Should I?

sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
Get this Hello Kitty watch?

I decided I'll let this board decide for me since I'm really on the fence about it.

I'm not nor have ever been a professed Hello Kitty fan and I don't usually wear stuff like this, but it's really cute to me. I would love to wear it while wearing semi-professional outfits (thinking dress sweaters with pencil skirts or slacks, that kind of thing). A tiny bit of fun amidst the serious.

PROD_1146992_XL.jpg

Cons: not a budget-friendly purchase, but it's not budget-blowing either. It would be a minor fracture to the bank.

Takes me a little while to actually read the time off of watch faces that just offer the hands. But I guess I might get better at that with it.
“It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    It's cute, but hate the no numbers thing!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    If it was just the cutesy face I'd say yea buy it for the reason you mentioned, but that strap is a no-go for me. Unless you change out the strap, I vote no.

Posted from my "smart"phone. 'Scuse crazy typos
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    Narnia wrote: »
    If it was just the cutesy face I'd say yea buy it for the reason you mentioned, but that strap is a no-go for me. Unless you change out the strap, I vote no.
    I agree. I'm even a Hello Kitty fan and that strap is too much for me.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just don't like it. I say no.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• gemidevigemidevi Posts: 510Registered Users
    I actually think it's kinda cute and if its not the norm for you, maybe it is something you can start to integrate with non-work outfits. Its a fun watch! I voted yes because sometimes we all need something that is out of our norm that is fun.
    *disclaimer* spelling, grammatical and psychological errors are for your enjoyment. :)
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Saria wrote: »
    It's cute, but hate the no numbers thing!

That part would drive me crazy. But I do think it is cute but I wouldn't buy it just for the no numbers thing if nothing else.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't get the appeal of wearing cartoon images on grown women, but I'm a cranky-old-cartoon-hater, so you probably can't go by me.
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    It does look like it could be a little girl's first analog watch, aside from the absence of hatches and numbers.

If I wore it with my decidedly "grown up clothes" as opposed to my little more age-ambiguous casual clothes, how it wouldn't at all meld with the rest of the context would make it fun to wear.

It's easy to rationalize the reasons to go for it, but I know I'm also rationally minimizing the significance of my post Christmas finances.

I'm going to give this poll two days and really try to stand by the public vote :salute:

Thanks all!
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

• DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you're going to the trouble of creating a poll just for this watch, then you must like it a lot and that's all that really matters. Indulge yourself. I vote yes.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Dedachan wrote: »
    If you're going to the trouble of creating a poll just for this watch, then you must like it a lot and that's all that really matters. Indulge yourself. I vote yes.

I agree with this.

As for my view, I love the face, but am so-so on the band.

Siri types my posts for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    Dedachan wrote: »
    That's a good point :lol:

I was really drawn to a ring that was about 60% more than I felt comfortable spending a few months ago. I'm glad that I own it...don't think I'll ever get tired of it, but I'm nervous about getting into a habit of giving myself a green light just because I really want something (when it's also not a necessity). When I got the ring part of my thinking was 'well there isn't going to be something else I'll feel like I have to have anytime soon. It's safe.'

• duckyducky Posts: 927Registered Users
    Watch bands are not expensive, and it it not having numbers is a problem, you could put little dots or marks along the edges where the numbers would be. I vote yes! It's a fun watch.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I guess you wouldn't like my goofy backwards watch :laughing7:
    btw...you get used to the no numbers thing, but then again, I have lotsa swatches and skeleton watches. I'm a collector/lover of watches...they've also been quite the convo piece.
    The little one got one from Mickey Ds in a happy meal recently...it was pretty :cool:
    and, yes, some are cartoon that I have

:D
    goofyback.jpg
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    It's a cheap plastic watch. I have no issues with the hello kitty aspect, but the fact that its cheap and plastic makes it a major No for me.

If I saw a woman in nice clothes wearing this watch, I'd assume she has a 12 year old daughter and is too overwhelmed with mommyhood to bother checking her accessories.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
    I would probably think the same thing if the woman looked like a mom. I look around 22, definitely old enough to be a mom, but not too old to wear an unexpected watch. If I wore it with sweatshirt and jeans, I'd feel like I was regressing to pre-teen years though.

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I voted no because I think it would cheapen any sophisticated look, but I've changed my mind because I agree with Dedachan. I think you really have a yen for it - and sometimes, wearing something that really gives us pleasure, even if it isn't "right" is really fun.

For a while, I wore a pair of very fancy shoes that totally didn't belong at work in my last job. It felt rebellious and I enjoyed looking at them. They reminded me that there is a "me" that my job couldn't crush.

Let us know....:flower:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I'm HK's number one fan, been collecting sanrio things since I was 7, and IMO, the watch band is a no go. it's way too childish, and thats saying quite a bit because I do love hello kitty, but the band is just bleh.

BUT, if you really like it, go for it.

Are there any more, with a better watchband?

33373-201105_247x213.jpg

animal print is not my style, but its a bit more mature.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
    Unless you work in a super formal corporate environment, I don't agree that it would look bad or jarring. If you really like it, get it. It's not the end of the world to get yourself something you want but don't need provided you're not putting yourself in debt to do so.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Who Me? wrote: »
    It's a cheap plastic watch. I have no issues with the hello kitty aspect, but the fact that its cheap and plastic makes it a major No for me.
    Yeah, I agree. There must be either a better-looking HK watch that's the same price, or a similar watch that's cheaper. But if you just really like how this particular watch looks, I say go for it.

ETA: I just checked Amazon and they have a whole lot of HK watches for under $35.

ETA2: I think this watch is whimsical without looking like a toy--especially if you give it a black band.

ETA3: And here's the same watch but already with a black band, although that listing also comes with a necklace.

ETA4: This watch has an embellished band like the one you posted, but the band is leather and has little metal charms. AND the face has numbers.
    41gdIm7BwWL.jpg
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm with the no cartoons on grown women crowd.

Plus I don't like hello kitty, so my vote is no.

Sent from my iPhone - blame autocorrect for everything strange
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Nej wrote: »
    I'm with the no cartoons on grown women crowd.

Plus I don't like hello kitty, so my vote is no.

Sent from my iPhone - blame autocorrect for everything strange

Add me to this list. I can relate to wanting to add a sense of whimsy to semi-professional outfits, but for me there are better ways to do it.

--
    Sent from my phone, please excuse typos or brevity.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
    I don't know, maybe it's because I live in NYC, but something Hello Kitty on a woman going to work would not be thought of as in poor taste or all that unusual. And in fact, I've definitely seen women wearing a small HK piece here and there on the train on their way to work. Not everyone works in extremely formal corporate environments, even when they do office work.

And I can understand if you think something doesn't belong at work, but "no cartoons on a grown woman" is typical of people who assume animation is some silly kids medium. Meanwhile, there are plenty of completely stupid, mind-numbing, not to mention awful "grown-up" shows.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's cute. If you like it get it.

I have a pair of Hello Kitty earrings that I got from Claire's. I got them because I like them.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Saria wrote: »
    I don't know, maybe it's because I live in NYC, but something Hello Kitty on a woman going to work would not be thought of as in poor taste or all that unusual. And in fact, I've definitely seen women wearing a small HK piece here and there on the train on their way to work. Not everyone works in extremely formal corporate environments, even when they do office work.

And I can understand if you think something doesn't belong at work, but "no cartoons on a grown woman" is typical of people who assume animation is some silly kids medium. Meanwhile, there are plenty of completely stupid, mind-numbing, not to mention awful "grown-up" shows.

I don't think grown women should be wearing jewelery representing any type of television show, not just cartoons!

I think there are appropriate places to assert your love of various television shows, or icons or any kind, but I don't think your wardrobe is one of them past the age of ~12. If you just want to show a sense of whimsy in your attire, I think there are ways to do it without sporting a Hello Kitty watch.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I say no to that plastic watch because it just looks like it would irritate the skin.

I like these instead...

http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Kitty-Womens-H3WL1005WT-Silver/dp/B004AU98BS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325131476&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Kitty-Square-Face-Watch/dp/B004DYXTHK/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1325131859&sr=8-21

I'm a HK/Badtz Maru/Sanrio fanatic and I say go ahead and wear some HK if you want. Have some fun with life. I have a cute little sterling silver HK head-shaped charm that I wear on a necklace and I always get lots of compliments on it as it is subtle but cute. But I'm not a super professional woman. I'm a nurse and I work with kids.
    316vq4y.jpg
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I saw a guy wearing a HK t-shirt today. If worked on him. So, go ahead and get that watch.

Siri types my posts for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    You guys rock.:occasion5: Helping me with a Hello Kitty watch and gaining weight. I feel like I take more here than give.

I haven't ruled the watch out (and appreciate the links to others, but still like the one in the OP the most). I need to be careful though and figure out if it's reasonably affordable for me in light of new expenditures.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file