Marcus Samuelsson recipe, People Magazine

kjean2kjean2 Posts: 145Registered Users
While waiting at my doctor's office recently, I saw a recipe in People Magazine for a Potato Gratin from Marcus Samuelsson (it was made with shredded potatoes). I thought surely I could find it on line, but I've looked everywhere to no avail and I don't think the issue is being sold anymore.

It was a recent issue, though I'm not sure of the date. Just wondering if anyone who has access to the recipe might be willing to post it here?

TIA!

Comments

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Was it specifically labeled potato gratin? What about it did you find so interesting that you're searching for it? Was there anything unusual about the ingredients?
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • kjean2kjean2 Posts: 145Registered Users
    I'm fairly certain it was labeled "Potato Gratin", and I thought it was a little unusual because of the grated / shredded potatoes, instead of thinly sliced potatoes. I'm pretty sure too that it had a base of sautéed onions and leeks, which were layered with the potatoes in the standard gratin way, and that it was finished with cream. Can't remember what kind of cheese, though I suspect it was gruyere.

Wish I could remember more--I just thought it sounded good, but didn't over-scrutinize it as I thought it would be easily found on the internet.

Oh, just remembered too, that I think you poured part of the cream over the gratin and baked for about 10 mintes, then poured the rest over to finish baking. I hadn't seen that technique before.
    You can find potato gratins made with grated potatoes, but none attributed to Samuelsson.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kjean2 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain it was labeled "Potato Gratin", and I thought it was a little unusual because of the grated / shredded potatoes, instead of thinly sliced potatoes. I'm pretty sure too that it had a base of sautéed onions and leeks, which were layered with the potatoes in the standard gratin way, and that it was finished with cream. Can't remember what kind of cheese, though I suspect it was gruyere.

Wish I could remember more--I just thought it sounded good, but didn't over-scrutinize it as I thought it would be easily found on the internet.

Oh, just remembered too, that I think you poured part of the cream over the gratin and baked for about 10 mintes, then poured the rest over to finish baking. I hadn't seen that technique before.

Check out recipes for something called Jansson's Temptation. I know he often talks about traditional recipes of Sweden. I think this may be what you read about in People magazine. (The recipe uses the pouring the cream over technique that you mentioned)

If all else fails, stalk him on Twitter or fan him on FB. :)

ETA: Was the recipe in People in an article about HIM or was it on a page ad for a product promotion?

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
    ^That's it. Samuelsson has a recipe for potato-anchovy gratin in the book The New American Table, which is probably the recipe they featured on People. Jansson's Temptation contains anchovies.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Thanks so much you two! While I don't remember the anchovies, the rest certainly sounds like the recipe.

It actually wasn't an ad--I think it was a one-page article at the very back of the magazine, with maybe a little write-up about Samuelsson, but not a full-fledged article.

Going to give this one a try!

Thanks again :)
  • Kayla's MomKayla's Mom Posts: 2Registered Users
    I have the recipe in front of me -- I thought it sounded good too and ripped it out of the magazine. It's called Potato Gratin.

3 Tbsp. olive oil
    2 red onions, peeled and sliced
    4 closves garlic, thinly sliced
    1 cup sliced leeks, white and pale green parts only
    4 Idaho potatoes, peeled and shredded on a box grater (about 2 1/2 lbs)
    Salt
    Freshly ground pepper
    1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
    1/2 Cup bread crumbs
    3/4 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
    2 Cups heavy cream

1. Preheat oven to 350.
    2. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add onions, garlic and leeks, and saute until onions are translucent, about 10 min. Set aside.
    3. Rinse potatoes until water runs clear, about 2 min. Strain, removing all the water. Season with salt and pepper.
    4. Brush a 9x13 inch baking dish with butter. Sprinkle half of the bread crumbs on bottom and sides of pan. Alternate layers of potatoes and onion mixture, ending with potatoes.
    5. Sprinkle cheese and remaining bread crumbs on top. Pour half of the cream over the potatoes. Bake for 10 minutes, and then pour the remaining cream over the potatoes. Cook until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown, about 35 minutes.:tongue8:
    Oh my that does look good! No wonder you wanted to make it. I'm saving it too!!

Kayla I also meant to ask if you know which issue included this recipe.

• curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have the biggest crush on Marcus Samuelsson.

If I ever make it to Red Rooster, I don't know what I'll do. Probably something totally wrong.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    ^But he's such a douche.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Saria wrote: »
    ^But he's such a douche.

No problem with having a crush on a douche :lol:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Ha, I guess.:lol: For me it just kills it. Like David Boreanaz being a slimy, addlebrained douche killed any attractiveness he had (though granted he aged very fast and very poorly in the span of a few years, so the physical attraction had greatly declined already).
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Thanks so much, Kayla's Mom! I went to the nail salon yesterday and leafed through probably half a dozen magazines or so trying to find it but finally gave up.

Can't wait to try it!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    ^But he's such a douche.

I hadn't heard that. Does he have a big ego or what? Why is he a douche?

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    He has a huge ego. I already knew from various people who worked for him that he was a jerk, but then he was the guest chef at one of my jobs and he was, true to form, rude to our sous chef and basically just let him know that he (sous chef) would be expediting his (Marcus') service because well, he wasn't going to be bothered doing it. Sous chef's girlfriend is a pastry chef who also didn't have nice things to say about working for Samuelsson.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    He has a huge ego. I already knew from various people who worked for him that he was a jerk, but then he was the guest chef at one of my jobs and he was, true to form, rude to our sous chef and basically just let him know that he (sous chef) would be expediting his (Marcus') service because well, he wasn't going to be bothered doing it. Sous chef's girlfriend is a pastry chef who also didn't have nice things to say about working for Samuelsson.

I KNEW it!

My only exposure to him has been when he has been a judge on Chopped and when he was a contestant on The Next Iron Chef, but he completely rubs me the wrong way. Self centered, cocky, egotistical, BLECH!
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    TRBL wrote: »
    I KNEW it!

My only exposure to him has been when he has been a judge on Chopped and when he was a contestant on The Next Iron Chef, but he completely rubs me the wrong way. Self centered, cocky, egotistical, BLECH!

Yeah, he was the only one whose personality I disliked more than the winner on Next Iron Chef!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Can I shred my pototoes on my cheese grater? What if I sliced them thin?
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• Kayla's MomKayla's Mom Posts: 2Registered Users
    I'm sure using a cheese grater would work. I used my food processor just because it's quick. Slicing them thin would be like scalloped potatoes. The flavor would probably be the same. By the way, I made them last night and I left out the leeks (kids don't do leeks). I only used one large onion and I thought it was pretty oniony. I also needed to cook it about 20 extra minutes to get it brown and crunchy. My oven does run slow though. I'm not sure which issue of People this came from as I was just flipping through an issue while getting my nails done.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^But he's such a douche.
    He may be, but he is one nice looking guy.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    Slicing them thin is potato gratin. Scalloped potatoes are just basically really cheesy potato gratin. To be really specific, a gratin is just a dish baked in a gratin dish and that gets the top browned (gratinee). It can be made with any number of ingredients and there are no set rules, just ideas of what a classic example is. Classic potato gratin consists of potatoes, milk, and salt. Then there are the more common now ones consisting of cream and sometimes cheese.
    If you just sliced the potatoes in this recipe, it's a straight up "classic" gratin except with cheddar (though I think it's very oniony).
    I'm guessing the use of shredded potatoes is for cooks who are more likely to have a box grater than a mandoline or simply fear the mandoline. A food processor can slice or shred in short time if you have the disks.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Scalloped potatoes may or may not contain cheese.

I've always had and seen scalloped potatoes as the cheesy American version of a gratin. Like these:
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/scalloped_potatoes/

Never heard of anyone who didn't put cheese in them.
    Used to wonder back at school why seemingly the same thing the cafeteria would serve us was potato gratin one day and scalloped potatoes another.
    I think scalloped potatoes are just a name to make potato gratin sound less French. ;)
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I've never had scalloped potatoes with cheese. This is basically the recipe we use...

Classic Scalloped Potatoes recipe - Canadian Living
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    ^Classic home style potato gratin. The flour is often added to ensure against breaking.
    Same dish, less Frenchy sounding.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I totally forgot that I could use my food processor. Where is my brain? Now I don't have to ask my mom to borrow her mandolin. Thanks for the advice. I got everything today and I'm pretty excited. We like lots of onion and leeks so it should be a hit.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file