dishwasher, wipe down whichever table we eat on, the stovetop from cooking, wipe down the shower if I wash my hair, etc. Other than putting clothes in the laundry basket, that's about all the daily cleaning I do. Once a week I throw old food out of the refrigerator, typically the morning the housekeeper is coming so she'll wash the dishes the food was in. We take all of our laundry down to the basement the night before she comes so she can do the laundry while she's cleaning.

We recently bought and moved into a large house with small storage in living areas. So, I am boxing or unboxing things once a week at least to keep clutter at bay. I've been looking for nice antique wardrobes so I can put them around the house to store things more neatly and permanently.
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
    so you guys throw out old greeting cards?
    i feel guilty doing that.

no harm intended, but i think this is a major factor in why many people have cluttered rooms/homes. "so-and-so gave me that, so i can't throw it out; or i might be able to use this or part of it for something one day; or but it still works," etc.

unless personal information is printed on them, i toss the majority of greeting cards in the recycle bin. to me, they are inexpensive tokens to let you know that someone was thinking of you during a special time. once that event has passed, why hold on to the card? you still have the memory of the event, and tossing it doesn't mean you don't love or appreciate the person who gave it to you.

the only cards that i've kept (and i keep them in a decorative keepsake box that is no larger than a shoe box on my closet shelf) are ones that mark milestones in my marriage or our children's lives or represent something extraordinarily special. in other words, i don't keep every anniversary card that my husband has given me or every mother's day card or birthday card or thank you note.

in my best martin lawrence voice "i throw stuff oooouuuut!" :laughing5:

i agree that small filing cabinet might solve your paper clutter problems, but only if you decide what is really worth keeping and filing. if it's all worth keeping, you'll just end up collecting filing cabinets full of papers. not a good look for a home. :sad3:

my mother is a clutter bug, and she gets overwhelmed looking at it and confronting having to clean her own home and gets frustrated walking into certain rooms because of it.

because of that, it is a conversation that i have periodically with our children that it is my wish that they learn how to live small, yet comfortably, when they are on their own, not to put unreasonable value in every material thing they've acquired, and not to accumulate stuff that mostly has no genuine meaning or worth to them.

to me, if it's been sitting around for over a year unused and forgotten (including clothing), i know that it's time to let someone else make use of it. i look forward to shedding unused stuff in our home and giving good things to good will and local shelters or recycling. i know that i'm keeping clutter at bay, and also allowing someone else a chance to put good items to use.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I keep my house pretty clean, but it's never clean enough for me. I don't have a schedule, or set days that I clean stuff. I do it every day, as I go.

I have two kids, 4 and 7. I clean the kitchen, sweep the floor, pick up things from the table, and the living room, wipe down my kitchen table, etc, a few times throughout the day. But it's my job. I'm home all day, and so is my youngest.

I make all the beds every day. I change sheets once a week. I clean my bathrooms about once a week. I vacuum once a week, to every 2 weeks, but I only have 2 rooms w carpet. I do laundry daily. There are 4 of us.

I pick stuff up, put things away, organize messes, etc, all day long. As I go through the house.

My mom made me start cleaning our house from a very young age. She was very strict about it. I was cleaning out the refrigerator and scrubbing bathrooms at 12.

Using my iphone with my toe thumbs. There will be typos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    iroc wrote: »
    My mom made me start cleaning our house from a very young age. She was very strict about it. I was cleaning out the refrigerator and scrubbing bathrooms at 12.

my mother was the same way. by the time i was tall enough to look down into the kitchen sink, i was washing a few dishes.

by middle school, i was capable of doing a lot of the housework and yardwork effectively. in high school, i knew how to operate the washing machine, hang the clothes out to dry, iron, etc.

our son is 13 and can launder his own clothes. we don't always make him do it, but he knows how to operate the washer and dryer. my husband still folds their clothing straight from the dryer. but i have personally cut them off from that perk. at their ages, i was folding and putting away all on my own.

it's interesting, we have a family of 4 too, but do laundry once a week. we usually have about 5 loads that we endure in one afternoon over the weekend. three loads of clothes, one load of linen and towels/bathcloths, and bath mats. i do short, cold water cycles, because most of our clothing doesn't get that dirty, even with very active kids. i save the longer, hot water cycles for the linen and towels/bathcloths and for those articles that need extra cleansing.

laundry is one of those chores that i'd rather let build up and tackle all at once, than do daily or several times a week.

i think we give them what we know they are capable of doing and what they've demonstrated they can do well. i don't want them growing up and leaving home not knowing how to take care of themselves or their own homes in the most basic of ways. it doesn't automatically make sense once you turn 18; they have to be practice these things along the way. my mil thinks we are crazy for doing this. but she was also still doing her sons' laundry, folding, and ironing, when they were well into their teens. :-| ... not i!
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I hate clutter and knickknacky things. And it's only the two of us. I really do not clean often because I hate it but I do make sure papers/mail/stuff is not piled around. I also fold/hang all our clothes right away. I do not iron so Bs dress shirts go to the cleaners. My bed has a down comforter and I have duvet covers. And just sheets so it is easy to make the bed. Our house is newer so we have lots of closets so that helps with keeping organized too. We have a dishwasher do that 'hides' the dishes and they are not piled in the sink. Not sure if any of that helps. :)

I just read Rainshower's post and our houses sound similar. More stuff means more to dust or clean :). I always put things back or wipe as I go.

Frau maybe your bedroom is just what it is but if does bother you then maybe you need to do some purging. I go through my closets/bureaus at least once a year and purge. The items go to the salvation army or one of those donation bins.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Exactly this.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

My house was kinda the same. I think I'm still rebelling.
    cympreni wrote: »

That's my mom. Her mother was obsessively clean and made my mother (the only girl) clean all the bedrooms and make all the beds.

Now my mom refuses to make her bed :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cympreni wrote: »

Same here, but no rebelling for me. I just don't like cleaning and I'd rather spend my time relaxing and being out of the house. Also I can imagine if you have kids and work, there is no time. I have no excuse though, it's just me so it shouldn't take that long to clean, I just make a lot of mess i guess.

my mother was the same way. by the time i was tall enough to look down into the kitchen sink, i was washing a few dishes.

by middle school, i was capable of doing a lot of the housework and yardwork effectively. in high school, i knew how to operate the washing machine, hang the clothes out to dry, iron, etc.

our son is 13 and can launder his own clothes. we don't always make him do it, but he knows how to operate the washer and dryer. my husband still folds their clothing straight from the dryer. but i have personally cut them off from that perk. at their ages, i was folding and putting away all on my own.

it's interesting, we have a family of 4 too, but do laundry once a week. we usually have about 5 loads that we endure in one afternoon over the weekend. three loads of clothes, one load of linen and towels/bathcloths, and bath mats. i do short, cold water cycles, because most of our clothing doesn't get that dirty, even with very active kids. i save the longer, hot water cycles for the linen and towels/bathcloths and for those articles that need extra cleansing.

laundry is one of those chores that i'd rather let build up and tackle all at once, than do daily or several times a week.

i think we give them what we know they are capable of doing and what they've demonstrated they can do well. i don't want them growing up and leaving home not knowing how to take care of themselves or their own homes in the most basic of ways. it doesn't automatically make sense once you turn 18; they have to be practice these things along the way. my mil thinks we are crazy for doing this. but she was also still doing her sons' laundry, folding, and ironing, when they were well into their teens. :-| ... not i!

I should probably have my kids do more chores. I've just started making my 7 year old clean up her plates from the kitchen table, feed the cats, and occasionally make her bed and put her folded clothes away. But most of the time I do the last two as part of my routine.

I suppose there are a few days when I don't do laundry, but I hate letting it pile up. Having 4 loads I have to fold and put away at once makes me crazy.

I too only wash towels and linens in hot water.

This morning I've already done dishes, swept the floor, cleaned off the papers on the kitchen table, bagged up trash, I'm about to go downstairs and get laundry, and I haven't made the beds yet - that drives me crazy. I hate unmade beds.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file