I have a huge cold sore!

AndreaAndrea Posts: 279Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Christmas Eve I woke up with a cold sore beginning to form. I tried my usual methods and nothing worked! Usually ice will keep it from getting to big but that didn't even work. I was hoping by today it would be less noticeable. I read liquid bandage would cover it so I could conceal it, but I wasn't successful with that. UGH! I am dreading work tomorrow. If I hadn't just had 5 days off I would consider calling it.

Just feeling sorry for myself :(

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Comments

• CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    Did you start taking a ton of l-Lysine???

I had break-out last week and it was gone in three days thanks to it.

I feel for you...they are the worst.
  • AndreaAndrea Posts: 279Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have. I took 8000 mg today. I've tried everything under the sun also. This one is on my lip, but it's also above my lip more than normal which is making it very obvious. The swelling has basically gone down, but it's very red and my skin is too uneven to camouflage it. Maybe some miracle will happen over night!

• NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    Oh Andrea I know how you feel, I get them like that above my lip too. And I'm a SERVER! It's so icky.
    I know it doesn't help, but it truly is worse when you look in the mirror than when others look at you.
    I got one a few weeks ago, and took tin of l-lysine and the garlic trick really helps too. Other than that, dabs of nail polish remover in a q-tip. Mine was gone in 3 days.
    I always just acknowledge the monster, when I see coworkers an they say "how are you" I say "good if not for this massive cold sore! Ugh!" and then I feel a bit better.
    Here's to speedy healing!!

Posted from my "smart"phone. 'Scuse crazy typos
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I feel for you. Those things suck. I haven't had one in a while thanks to Valtrex. Since more than a year ago, actually. I thought I was getting one once, but it was a false alarm. Nothing works as well as that for me.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    I actually have Valtrex, but unfortunately this one came without warning. I did take the valtrex even though I knew it may not work once the sore was formed. I feel like I may have wasted the medicine (it's so expensive), but I was desperate so I tried it.

They really are the most miserable things in the world. I get so cranky when I have them! I hope you feel better soon. Try to get a lot of sleep tonight.
  • BlessedBmyRootsBlessedBmyRoots Posts: 51Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Don't feel bad. I just got one that is on both sides of my nose AND my top lip. To make it worse, I blew my nose and the scabs rubbed off so I now have these bright pink and red marks on my face that look even worse on my dark brown skin. I don't care that I have it since I've been getting them since I was about 8 y/o. I just don't like people looking at me like I have a disease.
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Lots of lysine. If you get them frequently take lysine daily. It helps. I take at least 3000mgs lysine a day when I feel a breakout coming.
    Acyclovir works works too and its cheap- oral and topical cream.
    I've had to take acyclovir tabs for weeks to end the cycle of mouth sores (i have lupus which means wonky immune system)
    How are you feeling, Andrea?
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    For me taking the lysine pills the minute I feel it and using the lip balm Herpecin L clears them up pretty fast. Good luck.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    I think the sore is basically gone, but I still have a patch of red skin above my lip. I've been trying to cover it with makeup as best as I can, but it's difficult with the skin still being flaky and crusty (that sounds pretty)! It's terrible being so vain :)

So I woke up this morning to another cold sore beginning to form! I immediately took the Valtrex (hoping it will work this time since I took it sooner) and some ibuprofren. I'm still healing the skin from the last one. This one came right beside it!

Is my body trying to tell me something? Change my diet? 2012 has not been great yet!

Andrea wrote: »
    So I woke up this morning to another cold sore beginning to form! I immediately took the Valtrex (hoping it will work this time since I took it sooner) and some ibuprofren. I'm still healing the skin from the last one. This one came right beside it!

Is my body trying to tell me something? Change my diet? 2012 has not been great yet!

Ugh, another one.
    There's not direct correlation between poor diet and herpes simple 1 outbreaks. Since the virus never leaves your body, it can pop up at any time. The outbreaks can be managed but the virus will live in your body forever. Triggers are sun exposure, stress, hormones, among other.
    Hygiene is very important since oral herpes can be spread so it's very important to wash your hands frequently and not spread the virus (it can be spread to the genitals and eyes)
    Herpes simplex virus

I used to get cold sores in clusters too. I went on acyclovir and took L-Lysine daily for several months to break the cycle. I also used acyclovir ointment on the actual sore the moment I felt a tingle.

Herpes simplex (cold sores). DermNet NZ
    "Antiviral drugs will stop the herpes simplex virus multiplying once it reaches the skin or mucous membranes but cannot eradicate the virus from its resting stage within the nerve cells. They can therefore shorten and prevent attacks but a single course cannot prevent future attacks. Repeated courses may be prescribed or the medication may be taken continuously to prevent frequent attacks."

Reducing stress is also important. We are all stressed in some ways and stress can eat at us and we may not even realize it.
    Tai Chi, yoga, or Qi Gong are great for stress reduction.
    Chi-Gong Workout - Neck Stretch - RealAge

Meditation is also good. There are even apps and podcasts that can help teach you to meditate. I use this one
    Stress Meditations iPhone App

Lemon balm is also said to suppress the virus.

DearPharmacist » Calm Down with Lemon Balm
    Researchers found that lemon balm prevents spreading of the herpes simplex viruses (HSV), including the shingles and cold sore type. In a study on cold sores, lemon balm shortened duration and lessened recurrence of HSV infections. This is just phenomenal! Steep 3 tablespoons of dried herb into a cup of hot water for 15 minutes. Cool and apply the tea-water to your sores with gauze. Prepared “lemon balm cream” is also sold online and at some health food stores.
    I have been so careful not to spread it. I have been using Q Tips to apply or remove anything. I thought that foods high in arginine (I think) were triggers; chocolate, nuts etc.

I used Lemon Balm on it this morning, but unfortunately I'm at work so I can't keep reapplying. It hasn't gotten much bigger which I'm taking as a good sign.

I get them when I have the combination of a fever, stress and a change of weather. A few weeks ago I was driving to pick-up my mom at the airport and I started to feel a little feverish and my lip was itching, plus the temperature had dropped that day. I knew it was coming!

Are they hereditary in anyway? My sister and I both always get them.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My trigger is sun. And I am a chronic lip biter which I think has also caused them in the past.

I just read a tip that said to make sure you change your toothbrush after the breakout is over.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    I was planning on changing my toothbrush this weekend. I use a sonicare and I need to buy new brush heads. I wash my toothbrush with soap and water right now just to be safe. Who knows, maybe that isn't good enough.

Are they hereditary in anyway? My sister and I both always get them.

No, it's a virus- an easily spread virus which is why it tends to run in families. My dad, my sister and me have always had them. My husband and kids have never had them- thank
    This is unbelievable! I now have cold sore #3!!

I called in sick to work and I am going to the doctor this afternoon to see if there is something I can do to break this cycle. This one didn't show up on my lip, it's actually in the red area above my lip that hasn't cleared up from the last sore. It's in a bad spot. Very difficult to cover up. I'm taking lysine, valtrex and using ice. Unfortunately I did not get a warning with this one either.

• MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    That is so frustrating. When I have outbreak after outbreak, I go on 6-8k milligrams of l-lysine a day, plus I use herpecin chapstick.

If I catch it early enough, I immediately use my oral acyclovir prescription, 40 minutes of ice, then abreva (or the topical acyclovir).

If it begins to erupt, I use rubbing alcohol, to clean my lips and tea tree oil to dry it out enough so that it heals faster. I find I need to use neosporin once I'm confident that the virus has healed enough and it's just the skin that needs repair since it dries my lips so much.
    I'm not convinced that Abreva works very well for me. I've been using it, but maybe it's just not fast enough so I think it's not working.

I'm not convinced that Abreva works very well for me. I've been using it, but maybe it's just not fast enough so I think it's not working.

Yea Abreva does nothing for me either. I stopped buying it cuz its such a waste..

"Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
    I got a prescription for the Denavir cream so maybe that will help!

• MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    I got a prescription for the Denavir cream so maybe that will help!

I think Denavir works just like Abreva for me, but I have to use the oral acyclovir too.
    I have the Valtrex so maybe that combo will work. I have my fingers crossed!

So speaking of cold sores - so, I use I get acrylic nails, and found that within like 2 weeks of getting them done, I'd get a cold sore. I was wanting to get my nails done again, but I'm terrified ! Would this be a weird coincidence?!

Who knows! That is weird, but these things have a mind of their own. I wouldn't risk it, but I haven't been having great luck lately.

This morning I woke up with number 4. They are slowly traveling up my face. I've always had them on my lip. I'm so bummed! I feel like this cycle isn't going to end. I immediately took Valtrex and put the Denavir on it. Hopefully that will stop it in its tracks. My doctor was no help!!

I'm worried that there may be something else wrong with me. Why can't I fight these off?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file