I have a splinter jammed under my fingernail.

It's too far under the nail bed to tweeze or pick out. I'm about to try and cut the nail down but even with it cut down I'm not sure if I can reach the splinter. It hurts, very badly.

Advice.

Please.

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Soak it in warm saltwater?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you soaked it in plain warm water, your skin will absorb the water and get puffy. The puffiness could push the splinter farther out so you can reach it. (I'm pretty sure that skin doesn't absorb saltwater as much.) I know for sure that this is useful for splinters that are deeply embedded in skin, and I'd imagine it would work for your situation. I just worry that the puffiness won't push out the splinter, and will instead just make the skin even more gouged by the splinter.

Good luck!!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Omg it is SO painful.

I cleaned it with Betadine, and Orajel numbed it just enough to clip the nail down. Clipping was agony without the Orajel.

I made a paste of baking soda, glopped it on, then secured it all with bandaid and tape. I'm sleeping in a glove; I'll take it all down tomorrow and work on it. SMDH

Sent from my SPH-M580 using CurlTalk App
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that. If nothing works, there's no shame in seeing a doctor.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    The baking soda paste didn't draw it out but it feels a lot better. Some of the swelling is gone and it's nowhere near as tender as yesterday. I see no way to get it out myself.

I'm going to do one of the following:

--keep it clean and see if it grows out....or something

--Numb it up and perhaps TRY to cut down more nail and get at it with sterilized needles

--Last resort unfortunately would be the doc bc I have no insurance and my money's low. I'm a temp at my present job but they have a employee facility; I'll see if I can go there.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using CurlTalk App
  • VerityVerity Posts: 616Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm just wondering how this story ended.

The same thing happened to me once, and I ended up at the doctor's office to have the splinter removed.
  • phil sebbenphil sebben Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    i too am wondering how this ends. im in identical situation. tomorrow i'm supposed to play guitar  but this will make it impossible. no baking soda....any advice....after 7 years of no comments?
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    edited April 2018
    LOL. Welcome, @phil sebben !  I'm guessing you'll have to visit doctor to have it removed. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Don't mess around with this. It could become infected and your entire body could go septic in a matter of days. MRSA, necrotizing fascitis, streptococci, meningitis.....

• nobodyinparticularnobodyinparticular Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Cut off your finger, all your problems will be solved :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file