Questions about CG Method...

wednesdaywednesday Registered Users Posts: 53
I saw a thread on here with befores and afters of CG, and it looks amazing! I haven't used a sulfate shampoo in years, and I always let it air dry...but I guess that's all I've been doing.

The only products I have are from Fairy Tales, natural/organic kids haircare. I have the Fairy Tales Conditioning Shampoo, Fairy Tales Energizing Leave-in, and Fairy Tales Curly-Q Curl Making Gel. Since I got these, I've been shampooing, leave-in conditioning, and gelling up twice/3 times a week.

Also, I got fed up with my 2c hair that gets frizzy and unpredictable, so I just got Curlformers. I started using them last night, and they made very good ringlets!

Ooooh, and for Christmas, I got Argan Oil. Here are my questions:

1) For co-washing, could I wash my hair with my leave-in conditioner AND use it as a leave-in?
2) How should I incorporate the Argan Oil?
3) Could I use Curlformers with the CG method? Also, are Curlformers bad for your hair?
4) How often do I cowash?
5) How often do I clarify? And can I use the Fairy Tales Conditioning Shampoo to do it?
6) What is plopping? Can I do it with short hair?
7) Are there certain ways I have to sleep? Do I have to wear something on my head?

The Curlformers are good and all, but my hair is pretty short, and it makes me look like I came right out of the 20s, haha. I think I might use them after my hair grows a bit. However, if CG works, I might not have to use them at all!

Thank you so much!
-Straight hair until 4/11
-Started CG 12/26/11

Co-wash/RO/LI: Beautiful Curls Leave-In Conditioner for Wavy to Curly Hair
Gel: Beautiful Curls Hair Gel

Routine...
-cowash/condition/leave-in condition
-comb hair
-supersoak and apply KCCC
-plop for 15-20 min
-plop a pineapple overnight
-just pineapple for second day hair

Short 2b and growing out!
Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    This probably isn't the answer that you want to hear, but you will only be able to answer some of those questions through trial and error. The most important part of CG is learning to understand what your hair likes. Most of us like different products and have vastly different routines. I saw someone recommend keeping a journal of what you do to you hair each day along with what you think of the results to get an idea of what your hair likes. Some people strictly co-wash, others strictly low-poo, and there is every variation in between.

What I can answer...
    From what I've read, oil is used to seal the ends of your hair. I have not tried this yet myself, but there a lot of people who swear by it.
    There is no problem with using the Curlformers
    There is a link on plopping in one of the stickies under general hair discussion and also on the newbie thread (it's listed as info on techniques). I think you probably need at least a little length for this.
    I know that pineappling is recommended for longer hair, for shorter hair you could probably try a satin pillowcase or satin hair bonnet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • curlspeakcurlspeak Registered Users Posts: 18
    1) For co-washing, could I wash my hair with my leave-in conditioner AND use it as a leave-in?

Yes - I currently use GVP Conditioning balm, Tressemme Naturals or Deva One Condition. Whichever I decide to use (GVP is my absolute favorite) I use as a do-wash and leave in.

2) How should I incorporate the Argan Oil?

As the other poster said, you use it to seal. After your leave in you use the oil to seel in the moisture.

3) Could I use Curlformers with the CG method? Also, are Curlformers bad for your hair?

I've not heard anyone say curlformers are bad. That being said, I have a bunch of them, tried them once and found that I was yanking on my hair waaaay to much. I'll revisit them in the future, but I supposed it's important to know how to use them. Obviously, I don't.

4) How often do I cowash?

I follow the same schedule as mahagony curls on youtube since I learned a lot about cg from her. I wash M-W. I DC overnight on Thur. I wash on Friday and sometimes I don't wash again on saturday or sunday. I think more washing = more moisture and for me that's important.
    Everday or every other day won't hurt.

5) How often do I clarify? And can I use the Fairy Tales Conditioning Shampoo to do it?

I clarify about 1x a month. Friday I used KC come clean. I've used it before but after co washing for a month, boy did my hair not like this product. Normaly I used dava no poo. I would use a sulfate if I have used cones, otherwise I think the deva no poo works to remove buildup.

6) What is plopping? Can I do it with short hair?

Yes, you can plop, if you like. After you finish with your products just wrap your hair in an old tee shirt or micro fiber towel to obsorb some of the moisture. My hair is tighter then yours so if I plop I let the product obsorb in my hair for 15 minutes or so before plopping. It's good for getting some of the water out of your hair if it's time for bed and your hair is still really wet. (I do not blowdry)

7) Are there certain ways I have to sleep? Do I have to wear something on my head?

You should NOT sleep on cotton. either use a satin pillow case, or use a satin bonnet ( sallys, walmart, target). The reason is cotton will obsorb the oils from your hair and make it dry. plus it'll cause frizz, the friction between your hair and the cotton.

I would buy the Curlly Girl book by Lorraine Massey. The new version has a DVD with demos. Plus there's a wealth of information in it, and she's the inventor of the method. I will give you a good foundation on going CG.
    Your hair might be a little greasy or frizzy or something as it gets used to the method. You have to stick with it. It could take weeks or even a few months to see the final benefit. I absolutely love this method.

The Curlformers are good and all, but my hair is pretty short, and it makes me look like I came right out of the 20s, haha. I think I might use them after my hair grows a bit. However, if CG works, I might not have to use them at all!

Thank you so much![/QUOTE]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file