Pineapple's Suck.

wavywonderlandwavywonderland Registered Users Posts: 44
Does pineappling really work for any of you wavies (preferably 2b/c girls)? For some reason, mine never work and I typically end up having to shower again the next day. I think I'm doing everything right....Pull my hair up into a loose ponytail on the tippity top of my head yadda yadaa with a loose scrunchy blah...I toss and turn a lot, so by the next day my ponytail is too loose and falling off. I'm also not sleeping on a satin pillow case...yet...do any of you sleep on one? Is it successful on the frizz factor? If anyone has a different night time routine, let me know...I am sick of having yucky second day hair :(
2C/3A whurly, medium porosity, medium texture
Co wash: 365 Everyday Value Lavender (HG Status!)
Low Poo: (only when I need to) Rainforest moisture
Rinse-out: 365 Everyday Value Lavender & CNPF
Leave-In: KCKT (HG Status!)
Loves: Coconut oil, protein,
Stylers I Love: KCCC, LASG, Artec Textureline Aero Mousse, Suave CC, KC Spiral Spritz
PT: Aphogee 2 step once every 4 weeks
Best Techniques: Cold water rinse, raking, smasters with KCCC
:love5:

Comments

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    wavywoods wrote: »
    Does pineappling really work for any of you wavies (preferably 2b/c girls)? For some reason, mine never work and I typically end up having to shower again the next day. I think I'm doing everything right....Pull my hair up into a loose ponytail on the tippity top of my head yadda yadaa with a loose scrunchy blah...I toss and turn a lot, so by the next day my ponytail is too loose and falling off. I'm also not sleeping on a satin pillow case...yet...do any of you sleep on one? Is it successful on the frizz factor? If anyone has a different night time routine, let me know...I am sick of having yucky second day hair :(

Your hair looks long - a sleep bun works better for me than a loose pineapple. Try pulling the hair not all the way through the liga so that there is a loop of hair at the top of your head, and a short tail, not a long loose tail. This should hold it more still through the night so it doesn't fall apart.

I actually modify this by scrunching the hair at the nape into bobby pins AND topping it all with a satin hat if I really need everything to work for the next day, (like if I absolutely will not have time and need very good hair) because my under-hair can get too straight otherwise. But usually don't bother and get good results, the hair that shows is all in good shape if it's sleep-bunned overnight.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Well, I have longer 2c-ish hair also, and I do a pineapple every night. I haven't really experimented with very many overnight hair options, but pineappling usually works fairly well. My hair definitely still gets squished during the night and needs some extra product and diffusing in the morning, but that really only takes five minutes, tops. And it beats sleeping on my anything-but-silk pillow case with my hair completely down, because my hair is a flat, squished, frizzy mess after that! ;) Another thing that helps me is to not do my ponytail TOO loose. I know it's supposed to be loose so it doesn't squish the curl and everything, but it holds everything in better when it's tighter, and my hair will fall out of the scrunchie, like you said, if I don't tie it tighter. Also, do you re-wet or anything in the morning? I usually get nice, right-outta-the-pineapple hair in the summer, when my hair is curlier and bouncier. But in the wintertime, I need to do some 2nd day hair fixing to get it to look nice.

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • MKcurlyMKcurly Registered Users Posts: 103 Curl Neophyte
    I have 2c/3a hair and cannot pineapple. I have a lot of hair so once the hair tie goes around twice I have a loose ponytail but in the morning there's an indentation from where the scrunchy was. Plus all the curls by my face have been pulled out and my hair tends to stay pulled up to give me weird cowlicks.

Instead I sleep with it down and in the morning get my hands wet and scrunch my hair. If I had used a strong hold gel(HESMU) the day before that's all I need. If I had used a medium/light gel(HETT) I need to add a little more after it's gotten wet. My hair in the back never gets too messed up but the front half is terrible when I wake up. At the sink I just get it damp enough that the curls/waves start to form. By the time I'm ready to leave it's normally dry. HTH
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    Pineapples make my scalp hurt. I rinse or wash my hair at night and style it in the morning. That way I don't take allergens and dirt and itchy hair products to bed with me. I have a slippery pillowcase and I definitely have far less "bedhead" when I use it. And less "I can't fall asleep because my scalp itches" when my hair tugs against the pillowcase.
  • LizardlooLizardloo Registered Users Posts: 75
    I found that 1. It gives me migraines and 2. My hair is bsl so basically the pineapple wasn't doing a thing for me anyway. I just throw my hair up over my pillow and get pretty much the same results.
    Mod CG
    Normal 2b, my hair loves protein right now!

LowPoo/NoPoo: Renpure (green or red), BB, Deva NoPoo
    RO: OneC, Y2Cu
    Leave In: Y2Cu, CG Beauticulrs
    Style: CIAB, Garnier pure clean gel, AIF, SS CEJ, CCCL
    PT: Ion Effective Care or IAGirls' PT
  • loremipsumloremipsum Registered Users Posts: 162 Curl Novice
    Count me in as one who gets pineapple headaches. They don't work at all for me. I have to pull my hair tight-ish to get it all in the scrunchie, which effectively straightens it. If I leave it loose, it just falls out over the course of the night and my hair ends up tangled and frizzy.

Bundling my hair in a silk scarf works better, but given that I can't get second day hair no matter what, it's kind of useless. But it might work for you!
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Registered Users Posts: 640
    I have very heavy hair, it's verrrrry thick and a good two or so inches past the bottom of my bra strap, so piling it on top of my head really hurts! I just can't deal with the weird scalp feeling it gives me. I just sort of throw my hair over my pillow so it's not smooshed up or being flattened or anything. I don't toss and turn much, so it works fine. :)
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • wavywonderlandwavywonderland Registered Users Posts: 44
    Last night I threw it over the pillow and it actually came out alright this morning! Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
    Stylers I Love: KCCC, LASG, Artec Textureline Aero Mousse, Suave CC, KC Spiral Spritz
  • wednesdaywednesday Registered Users Posts: 53
    I just throw mine over the pillow too :)
    My hair is so short, if I pineappled, all of it would be straight by the next morning haha.

Btw, you have really pretty hair!
    -Straight hair until 4/11
    -Started CG 12/26/11

Co-wash/RO/LI: Beautiful Curls Leave-In Conditioner for Wavy to Curly Hair
    Gel: Beautiful Curls Hair Gel

Routine...
    -cowash/condition/leave-in condition
    -comb hair
    -supersoak and apply KCCC
    -plop for 15-20 min
    -plop a pineapple overnight
    -just pineapple for second day hair

Short 2b and growing out!
    Thanks for reading :)
  • wavywonderlandwavywonderland Registered Users Posts: 44
    wednesday wrote: »

Btw, you have really pretty hair!

Thanks so much!
  • Wavy7sWavy7s Registered Users Posts: 68 Curl Neophyte
    loremipsum wrote: »
    Count me in as one who gets pineapple headaches. They don't work at all for me. I have to pull my hair tight-ish to get it all in the scrunchie, which effectively straightens it. If I leave it loose, it just falls out over the course of the night and my hair ends up tangled and frizzy.

Same for me. I toss and turn too much to just drape my hair on my pillow, so I'm still in search of a way to not totally squash my waves and curls at night.
    2b/c
    Fine, low porosity, med density, normal elasticity.
    Dislikes: Aloe by itself, cheap gels, and heavy butters
    Co-wash: CJ Daily Fix
    Condish: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: Curlsmith Oil-in-Cream
    Stylers: CJ Curl Queen, Flaxseed gel, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic.
    PT: CJ Repair Me or IA Girls PT w/ mag. sulfate,
    DT: CJ Rehab and Righteous Roots Hair Rx or Pre-poo oil.
  • AwesomewavyAwesomewavy Registered Users Posts: 46
    I pineapple plopped last night and the ends came out fabulous but when I took the scrunchie out my hair had a line around the middle and my hair is thick so it stayed poufed out! I'm thinking of draping my hair over a pilow tonight.
    2b waves! :love4:
    Co-wash:Live clean fresh water condish
    Rinse out:GFTN
    Leave in:GFTN
    Gel: GFPC,FSG
    Occasional cleanses:Live clean ACV shampoo

Recently CG dec 23!
    Recent length: bra strap
    Grow out challenge:waist length :blob3:
  • luvscurlzluvscurlz Registered Users Posts: 109
    Pinappling does preserve my curls and prevents frizz but I don't do it because it also makes my hair bigger and I'm not interested in that. Maybe it will work better for me when my hair is longer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.lenasblend.com
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    Count me in as one who drapes over the pillow. It isn't perfect. I do sometimes pineapple, and since my hair is long too, just past BSL, I have secured it on top with a few small jaw clips in the center of my head so as to have enough room to sleep on my side(s) without touching the clips...I suppose a few bobby pins would also do the trick to keep the length from moving around too much. As for dents...I just flip over and massage my scalp a little at my roots to even it out a little. I should look into a satin cap though.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• Jas76Jas76 Registered Users Posts: 2,283 Curl Neophyte
    My friend says she "dry plops" at night with a silk scarf. (she made it herself from some fabric from the fabric store.)

Sounds like it would be hard to me, and she said it took a little practice, but that she gets the best results from it.
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I pineapple my hair every night, but I only even consider trying for second day hair 1 or 2 days a week. I definitely get very inconsistent results from it. I'm intrigued by this dry plop idea, but concerned that I would end up with some really nasty tangled hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    I think pineapples work best on those with stronger, more resilient curl patterns.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• Jas76Jas76 Registered Users Posts: 2,283 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, her hair is about shoulder length now, but she said she also did it when her hair was longer (BSL).

Seems like it would be hard to plop it on such slick fabric, but she said after you get used to it, it really works. Not sure how different it is from a sleeping cap, but there you go. (she said it holds more securely?)

And I agree - pineapples work better for those with mre resilient patterns!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Registered Users Posts: 557
    For me pineapples works great. I used to drape hair over pillow, but I get more tangles that way and the waves get more flat. When I pineapple I get great volume and better defined waves.

Sent from my HTC Legend using CurlTalk App
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • britney.britney. Registered Users Posts: 292
    Pineappling works fine for me. It preserves my curls well enough. My hair doesn't look as great as it does originally, but I don't think anything will keep my hair looking like first day hair! I also like how pineappling gives my hair a lot of volume too! I also have waist length hair curly and it's hip length when it's straight, so my hair is pretty long but it still works fine.
    2c/3a some 3b/Thick/Fine texture?/High Porosity
    Currently trying out the CG method again as of 1/3/12!

Current Routine:
    Co-wash/RO: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Low poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (when needed)
    Products: LA Looks Sports Gel and Curly Kinks Coil Jam

• ChikyuuChikyuu Registered Users Posts: 268
    Pineappling doesn't work for me either. Maybe pineapple or plop your hair into a beanie or silk sleeping or shower cap before bed?
    PhoneCurtainScale.jpgPhoneFrontScale.jpgWEbcamHaircutscale.jpg
    2c or something MODCG Since December 2011!
    New May 20th Routine
    Low-poo:SheaM
    Co-wash:VO5 KiwiLime or VanillaMint
    LI:TN, Regis OliveOil Condish, GVP CB
    Styler: LALSG
    Daily routine: Cleanse, LI, soak with water, scrunch in gel, plop, pixie diffuse, air dry.

• WavyshibbyWavyshibby Registered Users Posts: 165
    Pinappleing+my hair= total fail. Usually I don't even try for second day because it looks frizzy, but if I really need to I spray Devacurl Set it Free into dry curls and then dry plop overnight. In the morning my curls are bouncy and still in tact but it looks slightly disheveled, but still wearable. I spray Set It Free again and I'm fine :) for reference I have 2c/3a hair that's been looking more 3a nowadays.
    2c/3a, fine texture, normal porosity, medium-to-thick
    Co wash: Vo5 Extra Body
    Conditioners: Deva One Condition, GVP CB, Loreal Evercurl
    Stylers: Devacurl ArcAngel, KCCC, AG Recoil, Iso Bouncy Creme, Ecostyler Krystal, CCCCL, KCKT
    Low Poo: Devacurl NoPoo, GTTT
    Hair likes: plopping, diffusing, SMaster's, coconut and argan oil, honey, protein
    "What makes a woman unforgettable? Her mind...surrounded by lots of naturally curly hair"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file