Robert Craig red like Emma Stone's?

LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi, all,

I'm thinking about trying to color my own hair, and am interested in going with a Robert Craig red color that is similar to Emma Stone's in the photos below.

Could any of you who are familiar with RC color make a recommendation as to what red might be closest to that color? I've been looking through all the color swatches on their website, and am having a hard time figuring them out!

Thanks so much!:toothy4:
Mod-CG since December 2010.
Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

Comments

  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi! I would say Permanent Hair Color #13 Coppery Golden Blonde - coppery golden blonde
    or Permanent Hair Color #12 Light Auburn - light auburn

    But if that's your hair in the avatar, you will probably have to lighten it first. RC Color does not lighten hair (lacks the peroxide/ammonia to lift, that's what makes it gentle).

    Are you wanting to lighten your hair to get that shade? Or do you want to try just adding a nice red tone to your darker hair? It could work too. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    Hi! I would say Permanent Hair Color #13 Coppery Golden Blonde - coppery golden blonde
    or Permanent Hair Color #12 Light Auburn - light auburn

    But if that's your hair in the avatar, you will probably have to lighten it first. RC Color does not lighten hair (lacks the peroxide/ammonia to lift, that's what makes it gentle).

    Are you wanting to lighten your hair to get that shade? Or do you want to try just adding a nice red tone to your darker hair? It could work too. :)

    Thanks so much, Curlilocks! Yes, my hair is that brown shade. I'm not sure I want to lighten it since I'm trying to keep it as healthy as possible, so perhaps I could just add a darker red tone and give up the idea of that lighter color.

    I really appreciate the help! :flower:
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

  • JohariJohari Posts: 673Registered Users
    I like the color.I think its light auburn with copper highlights...if you dye your hair from a box I heard you should dye it in a shade a little lighter than you want b/c it usually comes out darker than the box if you are dying your hair lighter.

    Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Johari wrote: »
    I like the color.I think its light auburn with copper highlights...if you dye your hair from a box I heard you should dye it in a shade a little lighter than you want b/c it usually comes out darker than the box if you are dying your hair lighter.

    Sent from my SPH-M910 using CurlTalk App

    Thanks, Johari, for the tip! :happy11:
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you want to add red tones, I'd go with henna.

    Or, if you want to follow through with truly getting the same color as Emma Stone's, you might need salon assistance.
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, Ninja Dog! Is henna OK to use on hair that's already dyed? I haven't looked into using henna yet since it seems like there's so much info on it to explore -- and I haven't had the time! :dog:
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, but there is a learning curve (as I found out). Mehandi.com is a good resource.

    HTH.
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Yes, but there is a learning curve (as I found out). Mehandi.com is a good resource.

    HTH.

    Thanks for the link! I used to use henna on my hair years ago in high school, and might re-visit it . . . .
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like it, but it definitely took some learning and experimentation, even on naturally red hair.

    It's good stuff, but proceed with proper caution. :)
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the advice, Ninja Dog! I think I'm worried about ending up with bright orange hair, but I'd love to start using henna since I'd like my hair to be as healthy as possible!
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, dark hair doesn't turn bright orange; you're in no danger. If you use the right kind of henna and do test strands first, you'll be fine.
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's great to know! Maybe I'll wait until the summer (when I'm off from teaching) in case I have a hair disaster! :goofy:
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have hair disasters on a semi-regular basis. It keeps life interesting.
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ninja dog wrote: »
    I have hair disasters on a semi-regular basis. It keeps life interesting.

    LOL! It sure does! ;)
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like putting stuff in and on my hair. Sometimes it's a success, and sometimes it's a....... work in progress.

    Henna for Hair
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    LeanneM wrote: »
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    Hi! I would say Permanent Hair Color #13 Coppery Golden Blonde - coppery golden blonde
    or Permanent Hair Color #12 Light Auburn - light auburn

    But if that's your hair in the avatar, you will probably have to lighten it first. RC Color does not lighten hair (lacks the peroxide/ammonia to lift, that's what makes it gentle).

    Are you wanting to lighten your hair to get that shade? Or do you want to try just adding a nice red tone to your darker hair? It could work too. :)

    Thanks so much, Curlilocks! Yes, my hair is that brown shade. I'm not sure I want to lighten it since I'm trying to keep it as healthy as possible, so perhaps I could just add a darker red tone and give up the idea of that lighter color.

    I really appreciate the help! :flower:
    You're welcome! :) Yep, you could use a darker red to just add some red tone to your hair. If you have any gray, they would become highlights too!

    I haven't used henna myself, I don't think I'd want to deal with the mess and time it takes. RC Color is very gentle and so easy to use! :thumbright:
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    You're welcome! :) Yep, you could use a darker red to just add some red tone to your hair. If you have any gray, they would become highlights too!

    I haven't used henna myself, I don't think I'd want to deal with the mess and time it takes. RC Color is very gentle and so easy to use! :thumbright:

    Thanks so much! Henna does scare me, but I really want to try the RC color. If I get brave, I'll post a photo -- but it probably won't be for another couple of months.
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    LeanneM wrote: »
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    Hi! I would say Permanent Hair Color #13 Coppery Golden Blonde - coppery golden blonde
    or Permanent Hair Color #12 Light Auburn - light auburn

    But if that's your hair in the avatar, you will probably have to lighten it first. RC Color does not lighten hair (lacks the peroxide/ammonia to lift, that's what makes it gentle).

    Are you wanting to lighten your hair to get that shade? Or do you want to try just adding a nice red tone to your darker hair? It could work too. :)

    Thanks so much, Curlilocks! Yes, my hair is that brown shade. I'm not sure I want to lighten it since I'm trying to keep it as healthy as possible, so perhaps I could just add a darker red tone and give up the idea of that lighter color.

    I really appreciate the help! :flower:
    You're welcome! :) Yep, you could use a darker red to just add some red tone to your hair. If you have any gray, they would become highlights too!

    I haven't used henna myself, I don't think I'd want to deal with the mess and time it takes. RC Color is very gentle and so easy to use! :thumbright:

    I've heard good things about RC color, but once you get the mixing and shading for henna right, it's really easy, and inexpensive. I just did my hairline this morning, and all I had to do was thaw out a little bit from a previous use (it keeps for months in the freezer). The $21 investment I made will last me for six months, and would last longer if the strength didn't diminish over time, despite freezing.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    LeanneM wrote: »
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    You're welcome! :) Yep, you could use a darker red to just add some red tone to your hair. If you have any gray, they would become highlights too!

    I haven't used henna myself, I don't think I'd want to deal with the mess and time it takes. RC Color is very gentle and so easy to use! :thumbright:

    Thanks so much! Henna does scare me, but I really want to try the RC color. If I get brave, I'll post a photo -- but it probably won't be for another couple of months.
    Let us know when you post a photo and keep us posted. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much, Ninja dog and Curlilocks! I really appreciate all the help and feedback!
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

  • CurliniCurlini Posts: 258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You've gotten some good advice here. I second the suggestion to check out Henna for Hair - it's an amazing resource. You'll find answers to any questions you have about henna. Henna is much healthier for your hair than any chemical color including Robert Craig. I've used both. Robert Craig isn't as damaging as most chemical coloring and you have more options for hues but since you're looking at reds it seems like you should check out henna. I don't think either is significantly more complicated to use. On the downside, RC will stain any suface it touches. Henna is mixed into a paste. Both have a learning curve. The biggest downside to RC is that it tends to go dark - so if you try it, you should definitely start off a couple of shades lighter than your target. Once you've done all over color with either henna or RC, just do roots after that until you need to refresh your color. I wouldn't recommend lightening your hair prior to coloring - that would be a pain to maintain.
    Good luck!:sunny:
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much, Flippysmom! Those are excellent suggestions! I'm probably going to wait until the summer to research henna, but am definitely going to give it a try!
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file